Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DOWN
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Art
brooklyneast05

Postmodern neoclassical painter Kehinde Wiley wears his vintage European aesthetic influences on his sleeve, and in “Fallen,” Wiley’s new show of massive-scale (up to 25 feet) oil paintings at downtown NYC’s Deitch Projects, his inspiration has never been more literal. Based directly on a wide variety of classical European paintings and sculptures by old masters like Diego Velasquez, Jean-Antoine Houdon, Auguste Falguiere, and Stefano Maderno, the “fallen” heroes of Wiley’s new series mimic their source poses almost exactly albeit in the ultramodern context of the urban hip-hop vernacular of urban Manhattan.

Wiley’s own explanation for the series is really quite simple: “Down is an answer to the negative views of young black men in American society. It recognizes an idiom that can be seen from a distance as a negative form transformed into something more fabulous and joyful.”

“Christian Martyr Tarcisius,” by Auguste Falguiere

“The Virgin Martyr St. Cecilia,” by Stefano Maderno

“Morpheus,” by Jean-Antoine Houdon

“Lamentation Over The Dead Christ,” by Andrea Mantegna

“Femme Piquee par un Serpent,” by Auguste Clesinger

Simba
new inspiration
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Nov 23 2008, 08:30 PM) *
new inspiration

exactly my / xmas.gif

so much cool stuff you could do just by recreating old compositions.
Simba
hail yeah I been meaning to hit the library and grab so books on old school artists

this ninja's good, I thought these were photographs at first (I probably will try a photograph version)
Joanne
Oh damn, I wish you posted this sooner... it would have really helped with my written assignment for Graphic Design!
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Nov 23 2008, 08:44 PM) *
Oh damn, I wish you posted this sooner... it would have really helped with my written assignment for Graphic Design!

i was going to actually! i saw this at a few different blogs, but none had all the images and i wanted to get the images of the originals to go with it so i was too lazy to get to that. then i came across a post that had it all so that reminded me.

anyway, what was your assignment, out of curiosity?
Tung
I like his nike dunks
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Tung @ Nov 23 2008, 08:51 PM) *
I like his nike dunks

seasonal0.gif
sixfive
SYNDROME
hi-C
I want to see this exhibit so bad. I miss NY.
Janette
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 23 2008, 04:27 PM) *

that's hot.

i wish i could go, too. sad.gif
brooklyneast05
Janette
damn. eyebrowes.gif
brooklyneast05
it's a really pretty piece. the scale is just...crazy, i can't believe something so finely done is so huge. ima own it someday, just watch.
Joanne
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 23 2008, 04:50 PM) *
anyway, what was your assignment, out of curiosity?

Look for a modern day advertisement or promotion that utilizes or interprets a compositional style from design/art history (eg. Russian Constructivism, Art Deco, Swiss Modern, etc).

I realize now that I couldn't have actually used this because they're not used for advertising. But I bet I could have convinced my TA...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.