Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phelps frame by frame win
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Sports
brooklyneast05
i thought this was pretty cool to see frame by frame.

source
Tomates
Wow. Thats pretty sweet.
Not to mention Close
brooklyneast05
^yeah really close. i don't even hardly understand how he won _unsure.gif
Joanne
Is this the butterfly?

I guess Phelps was smart enough to give it one more push, while the other guy just decided there was no more room for one more. =\
Tung
.01 second. It could have easily been the other dude who won. How does the timer stop? Do they know EXACTLY when he touched the wall, or is base off an estimate?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Tungster @ Aug 16 2008, 12:28 PM) *
.01 second. It could have easily been the other dude who won. How does the timer stop? Do they know EXACTLY when he touched the wall, or is base off an estimate?

yeah that's what i don't understand.
Joanne
Isn't the wall touch-sensitive or something? Like once someone touches it, the clock stops.
karmakiller
That was really intense to see, lol. I usually never get into things like that, but dang.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Aug 16 2008, 12:29 PM) *
Isn't the wall a touch-sensitive or something? Like once someone touches it, the clock stops.

that makes sense, i never even though of that for some reason.
Simba
Dayum that was freakin' good timing, whoever was photographing that.

.01 is crazy
Gigi
The wall is touch-sensitive, but even more sensitive for the Olympics. You could say it's ULTRA ULTRA sensitive. They have the whole touch-sensitive wall things even for amateur competitive swimming (when I used to swim, we used to train for just touching the wall). There's close to no doubt to who wins or not - that's why the times come up so fast, they don't actually sit there and look at the film frame-by-frame.

Honestly though, even in the tight sport of swimming, .01 seconds is almost insignificant. Phelps BARELY made that one, and for that I'm not really impressed. Seems fluke-y to me.
pandemonium
ahh.. that was pretty awesome
he was going to be in 2nd and all of the sudden bam.. he wins
Teesa
even though i intentionally spoiled the results for myself by checking them before i saw it "live", i was seriously like how the hell did he pull that one off? the guy from serbia made the mistake of doing a longer stroke at the end while michael did shorter ones.
synatribe
yea as you can see in third frame, phelp's palm is on the wall whereas the other dudes, his fingers are about to touch :]
Tung
click to enlarge
synatribe
^^ omg lol
Joanne
^x2 I was actually thinking exactly that when I saw this on TV. blink.gif
synatribe
QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Aug 17 2008, 01:15 AM) *
^x2 I was actually thinking exactly that when I saw this on TV. blink.gif

seriously, my mom said he looks ugly when he acts stupid and hes supposedly stupid to my mom because she knows he was going to get gold :] lol yea,...
my mom dosent like Phelps because he has enough gold to tie Korea haha lol
Simba
QUOTE(Tungster @ Aug 17 2008, 01:12 AM) *
lol, there's tons of these being made now

post all the varieties you find, guys
Gigi
It is lame, or really awesome, that ONE GUY makes up for almost half of USA's gold medals?
Teesa
^i was thinking about that yesterday as well..kind of a mix of both, lol.
KryMeARiver
What's lame is how China's cheating "homefield advantage" is costing the US some medals.
Gigi
^ Don't hate, if the US bumped up their game, they wouldn't need to resort to bitching about an imagined "homefield advantage".
KryMeARiver
Most strong teams do better than normal when hosting the olympics.

And lol at imagined accusations of cheating. Do you really think those gymnasts were 16 years old? Why is it that when the US performs flawlessly and the Chinese girl lands flat on her ass, the American girl only gets half a point better in judging from the Chinese judges? Chinese event officials disrupting American gymnast's preparations? What about how the Chinese keep screwing up the Star Spangled banner whenever the Americans win? China's police being too busy harassing journalists that they can't stop the murder of a coach's father in law? Gene doping?

China has been cheating from the very start.
swan
This is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing. As a side note, with all the technological advancements, this year's Olympic games have certainly been enhanced.
Gryffindor-Girl
I cannot get enough of this I heve seen these pictures like a billion times and I still find them entertaining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.