Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This week in Sports
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Sports
DoubleJ
I am going to start something called this week in sports, just because I can.

Rules:

Post something that you felt was noteworthy in sports.
You MUST know what the f**k you are talking about, and have the facts/links to back it up, just in case people call you out.
I will do baseball, and I will leave the rest up to the others, as I am sure that others will want to talk about Basketball (Tung) or Hockey(Teesa).

DOUBLE POSTING IS ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD!

DoubleJ
TWIB:

What was with all of the extra inning games this week?
10 in one week is very rare, but how about that Rockies vs. Padres game that went 22 eh? Teesa did you watch the whole game lol!

Pitching and injury struggles continue throughout the league, as star players are falling left and right.

Players that should be doing well in contract years, yes YOU CC SABATHIA, are stumbling out the gate, and letting their teams get run over by teams like Kansas City.

I'll tell you one thing, I though that the jersey incident at yankee stadium was classic. Anybody else notice, that as soon as they dug up Ortiz's jersey, he starts to hit.

Ken Griffey Jr. is going to break the hr record first imho. I just think that playing in the league, where the pitching is sub-par, works to his advantage.

The Orioles, Nationals, Marlins, and Royals, all occupied first place in their respective divisions at one point or another so far. To put that into better perspective, The Yankees have a higher payroll than all of those teams combined, yet they aren't even in first place in their division.

Now onto my beloved Mets! This was a good week, as they took care of the Phillies in a home and home series. Rollins and Reyes got hurt, but Jimmy has to go on the 15day dl. Pelfrey is starting to payoff, but I would like to see more out of Oliver Perez, before I crown the Mets as my pick for the east.
DoubleJ
close and if possible, delete por favor!
Teesa
^waiiit, why do you want this closed?

hahaa, i fell asleep at the bottom of the 14th because i thought manny blew the save..but i was shocked when i read the news the next morning. one of my friends stayed up for the entire game and didn't make it to his morning class, lol.

colorado beat minnesota (series 4-2) and move on to the semi-finals. i'm really anxious to find out who we're going to play.

rockies lost to the astros yesterday mad.gif but hopefully can win one against the phillies this evening.
DoubleJ
The phillies are nothing without rollins. Who's going for the rocks' tonight?
absinthe
QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Apr 21 2008, 01:51 AM) *
close and if possible, delete por favor!

leave it opennn.
DoubleJ
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teesa
kk.

the nuggets are down 0-2 v. lakers (big surprise sad.gif)
dallas won tonight v. new orleans, to make the series 2-1.
suns lost, going down 0-3 v. spurs grr.gif

dallas beat san jose in OT, going up 1-0.

rockies are still playing @la! they just tied up the game on the top of the 9th-27 hits, 5 wild pitches..this game has been crazy! haha, love it. btw, this game has been going on for more than 3 hours.

GR. matt just grounded into a double play. la could win it now.
Rosalin
did you all see the big win
Teesa
QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Apr 21 2008, 01:25 AM) *
I am going to start something called this week in sports, just because I can.
Rules:

Post something that you felt was noteworthy in sports.

what exactly are you talking about?
misoshiru
Roger Federer is now 8 matches unbeaten on clay after beating David Nalbandia 5-7 6-2 6-2

I'd call for soccer, but I'm really biased towards Man U. So...can I do just tennis and Man U?
Teesa
^who cares? we're all biased hehe.gif please do soccer~i don't follow it closely.

roger is a beast.
Tung
RONALDINHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo
DoubleJ
You can post whatever you want, that you found to be noteworthy. Post whatever sport you want, as long as you know what you are talking about.

For instance: The officials finally started calling Shaq on crossing the line during free throws, before the ball hits the rim.
Teesa
^talk about inconsistency throughout the entire year though! i always thought that they changed the rule about the line or something because he would always step over! whatever though, he still can't make them.

that hack-a-shaq "strategy" is LAMEEEEE.
ThunderEvermore
You want referee inconsistency try the NHL. The same play, the same situation, completely different calls. Every game. It's ridiculous. All season if a player was pushed into the goalie and a goal made from it, they said it was not a goal and made the faceoff in that offensive zone. Game fecking seven of the eastern conference quarter finals, same stuff happens, and what? It counts? Flyers win in overtime thanks to the refs and their complete lack of consistency in keeping the rules. I can understand not calling minor penalties and icing and stuff during the overtime to keep the game going and keep things going quickly, but when it determines the fate of a team's position in the playoffs, that's kind of the wrong time to wave it off. The Capitals will forever have been eliminated by a bull call in their game seven, after coming back from a 3-1 game deficit. Ridiculous.
DoubleJ
How Kidd didn't get suspended for that foul is beyond me. He is just mad, because the guy who he got run out of NJ, is handing it to him with bench players.
Teesa
ThunderEvermore-i agree...i still don't get what interference is exactly since i've seen a wide variety of those calls. every time i think it is, it isn't and vice versa wacko.gif

javonn-i know! i cannot believe he's not getting suspended! that was a cheap and dirty foul. jason kidd really needs to retire and go sit in the crowd.
DoubleJ
Yeah he does, and he can take Shaq and all of the other cry babies along with him.
misoshiru
QUOTE(Tungster @ Apr 26 2008, 02:10 PM) *
RONALDINHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

f**k you wrong team!!

Ferguson criticized over his rotation policy that most likely led to this past Saturday's draw with Chelsea.

R. Fed was beaten by Nadal in the Monte Carlo Finals. 7-5 7-5 Poor Fed still just isn't strong enough on clay. And Nadal is the first man since 1914 to win 4 Monte Carlo titles back to back.
Teesa
QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Apr 28 2008, 09:01 PM) *
Yeah he does, and he can take Shaq and all of the other cry babies along with him.

thumbsup.gif

although i wasn't too mad with him yesterday with the hack-a-shaq garbage going on.
DoubleJ
Baseball injuries have been going up faster than fast. Maybe it is because nobody is using roids anymore? whistling.gif J.K. Other than that, the playoffs are shaping up to be good. My money says that Detroit wins the East in 5. That's right, I am not giving the C's a chance against them.
Teesa
dallas beat san jose in 4OT!
dallas v. detroit should be very interesting (although i thought the same thing with colorado, but look how that one turned out)

celtics smashed the hawks, new orleans smashed san antonio biggrin.gif, and lakers topped utah.

can't wait for tonight's games!
DoubleJ
Bump!

Kyle Bush is winning everything in sight. I am sorry to say this, but I think that they should have let Casey Mears go instead of Bush.

Ryan Church is on f**king fire right now for the mets. That trade is paying off so well right now.

Maddux got to 35o FINALLY.

The rockies are doing good. Anybody notice that they are better when Fuentes is handling the ninth inning?

Speaking of closers, what happened to Izzy, Papps, and Gagne this week?
While they are getting all the pub, guys like Billy Wagner and BJ Ryan are quietly going about their business.

The Ravens had a fight in camp....what else is new.

DETROIT BASKETBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DoubleJ
JH2 retired today. I loved to hate the girl, because she was a definite competitor, and always gave her best out there. She will definitely be missed. I was looking at some comments from some fans, and some people think that she was on roids. I don't know, but then again, anything is possible. With that being said, she is one of the best to ever do it.
Teesa
wowww, way to blow a 14 point lead cavs.

dallas beat detroit to stay alive for one more game, but i think we all know how that one is going to end.
DoubleJ
Interleague play!!!!YEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP
absinthe
The Warriors got the 14th pick in the 2008 Draft.
absinthe
Manchester Utd. wins Champions League. throb.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080522/sp_so...c1manutdchelsea

NBA - Mark Cuban admits to smoking pot. laugh.gif

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/22/...4987x1200108089
DoubleJ
Why is it that the Mets can never do anything right at the deadline?

Manny called Boston's bluff, and I bet he regrets it now.

Ron-Ron to Houston....AAAAAOOOOOOWWWWW

Brett Favre should croak already.

Teesa
whoaa, manny's going to play for joe torre, suckaa.

griffey to the windy city!

federer lost and might lose his number one seed to nadal! ohsnap.
DoubleJ
That Griffey trade puzzles me.

Fed losing, is starting to become more common. I am going to call it right now, that he won't win the open.
Sandraaa
^ I disagree. He'll win the US Open. We'll see. -shakes out of fear while typing-
DoubleJ
Haha....YES! We will see!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.