Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: backhandspring/backflip
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Sports
chinke3xcuti3
So I was wondering...is there a way to learn how to do a backhandspring or backflip (they're different) by yourself...? if so, how?!?!

I asked some of my friends to help me with a backhandspring, or at least just support me, but they were too scared they were going to hurt me or something.....

So..basically all I'm asking is...is it possible to learn how to master a backhand spring or back flip by yourself?!?! if there IS a way, then how?

I know the chances of learning a back hand spring by yourself is pretty much impossible...>.< but yeah, it doesnt hurt to askk.
salcha4u
I practiced against a wall when I first learned it (leaning againts it then bending down backwards). It's also a good idea to know how to do a handstand.
me1issaaaa
I used to do those, but I was in gymnastics for years, with the help of my instructor. If I tried to teach myself, I would be paralyzed, if not dead. pinch.gif
thaddsbaby
my whole team is bout to learn how to we go to a camp
chinke3xcuti3
QUOTE(salcha4u @ Nov 12 2006, 6:14 PM) *
I practiced against a wall when I first learned it (leaning againts it then bending down backwards). It's also a good idea to know how to do a handstand.

^um...thats learning how to do a bridge...I already know how to do a bridge... ermm.gif
tokyo-rose
Yeah, it's probably not safe to try to learn it without someone who's qualified to teach it. Like your friends said, you might injure your spine or head or something... >.<
Comptine
don't do it yourself. you can do a handstand or even a walkover but a backspring is way to advanced to learn by yourself. it requires momentum and for you to throw yourself backwards.

try going to the gym and get instructions.
_sarcastic_
the best is to get someone who knows what their doing
chinke3xcuti3
there's nobody I really know around here REALLY well to help me with a backhand spring or even know what they're doing?

Okay...well. so its pretty much impossible? I'll have matts outt when I'm practicing (blue foamyyish oness..but they're pretty heavy), and my parents will probably be home, so if anything DOES happen, they'd knoww.
Gypsy Eyes
Do not attempt anything harder than a walkover without a trained instructor. A girl in my school almost died last year because she snapped her neck.

And don't do a tuck without a instructor either.
Comptine
QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Nov 16 2006, 9:58 PM) *
there's nobody I really know around here REALLY well to help me with a backhand spring or even know what they're doing?

Okay...well. so its pretty much impossible? I'll have matts outt when I'm practicing (blue foamyyish oness..but they're pretty heavy), and my parents will probably be home, so if anything DOES happen, they'd knoww.

even if they do know, they wouldn't be able to help you much. snapping your neck could sever your spinal cord so even if you survive, you'd be paralysised. you could also damage your head or airway.

get an instructor. it's not worth it.
chinke3xcuti3
Okay...

um. so like.......um. dont you have to pay for an instructor and all that crap? i dont think i have the money for that.
salcha4u
QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Nov 13 2006, 2:14 PM) *
^um...thats learning how to do a bridge...I already know how to do a bridge... ermm.gif

Well, getting the backwards momentum to actually do a bridge is the start to doing backflips.

QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Nov 17 2006, 1:17 PM) *
Okay...

um. so like.......um. dont you have to pay for an instructor and all that crap? i dont think i have the money for that.

Yeah then you're screwed.
chinke3xcuti3
^um..wtf

anyways. about how much does it normally cost to get an instructor or lessons?
Comptine
why not ask your parents to pay for the instruction?
Gypsy Eyes
QUOTE(salcha4u @ Nov 17 2006, 7:42 PM) *
Well, getting the backwards momentum to actually do a bridge is the start to doing backflips.

Bridges do nothing for backhandsprings, you're thinking of either a back walkover or a backbend.
chinke3xcuti3
is there a specific step that a backhand spring starts with?...

my friend told me i should practice a handstand, and then just learn how to flip over after the handstand, but land on my feet instead of my butt..um..idk if thats true..is it?
Gypsy Eyes
It usually goes roundoff-backhandpsring.

A hand stand wouldn't really help much. That's closer to a back walkover. A backhandspring has much more of a jump.
RxCore
QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Dec 4 2006, 1:07 PM) *
is there a specific step that a backhand spring starts with?...

my friend told me i should practice a handstand, and then just learn how to flip over after the handstand, but land on my feet instead of my butt..um..idk if thats true..is it?

the handstand would help with a front handspring, not a back handspring.

when i do standing back handsprings, its just a bend and a jump. but obviously there's more technique. i wouldn't recommend doing them in the backyard even if you have mats. try a trampoline (make sure you have a net) or even a jolly jump.

i learned on my cheer team with a tumbling coach. we did sessions at a local gym for $10.50 a session (hour and a half). but tumbling classes at the gym cost about $300, two days a week for 11 weeks. classes last an hour and a half.

but like everyone else says, don't try it alone. it could only end in disaster.
voguelove
QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Nov 13 2006, 4:14 PM) *

shes trying to give advice. the least you could do is be nice. ..
AlphaMoth
LOL.. you will only hurt yourself doing abackflip is you wuss out

The main thing is the fear, get over that and your fine. Try learning a backflip first, or BHS to get the feel of going backwards. With the backflip, jump up at your maximum height rotate, tuck hard bringing you knees to your chest and untuck.

If you want good help, use tricksturorials.com/forum

Its a great tricking place, alternatively go to a gymnastics centre, but seriously, I did mine on my first try, just don't be scared. Any you probaly won't get parylized..

Get a friend to spot you on your first few tries, so if you stuff up he can help you rotate around without smashing yourself.

yay my first post:)
RxCore
QUOTE(AlphaMoth @ Jan 31 2007, 9:26 PM) *
LOL.. you will only hurt yourself doing abackflip is you wuss out

The main thing is the fear, get over that and your fine. Try learning a backflip first, or BHS to get the feel of going backwards. With the backflip, jump up at your maximum height rotate, tuck hard bringing you knees to your chest and untuck.

If you want good help, use tricksturorials.com/forum

Its a great tricking place, alternatively go to a gymnastics centre, but seriously, I did mine on my first try, just don't be scared. Any you probaly won't get parylized..

Get a friend to spot you on your first few tries, so if you stuff up he can help you rotate around without smashing yourself.

yay my first post:)

the fear thing is definitely true. when you get scared is when you get hurt.
as far as the friends spotting you, you should be able to get back onto your hands by yourself, but your friends should help getting your hips and legs over.

once you get your hips over, it's cake.
ohhmann_samantha
i taught my self how to do it on the trampline
i havent tried on the ground yet
but yeah dont try it by youself
go to the gym.
suddenly she
Odd how most people on here are all, "don't do it yourself."

My older brother just told me one day that he was going to learn how to do a backflip and he did it that same day... in the living room, too.
Gypsy Eyes
He was lucky, there have been hundreds of incidents of broken necks.
suddenly she
That's true, but personally I think a lot of it has to do with wushu training.

You do have to build up some sort of air to do aerials, butterfly kicks and twists if you really want to go for performance team at my kung fu school... but never a backflip.
sykosrfr
you should just take tumbling classes
ayrtonious
It is possible buy a trampoline try handsprings on there
then use Cushions/Mats Then try it grass i learnt them yesterday that exact way i had a friend to do flips with me but they didnt support me in anyway physically
pandora
NEVER ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL.

jesus, kids.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.