Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: joint pains
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Smarmosaur
lately, my joints have been hurting so freakin bad when I go to bed. specifically my hips, ankles, wrists, knuckles, elbows, and shoulders. they're fine when I'm awake (except for my right hip).
I thought it was from working out more than usual, so I stopped completely. now I can't get back into the habit. but anyways. It's been over two weeks since I've done any sort of major activity, so I'm thinking that's not the reason for the pain.
the pain is so bad that the only time I sleep is when I'm absolutely exhausted. I typically go to bed around 11 or 12 (I don't sleep much), and I lie awake for hours, sometimes I don't even sleep at all, because of it.
any opinions/suggestions on what to do? I already told mom about it but she didn't seem to care, and I can't take any sort of over the counter drugs.
thanks in advance. :]
superstitious
Well it is very unfortunate that your mother doesn't care because the first thing I would suggest is seeing a physician and perhaps get some xrays done if the pain persists. I doubt at your age that you would have arthritis, but you shouldn't be having this many joint pain issues at your age.

You say that you've stopped overdoing it (working out). That's definitely a good idea. Unfortunately, you will probably be sore for a few more days to come.

Do you mind if I ask why it is you can't take any OTC medications? An acetaminophen of some type is usually pretty effective for joint pain.
absinthe
I used to get joint pains all the time from playing sports. But since I've stopped, the pains have also stopped a good deal. Climbing stairs is still difficult sometimes (no joke) because my knees are kind of f**ked up. Cold weather and my joints don't work well together, either. I'm not sure if that's your situation (the weather). But like Rebs said, I would definitely see a physician. It never hurts to find out what's wrong.
Oh, using Icy Hot (those wrap things... these ) work well. At least for me they do. XD.gif
Smarmosaur
QUOTE(superstitious @ Aug 4 2008, 07:46 PM) *
Do you mind if I ask why it is you can't take any OTC medications? An acetaminophen of some type is usually pretty effective for joint pain.

I have a lot of unknown "internal issues".
I've been "instructed by professionals for the sake of my physical and mental health" to not take any sort of medication or antibiotic unless it's cleared by at least two doctors.
[edited to be an...unramble.]
Reidar
Look into taking a glucosamine supplement to help reinforce joint tissue, especially articular cartilage within the knees.

Go for regular walks to rehab the weak areas.

Avoid stretching in order to maintain stability.
Tomates
have you tried taking advil?
it works for me usually.
Im not trying to sounds sarcastic or anything.

Also put a warming pad on the parts it hurts.
it helps soothe things
demolished
you sound like you're dying.

are you healthy? drink water to accelerate blood cleansing which will benefit your entire body especially your bones.
heyo-captain-jack
You said you have a lot of calcium in your bloodstream. It could very well be arthritis.
Smarmosaur
QUOTE(Fist @ Aug 5 2008, 02:04 AM) *
you sound like you're dying.

are you healthy? drink water to accelerate blood cleansing which will benefit your entire body especially your bones.

yes, i'm very healthy. i drink so much water i could probably pee your entire weight.

QUOTE(XTC @ Aug 5 2008, 02:12 AM) *
You said you have a lot of calcium in your bloodstream. It could very well be arthritis.

i'm too young for that shit. hammer.gif
Tomates
QUOTE(RockItStudios @ Aug 5 2008, 11:32 AM) *
yes, i'm very healthy. i drink so much water i could probably pee your entire weight.

Although its rare you can get arthritis when your young.
My neighbour has it and when i found out she was about in 4th grade
Butterflyphoenix
take pain killers like advil
karmakiller
QUOTE(RockItStudios @ Aug 5 2008, 10:32 AM) *
Arthritis doesn't just happen to older people. My friend has been going in to get her joints drained since she was young.

I'm there is a name for his diagnosis, by my dad has cartilage problems in his joints. He went to the doctor and all they needed were x-rays and then they moved him around a bit. If you think it's a cartilage problem you can get glucosamine and chondroitin tablets over the counter. I don't recommend that you go start taking them because it's what you think is wrong with you.

Your best bet is to go to the doctor. It usually doesn't take that long to get diagnosed with something and they can usually recommend an over the counter medication that can help you.
superstitious
I have carpel tunnel with some arthritic pain in my left wrist. I'm nowhere near as young as you are (I'm in my early 30's) but still, there isn't much in the way of age limits. The reason people typically associate arthritis (chronic arthritic pain) with the elderly is because their joints have obviously aged and weakened more.
Smarmosaur
thanks for the opinions. I'll talk to my mom again this week. :]
demolished
How old are you?

did you say your mom doesnt care? go to the doctor as soon as possible since it's not normal otherwise you may be a higher risk for certain health conditions or whatever. do it now .. or sorry! thumbsup.gif
rosetaylor
You should see a real doctor instead of asking the quacks here (besides, a lot of herbal 'medicines' will interfere with your other medications).
Homoeopathic medicines are just distilled water so they won't have any side effects but they also won't have any effects either (if something does not have side effects it probably isn't strong enough to be worth taking).
Herbs aren't generally worth taking since the active ingredient of the ones that actually work is available as a drug that because it isn't contaminated with a whole heap of other junk has more predictable dosing and side effects (herbs tend to have unreliable dosing and also a lot of other stuff, some of which is not at all good for you).
You'd be better off just sticking with evidence-based medicine and staying away from quackery like homoeopathy and herbalism.

Link Removed - Nice advertising within posts.
Reidar
QUOTE(rosetaylor @ Aug 25 2008, 09:52 AM) *
You should see a real doctor instead of asking the quacks here

Your answer is inane even for a 'bot. Nobody advocated homeopathy.

Two out of three of my cites come from Dr. Stuart McGill, professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo.

Glucosamine is also a fundamental constituent of glycoaminoglycans in cartilage matrix and synovial fluid. It's common in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis.

Quack quack.
KINGdinguhling
i dont know how to solve this problem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.