Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Wordpress
Forums > Resource Center > Support Center > Wordpress Support > Wordpress Resolved Topics
bigtrey90
Okay I have made my Wordpress account, now I need some help on where to download anything I need to put my blogs onto my website, basically how to put it on to my website as well. I am aware that Wordpress is not the simplest blog program in the world, but from what I have seen through this website is that it is SPAM free, well atleast less spam than others happy.gif .
So can somebody help me, thanks in advance.

ps. I am trying to get everything I need together first, BEFORE I make a website. & I am looking into a Wordpress account on a website like this:

Example Wordpress Powered Website
freeflow
Spam? What are you talking about? Are you saying wordpress is spam? I don't know where you got that but you must of really misinterpreted it alot. Wordpress is not spam , but some people get spam comments but there are many ways to prevent that.

Firstly, you don't make a wordpress account. If you make an account then you can't really do anything with it unless you are going to build your entire site into wordpress. You have to download the script and install it on your website .

You have two options into getting wordpress onto your blog website. You can code your entire layout in wordpress. Which is what the linked site did and if you see my site in my sig I did the same thing.

Second option is to build your website and use an iframe to get wordpress on there. This option is easier for people with barely any or no experience whatsoever.

bigtrey90
l0l I meant to say SPAM FREE, so bascially I am the second option cause I am new with this blogging info for websites. So If I buy a domain, do I still need hosting if I use Wordpress for my website? I have been to other website's with a domain, but when I went to their blog on their page, next to the link at the top, it said wordpress next to it, idk if you know what I;m talking about but I don't want that. So I can make my whole page in Dreamweaver and put the code on Wordpress?
freeflow
haha oh. Wordpress gets spam (sometimes) but as I said before there are many was to prevent it. _smile.gif

Yes no matter what if you get a domain you need hosting. Some people who have domains host other domains. You just have to find one , or you can buy hosting. Plus you will still need to download and install wordpress anyway.

I don't understand what you mean, so if you have an example you can show me.
You have two otions as I said above. 1) Make your whole site in wordpress, like I did and the site you did. If you do that you can use dreamweaver to get it started but you won't need it really. It can help sometimes but its just extra. 2) You can use an iframe. You can get the same result in a way. With an iframe you can use dreamweaver to code you whole layout plus the iframe. But you will still have to log into wordpress (once you download and install it) to make the wordpress template.

bigtrey90
Oh okay, so I need to buy a domain & hosting and if I want to use wordpress, what does the hosting have to do with anything if I want to add more than a blog to my website? Sorry I'm still new at this, but I basically want to have extra content like the website I posted. So why don't I need to use Dreamweaver & what is a iFrame, sorry if i sound slow & where would I download Wordpress?
freeflow
Its ok ask as many questions as you need. Lets put it this way ...You can't have a domain that works without hosting. . If you want a domain , like a website, you need hosting. Without hosting its not going to work at all and its going ot be a blank page. Whether or not you had a blog site, fan site, music site, inapropriate site you need hosting.

Surpass is having a deal right now, (http://www.surpasshosting.com/content/onelove/) $1 hosting for a whole year. But before purchasing it , I suggest you go to http://webhostingtalk.com/ and search "surpass" or "surpass hosting" to see what people thought about their service in general. If you think enough people said yes to convince you go ahead and buy it.

There are many other sites, some even offer a free domain or allow you to buy the domain from them, etc. But before you buy anywhere search them at http://webhostingtalk.com/ . You may not want to buy if you get stuck with a bad company its not so pleasant.
bigtrey90
Okay thanks. Now where do I download Wordpress and what are iframes?
freeflow
You can't use wordpress till you have a doman , subdomain or a website with mysql and allows php. (Note : When you buy hosting you must get mysql databases in the package. Sorry I should of said that a while ago I totally forgot).

You still have to customize wordpress. Which once you get it installed I can tell you how to just get the blog to show so that it can be ready for the iframe.

You get wordpress http://wordpress.org/
And you can read up on iframes here:
http://pixelfx.org/tuts/html/iframes.html

(where it says src that is where you would put the link to your wordpress blog).

bigtrey90
Oh I know what a iframe is, I just never called it that XD.gif. I already registered for Wordpress, and I downloaded it, what do I do now? & how do I customize my blog? Does mysql databases automatically come with the hosting?
freeflow
You can't customize your blog or do anything with wordpress until you have a host. Some hosts don't give mysql. You need to look before you buy it.

Once you get a host and everything set up. Open the folder and follow the instructions.
bigtrey90
okay thanks, the hosting sight i'm going to get gives 100MB of mysql, but don't close this cause i might have more questions please
freeflow
Space is up to you but before you buy as I said read webhosting talk. You don't want to get ripped off. Plus sometimes you can fine many places that give you more space for the same price.
mipadi
As a small sidenote, I'm currently working on a fork of WordPress that would allow WordPress to operate with SQLite, rather than MySQL.

QUOTE(toyo loco @ Feb 4 2007, 5:44 PM) *
You can't customize your blog or do anything with wordpress until you have a host. Some hosts don't give mysql. You need to look before you buy it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.