Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obama is my Homeboy! Her story is my story!
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Comptine
Does it bother anyone that our politicians are now celebrities worthy of gracing the covers of Ok! and US Weekly?

So many women jumped on the Palin bandwagon and are supporting her (despite that fact that I think she's absolutely lacks the credential to be VP) because her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant. Their slogan is "Her story is my story" They like her because they can relate to her.

I understand you want someone who shares your views. But really, to support someone because you can relate to them?

The last time that happened, Bush was elected (a large percentage of people said they voted for Bush because he was the one they thought they could share a beer with).

What happened to voting based on their stances? What are the pitfalls of people voting based on who they can relate to? What are the advantages?

I'm just grabbing for a debate.

coconutter
I think it's ridiculous to base votes on "how you can relate to a candidate". Who cares if you can share a beer with your candidate of choice? Does that make them more qualified for the president? I certainly hope not. I suppose it's just a side effect of social issues taking over elections.

Way more than half the people that use that as a reason will never meet the president or watch/read anything about him or her. What is this election coming to?!?

Sarah Palin doesn't know what the bush doctrine is and the only argument was "but you don't know what is it either!". Well we're not the ones running for president and a few heartbeats away from the presidency. It's ridiculous!! Has bush been spraying brain cell killers in the air?
fameONE
I'm going to echo a sentiment I expressed in another topic...

From being in Japan, Kuwait and now Iraq, I talk to a lot of people from outside the U.S. who keep a watchful eye on American politics. I met a contractor from Kazakhstan and he made it perfectly clear to me that American politics is viewed as an entertainment event. It's a spectacle which lacks nobility. That was his opinion and I brushed it off because he's more than entitled to it. While in Kuwait, I happened to be smoking a cigarette a few random people, a couple from Poland, and they said practically the same thing. Last night, I was having an email conversation with my ex (Japanese) about who she would vote for is she were a US citizen, and she said that there is no honor in American politics.

Hmmm.

Perhaps we have created this. JFK didn't exactly keep a low profile. Richard Nixon's hilarious attempt to connect to the youth put him in the public eye. Bill Clinton was a celebrity himself. So maybe we, as a society, created this.

dosomethin888
Ya I think its stupid when people vote for a candidate cause they like their personality.. like so many are doing for Obama.
Joss-eh-lime
I swear i will CRY if Palin/McCain wins.
If old man McCain ends up with a health problem or maybe dies, Plain can NOT lead our country out of the crisis it is in.

but staying on topic politians are sort of like low key celebrites. It is a popularity contest.

Running for president cant be "Citizens of America, you are I are nothing alike. Vote for me."
Sure there are other factors but likeablitiy is very important.
only-tuesdays
QUOTE(Comptine @ Sep 16 2008, 10:24 AM) *
What happened to voting based on their stances? What are the pitfalls of people voting based on who they can relate to? What are the advantages?

What happened is America as a whole has gotten less intelligent. How many people do you know who actually watch the debates and understand everything that is going on? How many people care enough to even do their research on the candidates? I admit,I haven't done very thorough research, but I have done enough to know that I don't agree with McCain on anything he stands for.

America likes getting the dirt on people. Look at what our magazines are filled with. Gossip and trash about celebrities. How are politicians going to get any attention if they don't make themselves known through these same venues? I'm a little irked that they have Twitter, Myspace, and Facebook accounts. I don't think the President of the United States should be so....normal. They need to be at a higher level than your average joe. They're leading the country, they'd better have more intelligence, and access to more intelligent people than them.

Sarah Palin just annoys me. Yes, her 17 year old daughter is pregnant, and engaged to her baby's father. Sarah Palin endorses abstinence only education. She doesn't believe in organizations like Planned Parenthood. I'm sure she also personally pushes for waiting until marriage for sex. But apparently she can't even lead her own household enough, how the hell is she going to potentially lead the country? I don't want that woman in office. Vice President or otherwise. She can go back to Alaska.
creole
Palin : "Hmmmmm! Five weeks have past, should I still wait for my order to come?"

Total 86. _smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.