Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why the increase in divorce?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
USCavalry
i saw it on the news or something too lazy to look up the actual numbers but anyway.. the divorce rate has increaed substanityally over the past decades due to several theorized possibilites. two examples: increasing independance of woman with womens' rights and more reliable birth control and abortion.

i think society has become a superficial crack pot of drugs sex and money. then again thats my answer for most things. what do you think?
heyo-captain-jack
Your answer for most things is generally correct.

Also, Debate?
brooklyneast05
because divorces are easier to get and more accepted by people today.
paperplane
I don't know why birth control and abortion would cause people to get divorced. If anything, it might just be preventing the shotgun marriages that would probably lead to divorce.
mipadi
QUOTE(paperplane @ Jul 27 2008, 10:44 AM) *
I don't know why birth control and abortion would cause people to get divorced. If anything, it might just be preventing the shotgun marriages that would probably lead to divorce.

I'm only hypothesizing, but I think it may be due to the fact that couples are therefore having fewer children, which means there are, in turn, fewer cases in which loveless couples stay together "for the children".
nikx618
I really don't believe in divorce. I mean, its so dumb. Like, why get married in the first place. idk. People divorce like crazy. Then re marry again. not insulting people who are divorced. i mean, i think people should start being more careful with choosing their spouse. it makes everything so complicated when people divorce. but i guess its better to divorce, than to stay with someone you don't love. i also dont really believe in abortion. i mean, the baby is actually alive in the mothers womb. its technically murder. &people just staying together "for the children" i guess, they have really good intentions for the kids, but i mean, its not logical, cause so many problems can arise, and make everything worse.
brooklyneast05
yeah but the question at hand is why has the divorce rate increased, not do you "believe" in divorce.

jeSs1cA
My parents divorced because of money issues.

My mom is was a stay at home mom.. my dad was working his ass off to support me and my 2 other siblings. My brother went to college and my dad asked my mom to maybe get a part time job or something to help out a little bit with the bills. All of us kids were grown up so it wasn't like she had to watch us anymore. She did get a job for like $9/hour at some doctors office. My dad asked her where her paychecks were going because he still wasn't getting any help. She told him that it was her money. So my dad pulled back on his money.

It was all downhill from there.
ToxicTaco
-Increase in finacial problems shrug.gif
USCavalry
QUOTE(nikx618 @ Jul 27 2008, 11:43 AM) *
I really don't believe in divorce. I mean, its so dumb. Like, why get married in the first place. idk. People divorce like crazy. Then re marry again. not insulting people who are divorced. i mean, i think people should start being more careful with choosing their spouse. it makes everything so complicated when people divorce. but i guess its better to divorce, than to stay with someone you don't love. i also dont really believe in abortion. i mean, the baby is actually alive in the mothers womb. its technically murder. &people just staying together "for the children" i guess, they have really good intentions for the kids, but i mean, its not logical, cause so many problems can arise, and make everything worse.

you're only slightly off topic but i very much agree with you on how people should be more serious about marriage, also i think people give up too easily. my mom and dad for example can have some pretty scary fights but they still love each other at the end of the day.

regarding your abortion comment its so true. you wouldnt go around setting arsen to buildings that were still being constructed just because its not a building yet. people just like to fool themselves into a more convenient option than taking responsibility for their actions
coconutter
I think too many people view marriage as "a next step up" and it's not. A marriage is just a legal binding, and people take it way too seriously. The only reason why I would get married is for the legal perks, like tax breaks and things. Marriage doesn't change a relationship, so in my opinion divorcing is like breaking up. Of course, there are many reasons for people to be breaking up so honestly, it's not a big deal.

The only issue I have with people divorcing is when they have children. Therefore, I think people should be taught that it's not right to have children before you move in with the person you want to conceive with and really get to know them for at least 5 years. Too many people rush into babymaking like it's a sport.

Which leads me to another topic. What the f**k is up with this abstinence only education. Obviously it's not working, so give up and teach kids the right things.
berrypop90
I agree that people need to stop rushing into marriage. People need to try living together and learning as much about each other as they can before getting married. I also think people need to try hard to overcome problems in their marriage before turning to divorce(the easy solution). Some people have such high expectations of married life. Maybe when it doesn't match up to what their minds created, they're disappointed and it shows to their spouse & that starts a long chain of insecurity and frustration. Hell, I'm not sure. Maybe it's just time running it's course in life and people changing with it. I personally can never see myself married with kids, but who knows what life will have in store?
coconutter
Oh, I forgot to comment on the
increasing independance of woman with womens' rights and more reliable birth control and abortion.

I'd like to know how increased independence of women has led to higher divorce rates? Is it because women are working now? Or is it that women are allowed to choose their husbands instead of being forced to love someone they don't. That's preposterous to use as a reason of increased divorce rates, when clearly women's rights has mostly helped society grow and become more tolerant of others.

As for the abortion and birth control, what the hell? How is that in correlation to divorce besides sometimes having a child unhappily binds two people together. Children should never be a resolution to a failing marriage. It only makes the child and the two parents unhappy in the long run. My step-cousin is a good example. These reasons are only a cover-up to the real problem. The real problem is, people are unhappy! They don't know what they want and issues such as these are taking the blame for it. Seriously, world, own up to yourselves.
berrypop90
QUOTE(coconutter @ Jul 27 2008, 06:37 PM) *
The real problem is, people are unhappy! They don't know what they want and issues such as these are taking the blame for it. Seriously, world, own up to yourselves.

I think people want to remain ignorant. It eliminates the threat of others questioning their actions/thoughts(god forbid you stand up for what you believe!) and creates a cozy cocoon for their lives to squeeze in. It's like some people are so afraid of stepping out of the norm that they accept unhappiness.
coconutter
That's true, it's so silly though. Although I have seen countless couples act like they're happy when they're really not, and just fill the unhappiness void with material things. Honestly though, how can someone blame the issue of divorce rates on things that HELP society.

Ignorance isn't bliss sometimes.
LoveToMySilas
People just rush into marriage so they can be financially stable? Eh, my parents got divorced when I was at a young age, what do I know?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(coconutter @ Jul 27 2008, 05:37 PM) *
Oh, I forgot to comment on the

I'd like to know how increased independence of women has led to higher divorce rates? Is it because women are working now? Or is it that women are allowed to choose their husbands instead of being forced to love someone they don't. That's preposterous to use as a reason of increased divorce rates, when clearly women's rights has mostly helped society grow and become more tolerant of others.

i don't see how it's that absurd to you that there would be a connection. women can support themselves now and don't need to stay with someone for that. that would obviously have an effect on women being more likely to divorce knowing they can support themselves now vs. before when they couldn't.

no one is saying women gaining equality is bad, they are just saying it could have caused an increase in divorce. we obviously would rather have women's rights than a "good" divorce rate regardless.

QUOTE(coconutter @ Jul 27 2008, 05:51 PM) *
That's true, it's so silly though. Although I have seen countless couples act like they're happy when they're really not, and just fill the unhappiness void with material things. Honestly though, how can someone blame the issue of divorce rates on things that HELP society.

Ignorance isn't bliss sometimes.

why couldn't it be because of something that helped society? things that help society can't ever produce a few slightly negative effects in return?

i don't think anyone is arguing an increase in womens rights is the only cause.
coconutter
i don't see how it's that absurd to you that there would be a connection. women can support themselves now and don't need to stay with someone for that. that would obviously have an effect on women being more likely to divorce knowing they can support themselves now vs. before when they couldn't.

no one is saying women gaining equality is bad, they are just saying it could have caused an increase in divorce. we obviously would rather have women's rights than a "good" divorce rate regardless.

True, but like I said before if women or men would take their time in relationships and live with each other before they decide to get married, then women wouldn't have to support themselves alone to begin with.

Granted you have good points, it wasn't specified at first, leaving me to believe that women's rights in general were affecting divorce rates. Which left a big question mark in my head. It makes sense now though.

STILL, it most likely does have a lot to do with rushing into things, moreso than womens rights or abortion/birth control. They shouldn't be the only things to blame.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(coconutter @ Jul 27 2008, 07:05 PM) *
STILL, it most likely does have a lot to do with rushing into things, moreso than womens rights or abortion/birth control. They shouldn't be the only things to blame.

yeah well i think that people have always rushed into things. now it's just easier and more accepted for them to rush out of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.