Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you buy or borrow most of your books?
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Pages: 1, 2
angelrevelation
Do you usually buy your books from the store, or do you usually just borrow books from the library?

I really wish I could buy all of mine, but books are so expensive ermm.gif They're usually each around $15 minimum. But then it'd be a waste if I bought a book and it turned out really bad. That's happened a few times. If you sell them to a used book store you hardly get anything for them, that is if they even accept them.

But with library books, they can sometimes be really dirty (who knows who's touched them pinch.gif), and some people 'dog ear' pages, which REALLY bugs me. Then there are the due dates and fines... And what if you want to read the book again? You have to wait forever to get it again, especially if it's a popular book and there's a waiting list.
laxumaster8
i usually go to barnes and nobles and read a book there
karmakiller
Sometimes I'll buy them. Most of the books I've read lately are ones that I've bought. Most of the time when I buy a book and read it, I won't read it again because I can remember everything that I'm going to read. A lot times when I go to the library I forget to take them back (even the school library), haha. I used to read a lot more than I do now, so I'd wait until they came out in paperback, because then they'd be cheaper.
HelloSunshine
I buy mine.

For some reason, I can't stand having library books. It's a strange, strange hatred. blink.gif
alysaphobia

I buy.
Most books I read, I end up reading over again- especially if I love it.
alovesopure
Most of the time I either buy them, or just sit in barnes&noble and read them.
I do have a few books that I've borrowed though. haha
YourSuperior
I usually buy my books from our local college book store.
lovefooled
Buy. Goodwill is your friend.
JustAnotherTeenageLoser
I usually borrow. I read so much & books can get really expensive, so every few weeks or so I'll pick up around 10-15 books from the library :]
cori-catastrophe
library. movies as well. much cheaper.
freeflow
I buy all mine, I hate borrowing especially when I want to keep the book. Plus I should be banned from the library because I never remember to take the books back on time.
Detective
I borrow them from the library.
michellerrific
Borrow. Lately the only thing i read is like, Gossip Girl and those are over 10 bucks a book. No way jose.
omgomgKATHY
I buy them cause i dont have a library card lol -.-, and cause i like to be able to go back to the book anytime.

I really hate it when they don't have paperback books, hard cover is so expensive pinch.gif
pinacoolada
buy.
I hate borrowing...besides, I'm really irresponsible when it comes to returning library stuff.
xhidethedetails
I buy mine. I havent been to a public library in ages.
synthase
Sometimes I go to the library, but for some reason, I always end up with an overdue fine
stephinika
I used to go to the library a lot when I was a kid, but now I either borrow from friends or buy some when I have the money.
tokyo-rose
I borrow books way more often than I buy them. Often the ones I buy are part of a series I really love, or they're by an author whose books I want to own most of.
Lolitakitty
My friends and I always borrow books from eachother. We all have about 5 books that get passed around to everyone.
rochelley-o
I usually borrow my books. I rarely buy books because I'll only end up reading them once or twice and then I'll forget about them. There are only certain books I've bought that I read over and over again.
ersatz
I definitely buy. I like to own my own books because I usually read more than one at a time and read half of one and the other half three months later. Plus I like to reference them so they're good to have. And my friends can actually borrow it when I recommend it!
davinci
I don't buy leisure reading books. Have to save up for textbooks... and tuition. _smile.gif I generally borrow but lately, I've been reading a lot of e-books.
illriginal
I buy and download e-books for free :D
marzipan
I pretty much buy all of my books.
Sometimes I'll borrow books only if I know I'm probably not going to read it again. Like the Series of Unfortunate Events. I borrowed all those from the library.
MrStrife
I check them out of the library and never give them back.
Joss-eh-lime
i try my hardest to borrow books, because i usually never read them again unless they are fantastic.

but with a few, like New Moon[Stephenie Meyer], or Specials[Scott Westerfield] i was so anxious to read them i just bought them.
xKatt
QUOTE(Chessboxxa 101 @ Jul 3 2007, 02:27 AM) *
I check them out of the library and never give them back.

XD.gif

I borrow. Then I'll feel more compelled to read it instead of putting it off (to meet the deadline).
LadyXTor
QUOTE(laxumaster8 @ Jun 5 2007, 09:31 PM) *
i usually go to barnes and nobles and read a book there

haha! Me too! I only buy books when I need to annotate or if I've already read it before and know it's good.
EmoEyelinerx
I buy all of mine. I dont think I ever borrowed a book now that I think of it. For the last Harry Potter I payed $70 whistling.gif it doesent really matter what the prices of the books are. My parents are just glad im reading.
1angel3
I borrow, thats the beauty of the library.
dustbunny
omgfg. omfg. omfg. we have to BUY our TEXTBOOKS for our school..and the tab came out 500+...i almost passed out
brooklyneast05

i buy almost all of mine
because i can't stand the thought of used dirty books
especially old ones from the library, their pages feel greasy and discolored
i wanna throw up just thinking about it
if i could over come my problem, id borrow them and save myself money
austinoutloud
most of the time i buy my books.
because
a) i never, ever return library books on time.
b) i lost my library card
c) i have a huge late fee at the library.
d) there are no other libraries where i live
e) the librarians at school scare me.
f) new books smell better. who doesnt love getting new books? all the pages are crisp and clean and uncrinkly.
smileeetina
QUOTE(UniversalRoyalty @ Jun 5 2007, 10:02 PM) *
I buy mine.

For some reason, I can't stand having library books. It's a strange, strange hatred. blink.gif

SAME HERE! The thought of having to return the books back bugs me. Haha, I buy mine from amazon.com, Or go to Barnes & Noble. (:
xcorphz
i agree with XGIVEMETHECITYX..
thumbsup.gif
DeviantShadows
I refuse to borrow from a library; the books are always gross and reek of cigarette smoke.
Crash2
I usually buy books. I use the library mostly for non-fiction stuff for research projects and stuff.

I buy most of the novels that are required for school. I usually take a while to read school stuff and don't like to mess with due dates, re-checking the books out, and fines.
monxcheri
it`s actually half and half for me. as much as possible, i try to borrow books before buying them so i don`t waste my money, but then again, our public library sucks so it doesn`t have many of the books that i want to read, so i end up buying some of my books anyway.
secretwish
i dont really like buying books because i read them, and then stuff them in my bookcase, letting it collect dust.
so i just go to the libraryyyy.
Gryffindor-Girl
I am so spoiled I have bought or gotten (as gifts) the majority of the books I have read probably like 75%. But I have also donated some of them.
VaeVictis

Definately buy, because;

1.) If I really like a book, I'll read it over and over and over, and

2.) I like to keep my books in my case and proudly show them off, like trophies.
Gryffindor-Girl
QUOTE(VaeVictis @ Aug 7 2007, 12:34 AM) *
Definately buy, because;

1.) If I really like a book, I'll read it over and over and over, and

2.) I like to keep my books in my case and proudly show them off, like trophies.

Ditto!!!
Mulder
I buy them.

Well, actually, I get them for birthday presents, but they're paid for.

I re-read them constantly, so I would die if I didn't own them.
loljuliana
i buy all of my books. i love being able to own the book rather than having to give it back, especially if it's a really good book.
RAWRstephishere
Library.

Id be broke if I bought all of my books.

I can usually get them back on time. And if theres a book I want I can put a hold on it online, so when I go to the library is all ready for me. :]

I use the public library, not the school.
They fine you alot and its more of a hassle.

As for school books, sometimes the teachers sell them or loan them out, if I need too, Ill buy it, because its a lot easier.
faydedprimadonna
i read so much thatt would be impossible to buy books without winning the lottery lol... i usually try to borrow, unless i'm addicted to an author (laurell k. hamilton, james reese, peter straub...) i'm completely addicted to series' so if i get into a series i HAVE to collect them all (much like pokemon tongue.gif ) there's also a bunch of really great websites where you can read books online for free... the selection can be kinda limited, but it's worth checking out!
annalucky
I usually buy them if I really like it. Then again, I sometimes just head of to the library to borrow them. I think I buy more though. I like to read. :)
DarkImpressions
I usually buy them because some people act funny with their things and they want to ask for it back as soon as you get into it!
babytina
I borrow almost all my books from the library. I only buy books that I will definitely read again. Like, SAT books, or novels with SAT vocabulary. _unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.