Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subbed or Dubbed?
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Anime
heyo-captain-jack
Well, I personally prefer subtitles. That way the voices don't take anything away from the anime.

/edit: I added a "both" answer.

Grr. Damn you and your edits, Cristy!
lkajsfklajskds
well, i dont watch anime
but for regular foreign movies, i prefer subs
superficial
For me, I'd personally like subtitles. Even in English movies I have to have subtitles on. It's easier for me so I don't have to always keep my attention on what they're listening to. I can just read it. And sometimes I get confused about what they're saying. Anyways, but in Japanese I can't understand much so it's pretty much mandatory for me to have subs. Also, when people dub in annoying ass voices that makes me want to cut off my ears, I hate it. >__< If there's no other option, I don't watch it until it's subbed with Jap. dialog.
Marlons
Eh, I like dubbed better, I can focus my attention on the Anime not the subtitles.
Marlons
^Well I'm just too lazy to read.
CapCaDancer
Dubbed. That's mainly because I first started watching anime as an oblivious kid...I had no idea what anime even was...and Yu Yu Hakusho (obviously dubbed) came on Toonami...and from then, I watched everything that came on and it was all dubbed. Maybe if I had started watching subbed anime....but, I just got so used to it dubbed, the subtitles seemed weird to me.

Plus, I can't help but read and not focus on what they're doing. I don't want to miss the hilarious expressions. tongue.gif
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Feb 29 2008, 09:59 PM) *
Dubbed. That's mainly because I first started watching anime as an oblivious kid...I had no idea what anime even was...and Yu Yu Hakusho (obviously dubbed) came on Toonami...and from then, I watched everything that came on and it was all dubbed. Maybe if I had started watching subbed anime....but, I just got so used to it dubbed, the subtitles seemed weird to me.

Plus, I can't help but read and not focus on what they're doing. I don't want to miss the hilarious expressions. tongue.gif

Yeah I used to only watch dubbed for the same reason, but about a year ago I started watching subbed anime and loved it.
CapCaDancer
Lmao I like your panda, btw, ChaseTheDragon.

I guess I really haven't had time for anime lately. =/ Before it was so convienient, coming on Cartoon Network and all I had to do was plop down and watch it. And I had my cousin lending me episodes of random things, and buying me some of the manga. Now....all of it seems out of my reach.

Hopefully over the summer I can find something good.
biggrin.gif
moninja
i accidently voted dubbed ]: i HATE dubbed.
subbed ftw. subs for everything that's foreign x]
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Feb 29 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Lmao I like your panda, btw, ChaseTheDragon.

I guess I really haven't had time for anime lately. =/ Before it was so convienient, coming on Cartoon Network and all I had to do was plop down and watch it. And I had my cousin lending me episodes of random things, and buying me some of the manga. Now....all of it seems out of my reach.

Hopefully over the summer I can find something good.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, good anime isn't so easy to find anymore. Manga (which I prefer anyway) is pretty accessible still though.
Amaranthus
For foreign films I prefer subtitles.
Anime, I prefer dubbed.
Marlons
QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Feb 29 2008, 10:59 PM) *

Yep that's pretty much my story too.
RealTalk
Subs. I used to not mined anime being dubbed until I started watching it with subtitles. Once I started watching it with subtitles I started noticing how annoying and weird the characters sound. Now it gets on my nerves watching anime dubbed esp. Naruto. I can not stand that show in English. Everyone sounds so annoying except Shikamaru.
CapCaDancer
Yeah, manga is easily accessible....but unless I have time to sit down in the store and read the whole thing, I sure don't have enough money to buy series. =/ College....
dustbunny
SUBS ftw. dubs are just plain scary and weird, the voices just don't seem to match the characters after I've heard the original voice.
CapCaDancer
QUOTE(doiink @ Mar 1 2008, 08:22 PM) *
SUBS ftw. dubs are just plain scary and weird, the voices just don't seem to match the characters after I've heard the original voice.

What if you didn't hear the original voice first, but the dubbed version? O.o
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Mar 1 2008, 08:26 PM) *
What if you didn't hear the original voice first, but the dubbed version? O.o

Than thats irrelevant.
F_L_I_P
Dubs. I only watch subs if there are no dubs for the show or if the dub for the show is just very horrible. Anyway i just watch the anime with excellent dubs which are Full Metal Alchemist, FLCL, BECK, Kodocha, Blood +, Trinity Blood, and Last Exile
user000123
Im more on the subs side, but I could deal with both. Though sometimes if I watch it with subs and japanese voice actors then see it in english with different voices, it kinda bugs me cause I feel it doesnt sound right. Lol so weird.
S-Majere
Dubbed. I can't keep up with the subs, and I love to watch the mouths move out of turn.
missDanish
anime: subbs but high quality dubbs are also acceptable

foreign films: subs only.

(anyone who's even tried to watch the dubbed version of La vita e' bella should understand why. I think too much of the emotion expressed by characters is lost in the translation with dubbing.)
annalucky
Subs. Dubbed just kinda irks me sometimes.
superstitious
I wish there was a "both" category because I honestly like both. I prefer the DVD's to have an option to do either. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read subtitles and other times I prefer to hear the intended language.
distortedMIND
It really does depend. I most of the time go for dubs, just because the subtitles takes my attention from my anime.

dubs aren't all bad people!
Just_Dream
I DEFINITELY prefer SUBBED over DUBBED most of the time. There are times where I'm like WTF when I hear the subbed version compared to the dubbed version. lol I usually watch anime subbed though, because I think the expressions are much closer, even if they're in Japanese. Well I took a quarter of Japanese before, so yea... But that doesn't really help haha.

The few dubbed series I'd rather watch dubbed than subbed:
  • Full Metal Alchemist (Edward's voice <33 and Winry's matched better)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (SAC)
  • Chobits
  • FLCL
  • Hamtaro
They found awesome American voice actors for those. The Japanese seiyuu was so-so or pretty good, but not comparable.
angel-roh
I always liked subtitles even in movies too.
Because sometimes you don't understand what they are saying.

But I like when the voice actors are Japanese voice actors.
Sometimes I like dubbed ones like Eureka Seven!!
I thought they got the perfect dub voice actors for that!
Holland's voice was sexy XDD and Eureka too!

I guess I like both. Just depends on the anime.
Oh my gosh I was so mad when there was this anime I really liked
was put in dubbed and one of the hot/cool anime character's voice
WAS SO BADDDDDDDDDD I CRIED T-T;; He had a squeaky whining voice!!
It's supposed to be a tough manly voice in original version too!!
MarcelleB
subbss biggrin.gif
Sprague
Ugh, subtitles, ANY DAY. Dubbed is so horrible to watch that I just turn off the anime and walk away crying. (Although I do agree with Christina on dubbed FMA)
dispn0ygonekrazy
some dubbs are better than subbed bot overall id choose subbed
Just_Dream
QUOTE(dispn0ygonekrazy @ May 19 2008, 06:23 PM) *
some dubbs are better than subbed bot overall id choose subbed

Dubbed Ghost in the Shell > original Japanese version!
IzzyGrace
^^^me, too.

I'm so used to listening to Japanese and reading the subs that I've recognized a whole bunch, but I just can't speak it or anything. I hate when the voices don't match, though. Erg, it makes me want to do something I'd never do - like shoot myself in the foot.

(That way I don't die, but it'll hurt. That way my scream'll drown out the horrible sounds.)
Eww
Dubbed suck sour ass.

Subs are the way to go.
xKatana
Dubbed anime is just lame...
The worth and the lip doesn't match and ... it just sounds lame...
English Langaug is NOT made for dubbing animes...
jue
Subbs. Stuff that are dubbed irk me. I always think the voices aren't right. I only use dubbed when I'm extremely lazy.
Owari
Subbed all the way, I mean like english dubbed just don't have the voice for it. If it was Japanese vocal with subtitle then that is what i call true anime ;d
berrypop90
I like both. I usually watch the subbed versions though, 'cause the english voice actors don't sound right most of the time(for example: Gravitation, Sailor Moon, Bleach).
simplyytricia
I like Subbed better than dubbed because the Japanese version rocks[:
I like the Japanese language and it's very entertaining to hear it!

But, i still do watch some Dubbed animes at times[:
nikx618
i dont like anime that much
but dubbed is annoying with weird voices.
subbed is better[:
loveOURworld
Subbed :]
DivineFox
Prefer it to be subbed, dubs just kill it -_-
moonlite-shadow
i prefer sub den dubb.

because sum of da dubb version they sumtimes changes the whole story around...
yaamakoh
QUOTE(Just_Dream @ Mar 12 2008, 08:18 AM) *
I DEFINITELY prefer SUBBED over DUBBED most of the time. There are times where I'm like WTF when I hear the subbed version compared to the dubbed version. lol I usually watch anime subbed though, because I think the expressions are much closer, even if they're in Japanese. Well I took a quarter of Japanese before, so yea... But that doesn't really help haha.
The few dubbed series I'd rather watch dubbed than subbed:
  • Full Metal Alchemist (Edward's voice <33 and Winry's matched better)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (SAC)
  • Chobits
  • FLCL
  • Hamtaro
They found awesome American voice actors for those. The Japanese seiyuu was so-so or pretty good, but not comparable.

REALLY? The dubbed version for those anime are better?!
Subbed all the way, ever since the age of five I have developed amazing fast reading skills due to my 1st grade teacher. She gave me excellent reading lessons before school started, and because of that gift I have been able to read subtitles uber fast in anime.

I am truly blessed.
creole
Both at once. You get the best of both worlds. rolleyes.gif
lovescream
I prefer subbed for the most part, because I have to admit, they're the original. Some dubs are great though, like FMA dub > FMA sub. :D or FLCL dub > FLCL sub. And I honestly think that also the Inuyasha dub > Inuyasha sub. hahah.
I have watched Dead Leaves without any subs or dubs, but I got through it. laugh.gif
SharperMyspace
Dubbed always sounds awkward. I like hearing the Japanese voice actor's expressions. Also, in serious anime, it adds to some of the emotion. But I hate it how with subbed, you have to look at the screen the whole time or you will miss something. It's not like you can look away and still listen to it x.x
ForgiveTheSinner
I hate dubs. Sounds so annoying and usually the girls sound retarded.

Subs all the way. And plus...I think Japanese is hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.