Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you host other people off of your site?
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
theerinkal
I read a board that said, "Hosts looking for Hostees".
That would be subdomain hosting, right?

I don't really understand the concept. Why don't people use freewebs?

What is the difference between a Host and a Hostee?
The host is the person with the actual site,if so the hostee would be the person with the site off of your site, right?

I would like to know how to let people have a
theirsitenamehere.yoursitenamehere.com
or something like that.

How do you do that? I'm using freewebs, which after my year is up I'm going to change where it is.
only-tuesdays
Hosts looking for Hostees is subdomain hosting. You are correct. Some people prefer to have hosting on a site with a nicer sounding URL than bob.freewebs.com. Or sometimes they want features that they can't get with a site like freewebs.

Host is the person who owns the domain and the hostee is the subdomain.

The rest I'm not all that sure about since I've never had any hostees. But I'm sure someone else can give their in put.
theerinkal
QUOTE(only-tuesdays @ Aug 31 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Hosts looking for Hostees is subdomain hosting. You are correct. Some people prefer to have hosting on a site with a nicer sounding URL than bob.freewebs.com. Or sometimes they want features that they can't get with a site like freewebs.

Host is the person who owns the domain and the hostee is the subdomain.

The rest I'm not all that sure about since I've never had any hostees. But I'm sure someone else can give their in put.

Ok Thanks! :)
schizo
I don't think you can have hostees if you're using freewebs. People who have hostees have their own webspace, and they rent out some of it to other people.

If I had to choose between freewebs and being hosted by someone, I'd probably pick freewebs. Yeah, the domains are disgusting, but you can pretty much be assured that your site will be safe. What stops a host from doing something to your site, and what if they decide to quit? You're screwed.
theerinkal
QUOTE(schizo @ Sep 1 2008, 11:54 AM) *
I don't think you can have hostees if you're using freewebs. People who have hostees have their own webspace, and they rent out some of it to other people.

If I had to choose between freewebs and being hosted by someone, I'd probably pick freewebs. Yeah, the domains are disgusting, but you can pretty much be assured that your site will be safe. What stops a host from doing something to your site, and what if they decide to quit? You're screwed.

ok...Would you just have 2 of every page? Couldn't I make a profit doing that? Not that I'm thinking of doing that. I would just like to know.
venti-anemoi
I don't think subdomain hosting is a bad thing. There are a lot of perks - more space and bandwidth, no ads, flexibility with said space and bandwidth, PHP and MySQL and other stuff that I don't think freewebs or other such free hosting servers have.

There are such things as bad hosts, though, so you should do your research before deciding on one (good hosts will usually notify you if they're planning on letting their domains expire or whatnot, and give you time to look for a new host), and keep a list of other possible hosts should yours go down. And back up all of your files.
theerinkal
QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Sep 1 2008, 03:00 PM) *
I don't think subdomain hosting is a bad thing. There are a lot of perks - more space and bandwidth, no ads, flexibility with said space and bandwidth, PHP and MySQL and other stuff that I don't think freewebs or other such free hosting servers have.

There are such things as bad hosts, though, so you should do your research before deciding on one (good hosts will usually notify you if they're planning on letting their domains expire or whatnot, and give you time to look for a new host), and keep a list of other possible hosts should yours go down. And back up all of your files.

I'm a host not a hostee.
venti-anemoi
Oh. I think I got confused when you said that you were using Freewebs. >_< Sorry about that.
manny-the-dino
Topic Closed, and Moved to Resolved Topics. Please PM a moderator if you would like this reopened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.