Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FTP HELP!
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
HollyatPMPROP
So i started working for this company just recently and there computer person left just before i came here. So now i'm trying to mess around with our website that she already created. So i have Macromedia Dreamweaver up and i have the index to our company webpage up, now when i do something in Dreamweaver, i need to change it in the FTP file. So i got onto that but i just dont know how to make everything connect, i might be asking a very common question, i did check in the FAQ's but didnt see anything about this.

Can any body help me! biggrin.gif
fixtatik
do you just not know how to set up FTP in dreamweaver, or is it a different problem?

to set it up, go to Site > New Site and follow the setup wizard.
when that's finished, on the right side of your screen is a small arrow. click that to open the side window (if it's not already opened). there should be a drop down window called "files." from the drop down menu in that window, choose your site. you should have a plug icon (clicking that connects to your FTP server), a down arrow (downloads files from your site to your computer), and an up arrow (uploads files from your computer to your site).
HollyatPMPROP
she already has a whole FTP File set up with all the webpages stuff in it, and everything thats in the web page is also saved in Dreamweaver because thats where she made the Webpage.

i just want to edit like one word in the index page of the webpage! haha

and i know how to do that i just dont know how to change it in the FTP FILE also, like i save it in dreamweaver and it doesnt save on the FTP file page? you know?
fixtatik
just download it straight into dreamweaver, save it, and upload it to the server.

does it actually show it uploading? there should be a window that pops up showing the progress of it.
HollyatPMPROP
ok this is how it goes.
I open dreamweaver.
I open index.htm.
I change something in index.htm in dreamweaver.
I save it.
It doesnt change in the FTP File.
The FTP File saved as index.htm, never changes.
How am i supposed to change that file?
HollyatPMPROP
ok so do i need to create a new folder? i'm not sure how i would go about transfering everything. Because i dont think i need to make a whole new folder

The original file says its a html doc. and it says that this server does not support change

if i was to go into dreamwaver and select save as and then save it in the FTP file?
HollyatPMPROP
nvm i figred it out thanks anyways!
Skangster
Yeah, I never use dreamweaver other then editing. Try another FTP client.
manny-the-dino
Topic Closed, and Moved to Resolved Topics. Please PM a moderator if you would like this reopened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.