Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Tried to Quit Smoking
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Pages: 1, 2
fameONE
I stay in shape by going to the gym religiously, running in this arid weather, and playing basketball, but I smoke a pack and a half a day. A couple weeks ago, I decided to cut back on smoking to just under a pack a day. I didn't feel any better. In fact, I felt worse. For the first time, I started developing a smoker's cough. It freaked me out so I tried to quit cold turkey. Shortly after, I caught the flu and I was miserable.

Now I'm back to smoking a pack a day and I feel great. What the hell is going on?
datass
try to smoke one less cigarette a day. research about quitting smoking. i forgot, its the nicotine that makes you want more right? maybe those stickers will help.
batman
Well, quitting an addiction isn't supposed to be easy. You're probably going through nicotine withdrawal which includes symptoms similar to a cold (bc your lungs are starting to clear out). Read this: http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/withdrawal1.htm

AyeVickaye
Uggghs cancer sticks? I bet you'd hella quit if they raised to prices for $50 a pack. Try them pills tv always be advertsing...maybe they'll work
fameONE
After I posted this, I got my hands on the patch.

Fck the patch. I started having some wild dreams that were reminiscent of an acid trip. No fun. mellow.gif

If I quit completely, then so be it. I actually like smoking but I don't want to smoke as much as I do because I know it's bad for me.
applejaxkz
Every time my girlfriend says she's going to quit, she really just cuts down. And then picks back up a few weeks to a month later. She did quit for a month and a half though. One strategy she used was to change cigarettes to a brand that she absolutely hated. So she wouldn't totally enjoy it.

To me, a cigarette is a cigarette. Good luck though.
batman
QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 12 2008, 11:27 PM) *
I actually like smoking but I don't want to smoke as much as I do because I know it's bad for me.

I actually quite like smoking, too. It's relaxing and it gives you a light buzz.

I only smoke once every 2-3 weeks or so, though, so I don't consider myself a smoker. It is bad for you, so I do think you should cut down. Smoking is such an expensive way to destroy your body. sad.gif
applejaxkz
QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 13 2008, 12:02 AM) *
Smoking is such an expensive way to destroy your body.

Oh so true. It's disgusting how much my girlfriend spends on cigarettes, even when she buys cheap ones.
paperplane
I'm so glad that I don't particularly like smoking.
fameONE
I bought a pack of gum and I don't have an extra pack of smokes on me today. It's a step in the right direction.
batman
QUOTE(applejaxkz @ Nov 13 2008, 12:09 AM) *
Oh so true. It's disgusting how much my girlfriend spends on cigarettes, even when she buys cheap ones.

yeah.

it's $8-10/pack in NYC sad.gif
Tomates
everytime you get a craving chew a piece of gum or eat a mint.
Or try patches.
fameONE
QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 14 2008, 12:54 PM) *
everytime you get a craving chew a piece of gum or eat a mint.
Or try patches.

I won't do the patch ever again. If you only knew the kind of dreams I had. ph34r.gif
manic
I would get out of any mindset you have that the cigarettes keep you from feeling sick. For smokers, and especially those with acute bronchitis, the winter is prone to bring about sicknesses that we are more susceptible to.
karmakiller
^ I don't he'll have a problem with the winter.

My brothers have this crazy talent of quitting cold turkey and not having any problems besides sounding like they're coughing up a lung for a few days. It goes away and they handle the cravings pretty easily. It's good thing that you don't love smoking, otherwise it'd be a lot harder to fight cravings.
cakedout
only real way to quit, is to go cold turkey, first few weeks may seem like hell though
fire
Mmmmmmm lung cancer.
Joss-eh-lime
i know someone that quit, but while quitting they gained so much weight and stupid stuff like that.

gawsh smoking is disgust.
fameONE
QUOTE(manic @ Nov 15 2008, 05:31 PM) *
I would get out of any mindset you have that the cigarettes keep you from feeling sick. For smokers, and especially those with acute bronchitis, the winter is prone to bring about sicknesses that we are more susceptible to.

I'm pretty dependent on smoking to get me through my day.

^ I don't he'll have a problem with the winter.

My brothers have this crazy talent of quitting cold turkey and not having any problems besides sounding like they're coughing up a lung for a few days. It goes away and they handle the cravings pretty easily. It's good thing that you don't love smoking, otherwise it'd be a lot harder to fight cravings.

I don't have a problem with the winter, either. I'd rather smoke when it's cold out, though. I can't explain it, but it just feels better. My problem is, and I've stated this before, is that I enjoy it.

only real way to quit, is to go cold turkey, first few weeks may seem like hell though

I'm working on it. _unsure.gif

Mmmmmmm lung cancer.

Mmmmmm, addiction.

i know someone that quit, but while quitting they gained so much weight and stupid stuff like that.

gawsh smoking is disgust.

Your responses suck. mellow.gif
Joss-eh-lime
^i just dont have enough life experience to give valubale responses... eh. i'll get there.
fameONE
QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 30 2008, 12:50 AM) *
^i just dont have enough life experience to give valubale responses... eh. i'll get there.

console.gif
ChaoticHeartCrash
I have smoked a crap load in my life and I have yet to be addicted. I haven't touched one in 2 years and don't plan on it.

Think of the pregnant woman who have to inhale inconsiderate people's smoke.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 28 2008, 05:51 PM) *

melissa and da cb 's

me and my santa hat, javonn and his alcohol bottle, kc and his soulja boy fitted hat, brandon smokin his newports and jairus and his fancy jeans.
let's draw more, i did mine here

^i see you smokin up there my , you better stop that stubborn.gif
Simba
QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 12 2008, 11:27 PM) *
Fck the patch. I started having some wild dreams that were reminiscent of an acid trip. No fun. mellow.gif
lmao why does that sound good to me?

*buys some patches*
carolannexbh
Well my parents both tried to quit. My dad was successful and my mom was for a while but went back to it. My dad would eat a handful of sunflower seeds anytime he had an urge to have a cigarette. My mom used Chantix, and it did work, but I'm pretty sure she stopped using it. You could always pinch yourself really hard anytime you have an urge mellow.gif Thats what my friend did. Really wierd, but it worked along with the sunflower seeds.
Comptine
Nicotine withdrawal symptoms, like others said, can make you feel sick.

Find something else to occupy your mouth with when you get the urge. Like chewing gum or sucking on candy.

I'm part of an organization that teaches health workshops and I sat in on the Tobacco one. I'm not trying to lecture you but maybe these will give you extra incentive to stick to quitting since you already plan to:

-You feel the health benefits of quitting smoking within 20 minutes of your last cigarette. Within a few months, you lungs become healthier and breathing becomes easier. Within a few years, your risk of stroke, cancer, and heart disease decreases.
-Each cigarette a person smokes shortens their life by 11 minutes.
imperfectionistx
My mom told my dad she wouldn't marry him if he didn't quit smoking. He quit.

I'd go with what other people are saying and try occupying yourself with other things when you get the urge.

Or just picture a healthy lung, then picture a dark black, full-of-holes-and-cancer, slathered in tar, decaying, and disgusting thing shaped like a lung and tell yourself that is what your insides will end up looking like unless you stop smoking.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...=1&ct=title thumbsup.gif
cakedout
QUOTE(Comptine @ Dec 7 2008, 12:05 AM) *
-Each cigarette a person smokes shortens their life by 11 minutes.

f*ck, i just lost 11 minutes
batman
yeah and you're the reasons why my kittens keep dying. sad.gif
Kay-
I quit smoking over the summer and it gets pretty hard. Try doing something that makes you focuse on something else =]
gojira
dawg aren't you like 14. damn
KINGdinguhling
lmao
fameONE
So, I'm back to quitting again. I'm doing well. I haven't smoked more than five cigarettes in a given day, in over two weeks.
Rachel
In that case, NO newports in your care package!
superstitious
QUOTE(AyeVickaye @ Nov 12 2008, 08:12 PM) *
Uggghs cancer sticks?

UGH, I hate that name. It's so damn overused. (No offense, I swear)

Brandon, I've tried everything from patches, acupuncture, nic gum, injections, hypnosis... Nothing has totally worked. Thing is, I know I can quit, because I didn't smoke at all when I was pregnant. It's very odd.

It doesn't surprise me that you had some bronchial issues when weening. Your lungs are trying to heal. Ok, it's not exactly that, but something pretty familiar to it.

Give it a couple of weeks. Chew regular gum when you feel like you have to physically do something with your mouth. (Ok, even I can't keep a straight face reading that sentence)
batman
^ well, i don't really think not smoking for pregnancy counts as quitting. because you know that at some point, you'll be able to smoke again.

for me, "quitting" something for lent (no, i'm not religious) was always easy, but i'm starting to realize that the reason it's so easy is because you know the period of abstinence will come to an end.

i was able to give up meat for lent and i actually became a vegetarian for a year, thinking it was pretty easy.

the thing is, actually quitting something means that you'll never be able to do it again. ever.

idk, i think that's a little different.
fameONE
QUOTE(Rachel @ Jan 29 2009, 06:38 AM) *
In that case, NO newports in your care package!

sad.gif

Give it a couple of weeks. Chew regular gum when you feel like you have to physically do something with your mouth. (Ok, even I can't keep a straight face reading that sentence)

Dirty, dirty girl. shifty.gif
saintsaens
Try smoking weed as an alternative. I heard it's worked for a few of my friends.

But hey, that might not be an option for some people.
fameONE
QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 09:53 AM) *
Try smoking weed as an alternative. I heard it's worked for a few of my friends.

Military + Controlled Substances = Jail time and a bad conduct discharge

Negative, Korea. Negative.
saintsaens
I JUST WANTED TO HELP! fallen.gif

-edit

But in all honesty, though, I picked up smoking again. Marlboro Lights, bro.
fameONE
QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 10:35 AM) *
I JUST WANTED TO HELP! fallen.gif
-edit

But in all honesty, though, I picked up smoking again. Marlboro Lights, bro.

console.gif There, there.

Comptine
QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 01:53 AM) *

Studies have shown that weed might be a worse (better?) carcinogen than cigarettes. Meaning, you're more likely to get cancer from smoking weed.

How's the not smoking going?

KINGdinguhling
click to enlarge

hope you got a strong will there
fameONE
QUOTE(KINGdinguhling @ Jan 30 2009, 12:13 PM) *

you're a bastard, lol
KINGdinguhling
haha i know i know, but you gotta admit, its hard

gojira
in with the cuteness _smile.gif
click to enlarge

my friend told me how his uncle did it. he collected all his cigarette butts in a jar for purpose of downing it. if he could swallow one whole sip, he would continue smoking but he couldn't.
brooklyneast05
damn that's intense
gojira
illriginal
Do NOT buy patches or anything that HAS nicotine just to stop smoking cigarettes. Honestly, that's pointless. You need to go cold turkey, if you drive I can guarantee before you even hit the main road, you light up a cigarette. So if you want start with cutting down... do NOT smoke in your car.

Your brain is literally programmed into believing that a cigarette or nicotine for that matter is part of your everyday life.. as if it's like eating a meal for nutrients. The only way to quit successfully and fast is by cold turkey. Otherwise the action of reaching in to your pocket for your pack, the action of reaching for your lighter, the action of moving your hands together to light up a cigarette, the action of puttin your hand up to your face, the action of putting the cigarette up to your lips, the action of taking a drag will inevitably be a physical addiction or in other words, programmed into your mind.

I used to smoke cigarettes, for 6 months actually... then decided to quit them. I realized that I was literally paying $20-$25 a week to only harm my body which will later cause me to have a degrading death.
BOSS
QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 11 2009, 09:23 AM) *
You need to go cold turkey
I realized that I was literally paying $20-$25 a week to only harm my body which will later cause me to have a degrading death.

Agree and wtf 25 a week? Thats basically a pack a day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.