Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do you start a website
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
Diamond69
how would I go about doing that?
and what things should i know and whatever.
1angel3
Okay because you're a beginner (which I'm assuming) I recommend you start out with Freewebs.com. It's good for beginners because they offer a site builder to help you but if you know a little HTML then try the HTML mode instead.

You could also get hosted but you would have to learn FTP and PHP, it's easy to learn and there's many tutorials on it. You could buy a domain but I think you should try a free hosting site first and see if you like it. Try making an account on Freewebs.com or get hosted by someone and ask if they could teach FTP and PHP. Some people won't mind it at all.
theerinkal
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Sep 28 2008, 04:53 PM) *
Okay because you're a beginner (which I'm assuming) I recommend you start out with Freewebs.com. It's good for beginners because they offer a site builder to help you but if you know a little HTML then try the HTML mode instead.

You could also get hosted but you would have to learn FTP and PHP, it's easy to learn and there's many tutorials on it. You could buy a domain but I think you should try a free hosting site first and see if you like it. Try making an account on Freewebs.com or get hosted by someone and ask if they could teach FTP and PHP. Some people won't mind it at all.

I totally agree. I started out on freewebs but now I've got a host. My new site is sugar-blosssom.light-flahsh.net. If you click on the link on my signature \/ then you'll go to my freewebs.com site. I bought a domain and I'm still not happy with freewebs. But it's FANTASTIC for beginners. I learned all of the HTML that I know there. There are many HTML tutorials out there too. I would recomend you to use the HTML version of freewebs because I don't really like any of the templates that freewebs has.

I hope that helps!
Blaqheartedstar
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Sep 28 2008, 05:53 PM) *

yeah freewebs is the best to start with, their live preview when adding codes. pretty neat feature.
when you get better at the whole maintaining a website you can then start with looking for a decent host, try looking for someone willing to offer a subdomain, its good practice on FTP and PHP like mentioned above.
PHP tutorials can be confusing so before you get into that learn how to work with FTP first. you need that before you head to PHP
Diamond69
Would it be ok to run a site off of myspace? or would that not work out. just wondering

Thanksa bunch guys!
dannyordinary
^ we'll if your planning on a layout site then it's ok, but you wouldn't generate ad revenue, etc.

I actually learned coding from myspace layouts, which in turn got me into website coding/design and yeah .. so try that out .

do you like coding ?
Blaqheartedstar
a lot of people run off myspace, sure you get a lot of users...but thats about it. Best to use myspace to help promote your site. Usually people who start on myspace do pretty well when they start their own site.
1angel3
QUOTE(Blaqheartedstar @ Sep 29 2008, 05:05 PM) *
a lot of people run off myspace, sure you get a lot of users...but thats about it. Best to use myspace to help promote your site. Usually people who start on myspace do pretty well when they start their own site.

I agree, I kind of wish I started on myspace first. The most popular sites now started out on myspace like Rewindd.com for example.
none345678
I plan to start off on myspace, then shortly after make my site. It is a great way to promote. Schizo I do believe does both
theerinkal
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Sep 29 2008, 08:01 PM) *
I agree, I kind of wish I started on myspace first. The most popular sites now started out on myspace like Rewindd.com for example.

I agree too. I have a myspace for my site but it links to my actual site. I don't really get that many hits though. I tell a ton of people about my site but no one actually visits it.
schizo
QUOTE(Drama @ Sep 29 2008, 08:24 PM) *
I plan to start off on myspace, then shortly after make my site. It is a great way to promote. Schizo I do believe does both

Yes'm. biggrin.gif

I ran my site off myspace alone for about five months. For some reason, it's much easier to get popular on there. I was able to pull in about 1,000 unique hits a day as soon as I started my website. Afterwards, it's good to spend time with both. Myspace is the easiest way to inform people about updates and answer questions.
Tomates
QUOTE(Blaqheartedstar @ Sep 29 2008, 08:05 PM) *

Thats what im doing. Starting off on myspace and maybe hopefully getting my own domain someday.
manny-the-dino
Topic Closed, and Moved to Resolved Topics. Please PM a moderator if you would like this reopened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.