Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do you hate group work
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
brooklyneast05
are you someone who hates it or one of those people who jump up and down at the thought of getting to do work in groups?

i can't stand "group work". it slows me down and makes everything 5 times more of a hassle. i had to be in some group in american gov't and we had to outline chapters. it was a complete waste of time and my group was full of dumbass freshman girls who don't know anything.

f**k groups mad.gif
tokyo-rose
I don't like it when I have group members who don't do their share of work, do their own thing without explaining anything to the other members, don't talk, or chat with each other instead of doing work. I'd rather work alone. Unfortunately, I work in pairs or groups a lot because my school's really big on collaboration.
brooklyneast05
yeah i always have to do all the work. what is up with that? i'm black, i'm not supposed to be the smart one stubborn.gif

i can't stand people in groups who don't talk either.
Tomates
Usually i dont mind because its always nice to get an extra input on things. Though usually the teachers will pick groups for you and there are times you can be in a really good group or a really bad group. Ive had times where my group has slacked off leaving me the work which is shit or i was recently in a group where my friend and her boyfriend were f**king molesting each other the whole damn time.
Gigi
I used to hate it, but now that I'm in college it's a lot better. People tend to be a lot more hardworking now that they're up to a certain level, so it's actually fun to work in a group.

I HATED high school group projects though because I always ended up doing everything because I could do it better and I was willing to do it...
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Tomates @ Oct 9 2008, 06:56 PM) *
i was recently in a group where my friend and her boyfriend were f**king molesting each other the whole damn time.

loool.gif

QUOTE(Gigi @ Oct 9 2008, 06:56 PM) *
I used to hate it, but now that I'm in college it's a lot better. People tend to be a lot more hardworking now that they're up to a certain level, so it's actually fun to work in a group.

I HATED high school group projects though because I always ended up doing everything because I could do it better and I was willing to do it...

yeah i have so many bad group experiences in high school i couldn't even begin to list them all out. there was one project and i did every single thing except for this one girl brought me a package of markers to make our poster...ridiculous.

it sucked. she didn't even help present it either, she just stood there.
karmakiller
Sometimes it can be frustrating, espeically if you have someone in your group who you have to slow down for and explain everything step by step. I don't mind if there is one person who doesn't get it and just sits there, but don't ask "So.. what's this for?" every two seconds.

Sometimes it can be awkward working with people that I don't know. I'll say something and they will just sit there and be like "ok".
LoveToMySilas
I usually don't mind group work, especially if it has to do with presentations. But if its projects, I get really bossy and I end up having to work alone or with a partner. whistling.gif
Melissa
I hate working with other people. It's usually because I'm right, they're wrong, and they're slowing me down.

In chem lab, I have this one lab partner that I always work with because we work together really well. We both know what we're doing and divide the work up so we're super-duper efficient. But she was gone last week and I was stuck with someone who didn't know how to read the freaking instruments. Since the lab was quantitative and involved a lot of mixing, adding, etc... I got really anal about her screwing shit up, so I basically took over the whole thing and told her to pretty much hand me stuff and write down observations, lol.
stephinika
It really depends on the people obviously, but also what kind of project it is. Some stuff is so difficult to do while in a group, while some stuff is a lot better that way.
firechild
I always get stuck with a slacker so f**k groups
queen
i actually like group work. i like leading and taking control ;x. of course it depends on the people, too. i would be frustrated with dumbasses in my group, but i wouldn't let that phase me for too long 'cause i'd have no problem having to do all the work myself.
markmejia
Yeah, I hate working in groups. D:
Especially when it involves designing something.

.. But if it's all writing, and my group members are smart, I don't mind at all. As long as it gets the job done. :D
creole
I hate group work especially with these conditions
A) Partner is too shy
B) Partner refuses to do any work
C) Partner does not even do half- of the work, and stills get full credit.

:/ My teachers say group work is great since when you have a Job, sometimes you need to do "group work" for your company.
datass
QUOTE(----- @ Oct 10 2008, 10:14 AM) *
I basically took over the whole thing and told her to pretty much hand me stuff and write down observations, lol.

lol in chem and bio, i never let my partners do more than just anding me things and taking down the notes. i always get the bad partners and they always mess it up.

i hate group works where it includes some sort of designing and drawing. usually i end up with people with bad creativity, and draw out ugly shit saying its "simplistic". f**k that.
fire
QUOTE(Gigi @ Oct 10 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Lies, group work at uni is an ass, I was bitching about this today. I forgoed work to finish a presentation with some other peopled, we were posting our progress on the group forum and people who said they couldnt come kept on pointing out problems, WELL IF YOU SEE A PROBLEM WHY DONT YOU FIX IT YOURSELF?!????????? bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch.
lovescream
Yes and no.

I hate doing everything by myself, so occasional group work is actually not bad.
But if I had a group full of retards, then yeah, I hate it.

Like my lab partner for my biology, he pisses me the HELLLL OFFF. askdjnaksldjanslkjasdafkjsdk
I'd rather work alone in that class.
MissFits
I completely agree. I hate depending on others for shit that will come back badly on me if they don't do it right, because I trust myself more than them.
But, I didn't only hate school groups. I hate work groups, too, where you have to depend on others to do shit right. That's how pharmacies are. It's a filling process and it goes through like 3 or 4 sets of hands before it gets to the pharmacist. But, if anything goes wrong it's the fillers fault, and I was designated filler on weeknights.
Tomates
I got paired up with finally a good group the other day. Despite that one of them is just mooching off our answers and isnt doing anything to help us out but otherwise me and my other partner work really well together.
scoobypoo36202
Group work is of course fun, because I am one of those who talks and doesn't do anything, but it is really a waste of time academically. Schools should just let us work independently because there's always going to be those kids who do the work for the whole goup, so the others don't learn.
Saeglopur
I absolutely hate working with other people. It's not that bad when they're my friends who actually help out and do the work. But otherwise, if I'm working with people I don't know, I feel like they disregard my advice. But whatever. I must learn how to work with other people. XD
amish-hammer
i mostly hate it because i usually get stuck with the stupid jock kids that just take my work and its really annoying
Janette
I hate it. It's not even helpful. stubborn.gif I recently had to do one for my history class and then we had to write a four page paper on if we liked it or not. Stupid.
LittleMissSunshine
i loveee group work (:
shanaynay
QUOTE(jaeminnie @ Oct 9 2008, 07:54 PM) *
I don't like it when I have group members who don't do their share of work, do their own thing without explaining anything to the other members, don't talk, or chat with each other instead of doing work. I'd rather work alone. Unfortunately, I work in pairs or groups a lot because my school's really big on collaboration.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same.
Joanne
I used to find group work tolerable, but I think I f*cking hate it now that I'm in university... quite the opposite of Gigi's comment. It's not because the people seem like they don't give a shit about the projects, but because I would seriously rather work on my own for a mark I PERSONALLY DESERVE. We can help each other out, but I do NOT want to share the same mark as you. Even if you're getting a higher mark than me. I just don't.

A couple of people in my Econ class have asked me if I wanted to work together with them for assignments and hand it in as one (we're allowed to), and I always say "Uh, no. I'm really bad at working with people." They'd just give me this odd (or hurt) look, like I'm this socially retarded person. Then I'm forced to say, "Okay, fine, I give you some answers if you need them" and their eyes totally lit up. AND THEN I end up giving them all the f*cking answers because they're to f*cking busy fooling around in the library to do the work themselves. f*ck you.

AND for my graphic design class, SEND ME YOUR PART OF THE PROJECT ON TIME GAWDAMMIT. I HAVE TO f*ckING WAKE UP EARLY FOR WORK TOMORROW, AND I CANNOT STAY UP ALL NIGHT WAITING FOR YOU TO SEND ME THE f*ckING FILE JUST SO I CAN DRIVE TO STAPLES AND PRINT IT OUT TOMORROW AFTER WORK. If you don't send it to me by 1, f*ck it; I'm just going to print it out on the day it's due.
Gigi
^ See, I would only work in a group if I absolutely had to. If I had the choice, I still would rather work by myself. The idea of sharing my answers with someone else is not appealing to me, unless it's for something stupid like math. But I do find it tolerable, at least more so than high school.

I really don't have any complaints I guess. My OB group did another project recently and we slacked off SO BADLY, but I didn't really care that much because I let it happen. Usually I'll step in and just fix the shit up or else risk getting a bad mark. But I really didn't care at that point, because I was the one who did over 20% better on my midterm than the rest of my group members did, so I should have the least worries...what a selfish way to work eh? Oh well.

Oh yeah, PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO WRITE A f*ckING BIBLIOGRAPHY. And wear deodorant. Those are my two new prerequisites if you wanna be in my group.
Joanne
Okay, so last night I told her that if the poster isn't sent to me by 9am today, I'm not going to print it. I even blatantly told her that I would rather print it today because I have time and the car today. I GUESS SHE STILL INSISTS ON BEING A f*ckING IDIOT AND DECIDED TO SEND IT TO ME ON TUESDAY. Does she not understand that if the poster turns up f*cked up on Tuesday we won't have time to fix it? Shit, she is so thick.
Jenni
well it depends
if ur wit some really smart person they do all da work for u which saves me time

but when ur wit lazy people and other ignorant people who make everything difficult than i would rather work alone because its just so much easier like dat cause ugh group work they wana do this nd u wana do dat and they dont vollunteer and aghh!!
DoubleJ
I actually just did a group pres this week, and working in a group motivated me. I really started to slack off, but you can't do that when you are in a group because you are f*cking with other peoples grades. I do like it though.
RCKstarh
it really depends. do u like/get along with ur partner(s). is the teacher letting u pick or are u picking so on. i usually like group work if i like my partners
JonHMChan
I almost never get things done with groups. Most of the time, it just doesn't work out.
Joanne
Why do I always end up working with the shittiest people for my business projects? f*ck.

QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 23 2008, 01:01 PM) *
it really depends. do u like/get along with ur partner(s). is the teacher letting u pick or are u picking so on. i usually like group work if i like my partners

I like and get along with this girl I'm working with now, but preexisting friendships don't necessarily make reliable partnerships.
-DressYourEyelids-
i hate group work.
manny-the-dino
QUOTE(Joanne @ Jul 8 2009, 09:43 AM) *
Why do I always end up working with the shittiest people for my business projects? f*ck.
I like and get along with this girl I'm working with now, but preexisting friendships don't necessarily make reliable partnerships.

So true.

Usually I'm fine with group work but there's always someone who doesn't want to do their share. When that happens, I try and get the rest of the group to talk to them about it and they eventually do their work.
kryogenix
I hate groups, I hate work, so naturally I hate group work.
transcendentalism
mostly i don't like group work. too many slackers...

BUT once upon a time we studied greece for a month in humanities and split up into citystates and it was the most ballinass group project ever. we didn't even pick our groups, so it was all extremely different people (6 people total)... and we stayed up late multiple times a week talking about how we wanted to do things and we bonded and hung out together and it was awesome :) /tears of joy

... i'm being totally serious.
iExquisite
idespise it

I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T
StubbornFemme
i seriously hate group work, its such a waste of everybody's time if you think about it. i had a few times where i got so fed up with some of the people in my previous group work (mostly in high school of course)where i just had to ask my teacher if i could just do this alone or if i could just be in a group with the people who actually did do the work.

i just rather work with people who i know/want in my group that are actually going to work or i rather just work alone because i know for certain that work will get done.
creole
basically

Group Work = stubborn.gif
Group Sex = happy.gif
Eww
I hate it with a passion.
Half the time I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots (excluding few), which I feel pretty bad about, but it's true. Actually, it's every time. I get so pissed off when I'm putting in a lot far more work then I'm supposed to be, and they're aware of it. That bothers me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.