Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comic Books Are Literature Too.
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
NoSex
So, who here is a comic book or graphic novel reader?

I'm just finishing up Preacher, which is fantastic.
I'm halfway into The Watchmen, Black Hole, Tomie, and a few others.
xquizit
*raises hand*

i'm new to graphic novels but i'm already addicted.

i've read both 'box office poison' and 'tricked' by alex robinson. just finished 'ghost world' by dan clowes last night. i have a bunch in line to read when i get the chance... including 'american splendor', 'palomar', 'black hole', 'blankets', 'the watchmen' among others...

told you i was addicted.
stephinika
I haven't read all that many, but I want to read more. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series though. I have his book, Endless Nights thats related to that series.
superstitious
Too many to list. People who know me here, know I love my comics.

Wonder Woman, obviously. I'm thrilled Gail Simone has taken over the books for now (for the most part). I'm a DC person, although I love other publishers as well. Dark Horse offers up good fare, as does Vertigo, although Vertigo is somewhat the naughty extension of DC.

Right now I'm rereading JLA trades:
Tower of Babel and Obsidian Age 1 and 2 (both JLA comics)

Preacher is outstanding. I'm so glad to be seeing you read that, Nate. How are you liking the Buffy series? Oh and have you read any Fray? Outstanding series about the future Buffy (like, post apocalyptic Buffy, but without a real apocalypse, so to speak).

I'm actually hitting my shop on Sunday, since my tax returns (state that is) has been deposited.

I recommend Hellboy and BPRD strongly if you (anyone) hasn't a chance to read any. Pick up a trade or two to catch up. Oh and check out iFanboy.com podcast. Their weekly reviews are typically spot on.
CapCaDancer
Where's the line?
What determines whether something is a 'comic book' versus a 'graphic novel'?
NoSex
QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Preacher is outstanding. I'm so glad to be seeing you read that, Nate. How are you liking the Buffy series? Oh and have you read any Fray? Outstanding series about the future Buffy (like, post apocalyptic Buffy, but without a real apocalypse, so to speak).

Preacher is quite fantastic. Some lame-o took my last collection from my locker and I haven't been able to read it - it's killing me. Getting really antsy to finish it.

I've read the first collection of Season Eight, but that's it really. I have the rest of the released issues, I just need to read them. So far, It's very faithful to the style and heart of the show (or at least I think so), and it's really great because of that. It's awesome to see where they took it with the new medium, and I love the choices they've made both artistically and "plot-wise."

I hear in the original series they decided to include Dawn... I'm excited to see how they do that. I heard that received a lot of criticism for it, but I think it's a great idea.

As goes anything else, I've only heard of and browsed... when I get the time, I'll definitely be checking all of that out.

QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Feb 22 2008, 05:18 PM) *
Where's the line?
What determines whether something is a 'comic book' versus a 'graphic novel'?

There is no line. The terms 'graphic novel' and 'comic book' are, in all practicality, synonymous. The only thing that 'graphic novel' has done for the world of comics is made them a bit more acceptable. The stigmatization and narrowly defined world of 'comics' is a sad misrepresentation of a beautiful and amazingly open art form.

Speaking of, who has read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics? It's seriously amazing. I'm half way through it and it's definitely the most insightful, interesting, and consciousness-expanding piece of theoretical analysis of the (invisible) artistry of comic books. If you haven't picked up yet, do it! It's a must read for any comic fan.

Oh, and the best part? It's a comic itself! Not only does McCloud use the persuasion of written word, he also shows his audience exactly what he's talking about.

hypnotique
Batman HUSH,George perez's version of wonder woman,Pretty much anything DC though i got into spiderman recently but those are ones with my 3rd favorite ally blackcat (see siggy)

I am also a fan of dark horse comics stuff but those are really manga's like ghost in the shell.
NoSex
QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
I'm a DC person

QUOTE(Dominatrix @ Feb 23 2008, 10:37 AM) *
Pretty much anything DC

I've never read DC. Am I bad person?
superstitious
Yes, Nate. You are a complete wretch.

DC is VERY commercial, I'll warn you of that. So is Marvel. Part of the reason why I keep reading DC is became I'm somewhat of loyalist and it was my first comic-verse. So in a way, it's like coming home.

You might like Teen Titans (not the Go! aka Cartoon Network version). It's angsty, but believe or not, there's some fantastic story telling in that series. Hush is good and you can pick up or borrow a trade. In fact, I know my library has it so yours might as well. Avoid anything Batman related material Frank Miller writes. I love Frank Miller and am very fond of Sin City, but after a few reads, I don't like his Batman voice. The Killing Joke is f**king amazing. I think you should pick that up for a first DC-verse read.
hypnotique
QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 23 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Yes, Nate. You are a complete wretch.

DC is VERY commercial, I'll warn you of that. So is Marvel. Part of the reason why I keep reading DC is became I'm somewhat of loyalist and it was my first comic-verse. So in a way, it's like coming home.

You might like Teen Titans (not the Go! aka Cartoon Network version). It's angsty, but believe or not, there's some fantastic story telling in that series. Hush is good and you can pick up or borrow a trade. In fact, I know my library has it so yours might as well. Avoid anything Batman related material Frank Miller writes. I love Frank Miller and am very fond of Sin City, but after a few reads, I don't like his Batman voice. The Killing Joke is f**king amazing. I think you should pick that up for a first DC-verse read.

Mad love pwns.

OMG I FINNALLY FOUND OUT WHAT ZATANNA LOOKS LIKE FROM READING Identity crisis (which is sad and awesome)

Shes hot.
Shes like...almost as hot as black cat...
lkajsfklajskds
PERSEPOLIS!
there is a book two as well
superstitious
I'm reading Preacher: Gone to Texas (tpb)

This stuff is brilliant. I've read Preacher before, but I decided to start over with the first trade collection. Absolutely amazing. This is probably the best series I've read in a long time and definitely a topper on my list of what I need to read.

Everything in this book, from the dialogue to the art to the vivid characterizations are amazing. I haven't been this enthralled in a book, beit graphic novel or otherwise in a very long time.

edit: And Diana, Zatanna is definitely one of the hottest DC chicks EVER. Check out "Everyday Magic" sometime. It's a one shot, Paul Dini scribed graphic novel, put out by Vertigo (DC's bastard child).
yrrnotelekktric
runaways!
xquizit
I just finished Black Hole and Shortcomings (Adrian Tomine). Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels... similar to Alex Robinson, Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes work?
superstitious
^Have you read any Love and Rockets? It's a Jaime Hernandez (and his brothers) penned indie comic that is really quite fantastic.

Oh and here's a recent issues rating from ifanboy. I LOVE those guys. I listen to their podcast weekly.
NoSex
QUOTE(yrrnotelekktric @ Mar 5 2008, 07:25 PM) *
runaways!

I'm just getting ready to read this (if not only because six of the title issues were written by Joss Whedon, ahh ha). How is it?

QUOTE(xquizit @ Mar 6 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels...

I just recently read I Never Loved You by Chester Brown. It actually really effected me. It's minimalist. I think a few pages were entirely blank, and several featured only a single black and white panel. It's an auto-biographical re-visiting of the author's childhood (leading up to the end of high school). Sort of strange, very subtle, very relatable (especially for a growing boy who sometimes suspects he's a bit sociopathic), sort of haunting, and even touching.

Find the book and read it in one sitting (not hard, and not something you would regret).
superstitious
I haven't read anything lately in the comicverse. Time, money, all that stuff. I DO want to get the second tpb of Preacher though. Perhaps next month.
The-March-Hare
You know, I really mus tmake the effort to check out some of ths stuff... If nothing else Buffy 8 is definitely on my list.
NoSex
I just started the Civil War event. It's so f**king good.

I just downloaded the complete chronological series, and, it's such a relief that someone organized it all into a torrent, cause, it would be so hard to track down all those paperbacks (and to put them into order). Really, though, it's a very exciting collection of comics. I'm looking forward to finishing it all.

P.S. Whose side are you on?
superstitious
Dude, f**k Iron Man in Civil War. That's all I'll say until you've finished it.

superstitious
BUMP

Did you ever finish Civil War?
NoSex
QUOTE(superstitious @ Jun 23 2008, 06:59 PM) *
BUMP

Did you ever finish Civil War?

Ha, unfortunately not. I'm still stuck about a fourth of the way through. I've been having a multi-media overload lately - watching a lot of movies (a movie a day so far this month), reading (comics, books, reddit, wiki), and television (arrested development, firefly).

But, I'm going to try to pick it up again.
Ack, this reminds me that I'm like two issues behind on Season Eight.
superstitious
BUMP, to respond to this -

QUOTE(hypnotique @ Mar 10 2009, 08:19 PM) *
I never liked superman really. he was too much a good boy for my liking.
Edit//

WTF I PAID MORE FOR TOB by like alot wtfffff

I paid like 25 something for mine when it first came out in trade form.

It's one of my favorite arcs, EVER.
hypnotique
I liked TOB.

Man ive come to 2 conclusions 1: Comics will make a girl go broke it seems
2: Im going to miss Michael Turner's (RIP) cover art dude
superstitious
I f*cking LOVE Dini.

Diana, have you seen Gotham Girls?
mipadi
Unrelated to comic books as literature, but last summer (August) I saw a cool exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that showcased the influence of comic book artwork on the fashion world.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera that day. But I don't think I could take pictures anyway.
superstitious
I was intrigued, so I researched:
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/superheroes/

I LOVE THIS. Comics can be dismissed as trivial and elementary and I've got to say, I've had the opposite experience more often than not. It seems as though the only time comics are "cool", is when a mega budget Hollywood movie is created based upon a comic or graphic novel. I mean seriously, can you honestly say that all the fan chicks out there lusting after Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark would have known who Tony Stark was before the movie Iron Man was released? There might be a few (and I proudly count myself among them), but more so, I'd have to say not.

This transcends comic book art into fashion art, and I'm impressed. The typical Superman themed shirt (which I'm guilty of owning) or Wonder Woman coffee mug (which I'm also guilty of owning) is neat, but I love seeing something more elaborate and original.
superstitious
The google header is awesome today for DC comics fans. :D
hypnotique
Bump.

Because Gotham City Sirens is amazing.
xquizit
I love everything by Adriane Tomine.

I've also read Black Hole, Watchmen, Torso among others... love them.
batman
does anybody read fables? i just bought and finished the first volume, legends in exile, and i'm in love. i'm downloading the rest but i'll definitely be buying all the volumes eventually.
Joanne
QUOTE(batman @ May 10 2010, 11:16 PM) *
does anybody read fables? i just bought and finished the first volume, legends in exile, and i'm in love. i'm downloading the rest but i'll definitely be buying all the volumes eventually.

Fables sounds so interesting! I love reading different takes on traditional fairy tale characters... but I don't think I will be reading it anytime soon, as I want to get the most out of my current Batman phase first. tongue.gif

Speaking of Batman, what are your favourite graphic novels involving him? So far I've read Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, and The Dark Knight Returns. And I will be reading Kingdom Come for my English class this coming semester.

I was very close in buying Hush by Jeph Loeb, but it ended up being more expensive than I had anticipated, haha (will definitely be asking for it for my birthday hehe). The concept of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth really interests me, but I'm not sure if I would be able to appreciate the extremely different type of art. =\

So yeah... suggestions would be nice. _smile.gif
batman
i actually haven't read any batman graphic novels, sadly. i keep planning to, though. i've never been a fan of comics until i started Fables. it's the first series I really, really got into, so I think after this, I'm going to start branching out.

BTW READ FABLES IT IS AMAZING AND IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. READ BEFORE I END UP POSTING ALL THE SPOILERS ON TUMBLR BECAUSE I CANT HELP MYSELF.
superstitious
Fables <3

(Will elaborate later)
batman
http://f*ckyeahfables.tumblr.com

i had to.

any fable fans on cb want to be a member and post? (cough rebs cough)
batman
alright, starting preacher. i have high expectations after all the preacher hype in this thread.
superstitious
QUOTE(batman @ May 14 2010, 03:32 PM) *
http://f*ckyeahfables.tumblr.com

i had to.

any fable fans on cb want to be a member and post? (cough rebs cough)

I'm an graphic novel thread abandoner! I'm issuing you an "I OWE YOU" Fable thoughts narrative *makes note*

QUOTE(batman @ May 20 2010, 09:40 AM) *
alright, starting preacher. i have high expectations after all the preacher hype in this thread.

I hope you like it, as most people either love it, hate it, or just don't know what to make of it. Ennis has always been a pretty graphic writer so I can understand a gaping response to his narrative imagery. I always tell people though - Preacher is a Vertigo print, and Vertigo is the naughty little stepchild of DC Comics.
Joanne
This probably means nothing to you guys who go to Comicon all the time, but I went to my first one in Vancouver today. It kinda sucked because it was in a pretty small room, but I MET DAVID LLOYD!!!!!!!! So freaking cool. It was kind of awkward though because I couldn't think of anything to say to him while he was signing my copy of V for Vendetta.

Oh and James Lloyd was there too. My friend got him to sign his copy of Futurama/Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis.
Kathleen
QUOTE(xquizit @ Mar 6 2008, 11:24 AM) *
I just finished Black Hole and Shortcomings (Adrian Tomine). Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels... similar to Alex Robinson, Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes work?

Not familiar with those artists, but I highly recommend Koren Shadmi's In the Flesh or anything from Jason.

Late to jump into the Preacher love, but count me in that! Not to be a pest, but I thought that Vertigo was owned by DC? They simply pushed "mature" comics under that label, right?

I can't believe that Y: The Last Man has yet to be mentioned...

I feel like an awful BTVS fan, but I still need to catch up on season eight. I think that I stopped reading (granted, the comics are collecting dust) around the time Twilight's identity was revealed.

I'm also very hooked on Chew at the moment. Rob Guillory's art is out of this world!
Joanne
QUOTE(Kathleen @ Jun 9 2010, 10:54 PM) *
can't believe that Y: The Last Man has yet to be mentioned...

I've read the first edition! I've got to say I found it pretty awesome. Currently waiting for my cousin to lend me the second one...

I READ BATMAN: HUSH. Holy crap. So freaking good.
Kathleen
QUOTE(Joanne @ Jun 9 2010, 10:58 PM) *
I've read the first edition! I've got to say I found it pretty awesome. Currently waiting for my cousin to lend me the second one...

I READ BATMAN: HUSH. Holy crap. So freaking good.

While the chances of me having a kid are extremely rare, I'd have to say that I'm fairly intent on naming my child Yorick haha.

Eeeek, the only Batman comic I've read was The Killing Joke, and that was because Alan Moore penned it. _unsure.gif
Joanne
I absolutely LOVED The Killing Joke. I found Alan Moore's take on Joker's origin fascinating... it actually made me feel kind of bad for him. And damn, the art is sexy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.