Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Art & Forgery
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Art
batman
So, we're required to write a research paper in my Art Humanities class.

The topic I discussed with my teacher was forgery which I understand is a ... really vague topic that can be approached in many different ways. My issue is narrowing it down to one case or one view that won't end up turning into a circular argument.

I was thinking about the following:

1) Why forgery is bad legally, but good economically.

2) The case of the Etruscan statues at the Met (that existed for about 30 years before getting marked as a forgery).

Does anybody have possible ideas that would be interesting to research and write a 15 page paper about?
brooklyneast05
so uh, did you ever decide on one? i was going to come back to this topic but forgot, not that i had any good ideas though. 15 pages is so f*cking long.
batman
lol yeah, i'm writing about meegeren and his fake vermeers. :D
brooklyneast05
that's a good one. van meegeren was da mayne cool.gif

you know i always think it's amazing the lengths people go through to be able to forge these kind of things. i mean you can't be a shitty painter and forge something to the extent it will pass off as an original. i always wonder what if these people had just done their own thing instead of spending so much time doing someone elses.
batman
Yeah, I know. Apparently, there's been research done that while forgery's illegal, it economically beneficial. I'd probably like to do more personal research on that if I have the time.

http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/05..._laocoonfrm.htm

hehe, Lynn Catterson's my professor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.