Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATTENTION: Must have written permission
Forums > News and Announcements > Announcements
Pages: 1, 2
pandora
I'm just going to say this once. Just because you cite credit to an artist for using their photos or graphic art does not give you permission to use it. You must submit written approval from the original artists before you use any of their work from now on. Quote them in your comments or send a PM to a design staff or something.
miyashu
Otherwise, the graphic/layout will be rejected?

I'm tired of seeing layouts that use deviantart images when the designer probably didn't even ask for permission to use it. It's really a simple process.

(Guys, if the artist never replies to your email, take the hint and don't use the artwork/photo/whatever.)

illriginal
QUOTE(pandora @ Feb 20 2008, 06:28 PM) *
I'm just going to say this once. Just because you cite credit to an artist for using their photos or graphic art does not give you permission to use it. You must submit written approval from the original artists before you use any of their work from now on. Quote them in your comments or send a PM to a design staff or something.

What exactly happens if they don't? o.O
superstitious
^ They will get rejected.
digitalfragrance
If the artist specifies that we can use their work with no conditions attached, or only as long as we credit them, do we still have to ask for permission?
Simba
Like, an actual picture or scan of written approval, or the kind of written approval you can type up yourself and forge?

Rach, she said regardless of if you give credit. I dunno 'bout the no strings attached thing though.
vogueXdirge
What if it's a random image from Photobucket, and we do not know of it's original location?

and also, what if it's an editorial spread from a magazine?

I think it's going to be hard to get a popular Fashion Photographer's permission for a couple icons.
S-Majere
It may be fairer to limit this more to Deviantart, seeing as CB has more complaints from that networking site than any other.

Any images from Photobucket can be searched for via keywords on DA, voguexdirge.

pandora
you shouldnt be taking images from photobucket. photobucket and google are not stock photo houses.

if the original creator is giving full creative license for anyone to use their shit, then just copy and paste a statement that says so.
vogueXdirge
So what about fashion editorials?

I get a bunch of my pics for icons from Fotodecadent on LJ. Do I have to get credit from the poster, or do I simply post a credit to the Photographer.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really not trying to be a bother.
:3
pandora
just credit the source. i think we're all okay with people using scans, because the magazine doesnt really give a shit. we're not making money from these layouts.

but a different story would be if you go on someones photography site where they have clearly said not to use their work, and you use it anyway and think just giving them credit is going to make it okay.

photobucket and google images are forbidden. we dont know where these images are coming from.
falsetigerlimbs
I just want to mention that sxc.hu is a good place to get stock photography. The people who submit photographs there tend to really like people to use their photos for things, and will happily give you permission (I've discovered this from experience). So maybe it would be good to look there before photobucket-ing/googling. _smile.gif
sweetalacrity
Stock.xchng is a good source but you must read the license carefully. Some images still require you ask the photographer for permission to use it (And manipulate it in photoshop or whatever as well).

vogueXdirge
Thank you all so much for the tips and clarification!
Gryffindor-Girl
What about Common Celebrity pictures that are all over the web like this.-->>LINK

I have seen that picture everywhere. Or what about screen caps from t.v. shows and Movies
pandora
Ok none of us give a shit about celebrity photos because half of them are out there for publicity anyway. I'm talking about taking photos and graphics from someone's deviantart or personal portfolio.

really, it's a very simple concept, people.
freeflow
Celebrities are a different story. You just linked a website right? Just credit that. Guys it's a simple concept. :)

Gryffindor-Girl
QUOTE(pandora @ Feb 21 2008, 12:44 AM) *
Ok none of us give a shit about celebrity photos because half of them are out there for publicity anyway. I'm talking about taking photos and graphics from someone's deviantart or personal portfolio.

Oh Ok THANK YOU!
biggrin.gif
freeridefight
QUOTE(falsetigerlimbs @ Feb 20 2008, 08:35 PM) *
I just want to mention that sxc.hu is a good place to get stock photography. The people who submit photographs there tend to really like people to use their photos for things, and will happily give you permission (I've discovered this from experience). So maybe it would be good to look there before photobucket-ing/googling. _smile.gif

that is what I do thumbsup.gif
monstrum
Heck yes! Thank you :)!! I was wondering when people would get around to reinforcing the rules about using other people's artwork/stock without proper credit.
MissHygienic
QUOTE(miyashu @ Feb 20 2008, 07:23 PM) *
Otherwise, the graphic/layout will be rejected?

I'm tired of seeing layouts that use deviantart images when the designer probably didn't even ask for permission to use it. It's really a simple process.

(Guys, if the artist never replies to your email, take the hint and don't use the artwork/photo/whatever.)

Well, that would ideally be the case--to reject it if they have proof that the designer gave them permission, but I think we'll end up rejecting more good ones than not. I can't say for sure, but how would we know indefinitely that it's actual proof instead of them just making it up, provided that they give credit, as well? Are we, as reviewers, now have to check DeviantART for validity?
RyanChronicles
Makes perfect sense to me :P
SkeleBoy
Good Idea. =]
pandora
QUOTE(MissHygienic @ Feb 21 2008, 05:02 PM) *
Well, that would ideally be the case--to reject it if they have proof that the designer gave them permission, but I think we'll end up rejecting more good ones than not. I can't say for sure, but how would we know indefinitely that it's actual proof instead of them just making it up, provided that they give credit, as well? Are we, as reviewers, now have to check DeviantART for validity?

no, at this point we will have made enough precaution to say we did everything possible to ensure that the work being submitted is their own, and if it isn't we're not liable.
bangxdisco
..are you guys dumb?
just do what they're asking.
it's really not that hard to ask someone if you can use their pictures
i dont see why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
Venia
Good idea. It's not like there aren't plenty of stock places around.
ToxicTaco
^true. but the good ones you have to pay for pinch.gif
maivue
Do you really think ALL the work you administrators used were ALL authorize by the original artist? If you think we should all get authorization then probably 95% of your users will be threatened and never use your site again? Wait, including me, it would be 96%.
pandora
ok. never use the site again. we don't really care either way. victory.gif
ToxicTaco
^ agreed

or (god forbid) you use your own images. blink.gif
rnicron
QUOTE(maivue @ Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM) *
Do you really think ALL the work you administrators used were ALL authorize by the original artist? If you think we should all get authorization then probably 95% of your users will be threatened and never use your site again? Wait, including me, it would be 96%.
Great logic. For you to make a jump from 95% to 96%, there'd only have to be 100 members using this site, which there isn't. One person leaving isn't going to cause a downfall, so go away.
pandora
throb.gif
hypnotique
QUOTE(maivue @ Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM) *

OMG TOO MANY PERCENTS.

ToxicTaco
^ wtf?
they're right. one member leaving doesn't make a difference. Soon, there will be someone to fill the gap.
girlpower65
What if I'm linking to someone's tutorial in a tutorial of my own and the person doesn't get back to me to give me premission?
superstitious
QUOTE(Dominatrix @ Mar 2 2008, 02:57 PM) *

I had that as my avatar on another forum a few years back.

I'm curious as to why you'd be linking a different tutorial on one that you are submitting. I'm sure it would be legit, but if I were reviewing the tutorial, it would be an auto red flag.

It's not a graphic, but you should still have permission from the tutorial's original author if you are using material from their tutorial.
o0osinghio0o
how about if you did your own art/photo/etc? how do we show proof of that?
MissHygienic
I think we can usually tell and make an educated guess whether or not you made it. I've seen some tremendous things submitted by overall average designers; therefore, it was obviously not made by them and I reject it for failing to provide credit. If you've used any stock photography from DeviantART or anything else that wasn't made by you, we expect you to respect copyrights and to inform us. It's basically a designer's rule of thumb.
libertie
To add to what Whitney just said, if you did take or make the picture used in the layout, it wouldn't hurt to say so. You did it, why not brag? It helps us both out.
ataraxykfx
It's basic copyrighting law people...look it up on wikipedia, or whatever gets you by. If you can go through the effort to put so much time into these layouts, you owe it to yourselves to look into it. Anyone who's even thinking about getting into design (whether it be professionally or on a site like this, or dA) needs to have a basic understanding of creative commons and fair use rules.

Images that have been around for a certain number of years fall under the fair use umbrella. The celebrity issue is a little different. That depends on a lot of things, because the copyright technically belongs to the photographer in many cases.

You simply CAN NOT use other people's work for your own without their explicit permission. Use some common sense. I just don't think it's that much to ask to have a little integrity. Either get the permission you need, make your own images (now there's an idea), or leave. People are going to quit putting their stuff up (or put big ugly watermarks all over them) because it gets stolen.

Obviously there's no way to guarantee that stolen art doesn't get through, but I think the point is to make everyone stop and think about what their putting into their designs.

There are a few sites to look at for free stock too. It's worth doing the research. It might not always be the highest quality but there are good ones and with some skills you can turn them into amazing designs.

Glance at the terms of service pages with royalty-free photo sites, most say you can use them for your own designs as long as you're not selling the actual file as your own work.

www.morguefile.com
http://www.pachd.com/free-images/index.html

Sorry this was so long...I just felt like I had to throw my 2..er..10..cents in. blink.gif

Kloe
Hi, I'm French. Where mark a permission? ( Sorry for English, I am not very strong )
MissHygienic
QUOTE(Kloe @ Mar 9 2008, 09:34 AM) *
Hi, I'm French. Where mark a permission? ( Sorry for English, I am not very strong )

When you submit a layout or any graphic, you can add comments. In there, you can simply say, "Picture taken from [source]." It will show up in a text box beneath your graphic.
nothing_plus_this
about time.
endsofspace
This has been up for quite a long time and though it mentions fanart, I think it SHOULD apply to all works of online artists.

OFP
Anephoria
Er, I have a quick question. What if the picture comes from a movie or video game? Should I just put their web address in a credit box or something?
pandora
QUOTE(pandora @ Feb 20 2008, 10:44 PM) *
I'm talking about taking photos and graphics from someone's deviantart or personal portfolio.

Anephoria
eh, right...
wrong topic
thx!
rejakalu
What about stock photography off of createBlog?
pandora
QUOTE(pandora @ Feb 20 2008, 10:44 PM) *
I'm talking about taking photos and graphics from someone's deviantart or personal portfolio.

pandora
Just to be clear, you cannot copy a website's layout (such as hollisterco.com) and then put your own content on top of it. That is copyright infringement to the fullest. Please do not do this for any layouts you submit as a resource to the site, and/or for your own cb profile layout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.