Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my jaw hurts
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
brooklyneast05
my jaw hurts when i open a lot, like when i yawn. it hurts up around my ear. it's giving me a headache.

this ever happened to anyone?
Tomates
weird. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me last week. Sometimes i even hear/feel a cracking noise.
I dont know if you want to hear the rest of my headache story so i will just leave it at that.
brooklyneast05
did it fix itself?

i don't know what the deal is but it's driving my crazy. it feels almost...out of place? or something. i don't know it pissing me off though.

chewing doesn't hurt, but it's still uncomfortable feeling.
Tomates
yeah, it went away, though i had a sinus thing also which only made things for me worse.
but yeah i get what you mean, have you ever had braces or anything?
brooklyneast05
nope.
Tomates
well that might explain it, mine was suppose to stop after my braces got taken off so idk why it still does it sometimes.
I guess if it doesnt stop doing it maybe see if you can get it checked out?
dosomethin888
You may grind your teeth at night. My jaw started to crack if I opened it too wide and one time It got stuck while half way open. It turns out I have TMJ and I need to wear a night gaurd when I sleep.

May be what you have =/
so0o_contagious
^aw beat me to it.

did you have a cold recently? if you did, sometimes the built up mucus gets pushed to your ears from the pressure.

if not, it could be a temperomandibular joint disorder. or also known as tmj. the temperomandibular joints are the muscles bones and tendons that enable us to open our jaws. i would get it checked out.

What are TMJ disorders, and how are they caused?

TMJ disorders are a group of complex problems of the jaw joint. TMJ disorders are also sometimes referred to as myofacial pain dysfunction and Costen's syndrome. Because muscles and joints work together, a problem with either one can lead to stiffness, headaches, ear pain, bite problems (malocclusion), clicking sounds, or locked jaws. The following are behaviors or conditions that can lead to TMJ disorders.

-Teeth grinding and teeth clenching (bruxism) increase the wear on the cartilage lining of the TMJ. Those who grind or clench their teeth may be unaware of this behavior unless they are told by someone observing this pattern while sleeping or by a dental professional noticing telltale signs of wear and tear on the teeth. Many patients awaken in the morning with jaw or ear pain.

-habitual gum chewing or fingernail biting

-dental problems and misalignment of the teeth (malocclusion). Patients may complain that it is difficult to find a comfortable bite or that the way their teeth fit together has changed. Chewing on only one side of the jaw can lead to or be a result of TMJ problems.

-trauma to the jaws. Previous fractures in the jaw or facial bones can lead to TMJ disorders.

-Stress frequently leads to unreleased nervous energy. It is very common for people under stress to release this nervous energy by either consciously or unconsciously grinding and clenching their teeth.

-Occupational tasks such as holding the telephone between the head and shoulder may contribute to TMJ disorders.

-http://www.medicinenet.com/temporomandibular_joint__disorder/article.htm
dosomethin888
QUOTE(so0o_contagious @ Oct 23 2008, 05:41 PM) *
^aw beat me to it.

did you have a cold recently? if you did, sometimes the built up mucus gets pushed to your ears from the pressure.

if not, it could be a temperomandibular joint disorder. or also known as tmj. the temperomandibular joints are the muscles bones and tendons that enable us to open our jaws. i would get it checked out.

HA!
hi-C
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 23 2008, 05:49 PM) *
my jaw hurts when i open a lot
That's what she said.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(hi-C @ Oct 23 2008, 07:13 PM) *
That's what she said.

i know i know, that's the reply i keep getting from people stubborn.gif

maybe i do clinch my teeth, i'm not really sure.
espressive
most people don't know that they grind their teeth at night. usually your dentist will tell you if he/she thinks that you do. the solution is pretty easy. you just wear a mouth guard thing when you go to sleep!

or maybe it's just something very simple like from chewing too much (ex: gum, Cliffs bars)
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(espressive @ Oct 23 2008, 08:01 PM) *

or maybe it's just something very simple like from chewing too much (ex: gum, Cliffs bars)

oh snap, a fellow clif bar eater?
dosomethin888
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 23 2008, 07:03 PM) *

You can get a mouth gaurd at walmart.. I got one made for me from the dentist and I've already grinded 2 holes in it. lol.
Amaranthus
My jaw hurts cuz a big monster rammed into me while playing arena football

/endrant.

No but seriously, I heard that cracking sound comes when you're not properly hydrated.
misoshiru
too many blowjobs? keke.

just kidding. yeah, I used to kind of have that. Except, it got to the point where I almost couldn't open my mouth to eat. I went to the dentist and he told me the joints of my jaw were swollen.
datass
happened to me too. hurts also when i bite down hard. it went away in a week or so.
espressive
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 23 2008, 08:03 PM) *

heck yeahhhh
hi-C
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 23 2008, 08:14 PM) *
i know i know, that's the reply i keep getting from people stubborn.gif
Sorry console.gif It had to be said, though. It's like, perfect set up!
brooklyneast05
my jaw hurts still, and i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i am clinching my teeth. i've caught myself numerous times now that i've been paying more attention. the only thing though is i don't know why i am all the sudden.
brooklyneast05
actually, i'm starting to wonder if this has something to with my wisdom teeth or whatever. it only hurts "high" up on one side, which i just figured out that "high" on my jaw and "far" back in my mouth are the same thing basically.

im going to make a wisdom teeth topic now
me1issaaaa
Mine used to do that a few years back, and then I got braces and it quit. I guess it had to do with the fact that I didn't know it at the time, but my teeth didn't align correctly when I bit down. That was about 5 or 6 years ago, and even now when I don't wear my retainers for a week or so, my jaw hurts and starts to pop again. Then I wear them overnight and they're fine the next morning.

If you don't already have one, try looking into getting a night guard or something. Good luck [:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.