Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dancing
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Sports
chinke3xcuti3
Okay, well..some of you might have already read my topic on dancing in the relationships forum..and some of you might have not yet.

Well, either way..what I'm wondering is...I plan to somewhat major in dancing...but I'm more of a street dancer, and I learn most of my moves off of my friends because I can't take dance classes (as in..be professionally trained in dancing)...

Well...as a dancer, you have to have really good memory..for example, for try outs and stuff, you only get to see a dance ONCE, and right after that, you have to NAIL it....but i can't do that...so...is there some way for me to like..idk...learn how to master a dance by watching it only once (or any tips or something)? i understand it's something that is suppose to grow on you..but idk...>.< ehh. I know that was kind of hard to understand, and you guys are probably like, "wtfff"....but..do you think you can help?

sorry for all the trouble. pinch.gif
OhMyAnniee
well for me, it depends what type of dance i'm doing.
like if it's more like ballet or jazz, i count to the music and i pay attention to lyrics.
if i'm doing hiphop, i pay attention to the beat of the music because those are counts that you need to like hit it on.

but if you want to learn a dance by watching it once, you have to remember the key movements that are like the "wow" moments.
Gypsy Eyes
Hate to break it to you but you won't be able to major in dance without some sort of extensive dance background, no college will let you into their program. You can't major or minor in dance without take a set of core dance classes, usually ballet and jazz with other things, depending on the school - even if you want to do hip hop. You would do that as a focus/concentration. You have to be able to do them all and have formal training in all of them. Acceptance rate is low, and it's very very competitive.

Tips would be to know most of the steps in advance, so it's nothing new to you. If you know the steps already it's not a big shock and you can add some style to it. If you look at the girls who get the gig, they always add their own flavor to it. (sorry kind of a rant)

As I said before, the only way to do this is to take classes. There really is no other way.

Unless you are talking about being a music video hoe, that is a whole other story.
think!IMAGINARILY
Maybe some high schools in your area have dance?

Mine has dance as a class and it's really painful pinch.gif
chinke3xcuti3
QUOTE(Gypsy Eyes @ Sep 7 2006, 4:19 PM) *
Hate to break it to you but you won't be able to major in dance without some sort of extensive dance background, no college will let you into their program. You can't major or minor in dance without take a set of core dance classes, usually ballet and jazz with other things, depending on the school - even if you want to do hip hop. You would do that as a focus/concentration. You have to be able to do them all and have formal training in all of them. Acceptance rate is low, and it's very very competitive.

Tips would be to know most of the steps in advance, so it's nothing new to you. If you know the steps already it's not a big shock and you can add some style to it. If you look at the girls who get the gig, they always add their own flavor to it. (sorry kind of a rant)

As I said before, the only way to do this is to take classes. There really is no other way.

Unless you are talking about being a music video hoe, that is a whole other story.

^oh...okay. thankyou.

and no, i'm not talking about being a music video hoe.
Gypsy Eyes
Would you rather have heard "oh watch some video's and you'll get it?" That would never happen. The dance world is intense, a lot of people don't realize that.
lilvietdevilgrl
For me I just got use to memorizing quickly...just practice...I'm on the dance team at my high school and everytime I'm taught something new, I keep practicing it until I get it...it helps to know the counts really well, learn where everything goes, pay extremely close attention to every little thing the people who are teaching do.

I use to not be so good at memorizing the dances,but it just takes practice, then more times you learn something new the easier it is to memorize dances.
stephinika
I completely agree with Jackie, as she does tell the truth. You've got to take or have SOME form of training to look into a career like that. It takes a long time to get to that level too.
chinke3xcuti3
So it's like..impossible to get recognized into the dancing industry if you have never had any sort of professional dancing experience?
mznikki
QUOTE(chinke3xcuti3 @ Oct 4 2006, 9:20 PM) *
So it's like..impossible to get recognized into the dancing industry if you have never had any sort of professional dancing experience?

unfortunately pretty much ...its very very very very slim chance that'll happen without experience or professonal training. pretty much what jackie said. sorry =/ its like acting its a tough competitive industry and everyone wants in. some people i know are in dance troops that compete around the state but they aren't big and they all have had professonal training at some point in their lives.
OhMyAnniee
I think the only way to make it without any prior training is to tryout for a show like So You Think You Can Dance. But you'd probably have to be a really good street-type dancer to make it in the Top 20 to be on the show.
O.S.M
Bboyin will get u big if u wanna go big in it...i personally do it for the love but if i blow up i blow up...soo...yea...
katieee110290
I also agree that to major in dance in college one needs formal training, but you never know....if you are just that good and depending on what school..you might be able to swing it.

in regards to quick pick up... it's a skill that dancers usually acquire after many years of practicing.

good luck :]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.