Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Great Gatsby
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
HakunaMatata
Many consider The Great Gatsby the closest thing to the Great American Novel ever written. First published in 1925, it is the timeless story of Jay Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchanan. Gatsby lives in the New York suburb of West Egg, where those with "new money" reside. Gatsby's mansion is right across the bay from the home of his wartime love, Daisy Buchanan, pictured always in white.

Gatsby seeks to keep his illusion of Daisy as perfect alive. He uses his money, gained through illegal means, to do so, and uses his neighbor, Nick Carroway, to try to reach Daisy. The love of money as the root of evil is a pervading theme.

-Barnes&Noble.com

Has anyone read this? We're reading this in my English class, and I love it. His descriptions are beautiful, and while the above synopsis seems a little boring, Fitzgerald's style is amazing.
nezumi
I just bought it but I have a dozen other books to read or finish before starting that one!
.fire
I think Daisy is rather retarted by crying over all the shirts Gatsby has...
F_L_I_P
I liked the book but dont watch the movie for it. It sucks!
HakunaMatata
^Yeah, my teacher said the movie doesn't even come close to the how great the book is. _unsure.gif
annalucky
Yep. The movie did suck and I really did like the book.
letsgoxdisco
i read that as my summer reading assignment for AP english. i actually thought it was a really good book. i really loved fitzgerald's descriptions. but like pretty much everyone else has said the movie was awful.

QUOTE(.fire @ Nov 19 2006, 4:56 AM) *
I think Daisy is rather retarted by crying over all the shirts Gatsby has...

I really hated Daisy.
annalucky
^Same here. hate Daisy.
StubbornFemme
Yeah, I had to read this for my English class in my Junior yr. in high school. I thought it would boring and weird but I LOVED IT. Haha, its something you dont say when you HAVE to read a book for class. I just got disgusted when that lady (I forgot her name) gets her left boob chop off her body by the car accident.
HakunaMatata
^Seriously! Normally, I really dislike books that are assigned to me, I usually prefer ones that I choose on my own, but Gatsby in exception, thank goodness.
sprezzatura
I have to read it for English class next semester. I have heard this book is about partying...?!
HakunaMatata
^Umm, there's a lot of partying involved. And to an extent, it is kind of about what partying does to you, since everybody is drunk half the time, but within all of that it's a love story (a twisted and kind of retarded one, but still a love story).
dreamii
I just finsihed this book for my English class! The first chapter was really boring and confusing to me. But I grew to actually like it! It starts to get interesting halfway through the book though. The story shows class distinguishments during the 1920's, and a somewhat "one-sided" love story. Tom and Daisy were just unbelievably selfish throughout the whole story pinch.gif
jr0h
Yeah I just finished the book recently and at first I thought the first few chapters were so boring and I pretty much hated the book. But then I forced myself to keep reading because I wanted to find out why this book was so legendary.

I ended up pulling an all nighter and finishing the book in one night. That's how much I got glued to it. The way Fitzgerald wrote this book is just simply brilliant and impressive. He writes so well!
HakunaMatata
^Yeah, I'm always sketchy about exactly why some books are as famous as they are. Like with To Kill a Mockingbird, I could barely bring myself through the first chapter, but afterward, it was such a great novel. The same thing happened with Gatsby. After a couple pages, it was boring. But when Fitzgerald began to describe Gatsby's mansion, and Tom's mansion it was just so frigging beautiful.

And I wish that I had pulled an all-nighter to read it, but we discussed in class every day and I didn't want to ruin it for me too much.
Rachel
This book was definently one of my favorites that was assigned during high school.
unconfirmed_existance
I was reading this book just a while ago for school!

The book wasn't too shabby,
while the movie we watched of the Great Gastby..
Wasn't too bad either but the kids in my class really
had that scene of Tom's mistress (Myrtle I think?)
getting runned over stuck in their minds big time.

Lot of remarks at that part of the movie.
laugh.gif
letale
We're reading this for my AP English class.

I have to say, Gatsby has got to be one of my favorite characters of all times. Just to analyze the things that he does and other interpretations of it is fascinating. I adore this book because when you read it once, you just skim the surface. There is so much to this book, so much symbolism and so much to figure out and decipher. I love the characters. Daisy and her deathly hollowness, Tom's selfishness, Jordan's lying...

This book is so corrupt! I love it! I definitely think there is little enjoyment to be had from just reading it. When you start discussing it and delving deeper, that's when the fun really starts. Amazing book, really.

I love the quote when Gatsby is first seen by Nick, when it says, "Something in his leisurely movements and the secure position of his feet upon the lawn suggested that it was Mr. Gatsby himself, come out to determine what share was his of our local heavens." Everything in this book, not just this quote, is so beautifully written by Fitzgerald.
Kathleen
I looooooved it. throb.gif Then again, that's no surprise. Heh. I'm reading Tender is the Night now. *Squeals*
T0rmented_Soul
I read this junior year..it sucks that I didn't givie a chance. I ebt it would've been a great book
HakunaMatata
^I've done that with great books, too. Well, maybe not great great books, but I didn't pay all that much attention to Julius Caesar and it showed in my essay. cry.gif

QUOTE(Le Tale @ Dec 12 2006, 4:51 PM) *
I love the quote when Gatsby is first seen by Nick, when it says, "Something in his leisurely movements and the secure position of his feet upon the lawn suggested that it was Mr. Gatsby himself, come out to determine what share was his of our local heavens." Everything in this book, not just this quote, is so beautifully written by Fitzgerald.

I know! Isn't it amazing how beautifully he writes? It seems so natural, but in reality he went through like 7 complete re-writes. pinch.gif

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Dec 13 2006, 10:02 AM) *
I looooooved it. throb.gif Then again, that's no surprise. Heh. I'm reading Tender is the Night now. *Squeals*

Ooooh, is the book as good as Great Gatsby?
Kathleen
^ I personally wouldn't say so, but it's still good!
AimeeLynn
I LOVE THIS BOOOK!!
I normally don't read, but when we were assigned this book to read and i couldn't put it down!
It has a lot of symbolism such as the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg is God and how he sees all what is happening.
I absolutely adore this book.
The movie was alright but it left some parts of it and I think I changed the ending. I don't remember but it wasn't as good as the book.
Kathleen
^ Which version did you watch? I know that the one with Paul Rudd was.. pretty accurate (from what I recall, anyway). pinch.gif
YourSuperior
We're about to start reading this book in my English III class. I heard it was a pretty good book, but some say it gets boring in some parts. But most books always have a boring part in it somewhere.
much2muse
this book is AMAZING!
voguelove
i havent read it but we are reading it this year for ap english 3.
eavesdroppers
I read the book about a month ago. The first 100 pages or so were good... the last 80 or so were the best. Loved it! Beauty as language...
voguelove
okay, we finished it.

it was like..one of the worst books ive ever read.
i hated it. =[
HakunaMatata
^ohmy.gif But why?!?
voguelove
it was "scatter brained" and the plot didnt interest me.
HakunaMatata
^Fair enough, I definitely understand the second half of that. At least tell me that you detested Daisy. whistling.gif
voguelove
only for not waiting for gatsby. shifty.gif
letsgoxdisco
i found my copy of it the other day. i'm reading it again. i have to say (and i've always thought this), the first couple of pages are hard to read, but i do enjoy this book so much. my friend is in regular english (not AP) and she got it read to her, literally, by the teacher. i think it is much more enjoyable reading it on your own. i don't think i could stand being read too.
much2muse
^me either. i cannot comprehend or visually imagine stories when i'm read too.. which i like to do. _smile.gif
[Mediocre]Artist
My sister is reading the book for her high school english class.

My sister says, "Yeah, I kinda liked the book after the first few chapters. The best part about the book is when Myrtle dies (Tom's mistress). I also think Daisy is a big coward for leaving Gatsby, but thats as far as I've gotten. I hope Gatsby dies at then end. Or Tom. That would be great. It'd be really flippin sweet if Daisy killed herself. I think that's how all novels should end. At least all of Fitzgerald's novels."
MiSSxMELON
I just finished The Great Gatsby. I think it's a wonderful book, though it wasn't popular when it was first released. That's understandable though, the economy wasn't doing very well so people didn't want to read about parties. I really like Fitzgerald's writing style. Apparently he wasn't exactly naturally flowy. It took many revisions to get there, but there's nothing wrong with that.
I found it interesting that Daisy "the Golden Girl" represents Fitzgerald's first love, and that she was the one who told him "rich girls don't marry poor boys." I feel rather bad for Fitzgerald...turned down by his first love, married Zelda who ended up going crazy, became an alcoholic, lost his reputation towards the end of his life.
But hey, today he's regarded as one of the best American writers. Ironic how so many authors become famous after they've died.
imano
Definitely on my to-read list!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.