Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: under $3000
Forums > Community Center > Technology
initial-seven
The computer that I have right now iz really slow, and I asked my mom to get me a new one....she said ok but it has to be less then $3000.

I was wondering if anyone knew what computer I could get for less than $3000

(btw, I'm a gamer and Im lookin for the fastest computer i could possibly get)
kraziegrl
hhhmm.. my computer was.. around 2000$ without the screen, but someone made it for me. its fast, but sometimes it doesnt work becaause the cable is screwed up. mad.gif
Luster Soldier
Haha, you really don't need to get a really expensive pc for it to work well. I have a $1000 Sony Vaio, and it's really fast and awesome.
casssy
lol, 3000$ is alot of money.. my brother built my pc for around 600.. and its fast.. and im a gamer tongue.gif _unsure.gif
initial-seven
QUOTE(liquidbluac1d @ May 15 2004, 10:22 PM)
lol, 3000$ is alot of money.. my brother built my pc for around 600.. and its fast.. and im a gamer tongue.gif _unsure.gif

not really.......I went to dell.com and did one of those "make your own PC" and it totalled to $5853, I also went to alienware.com and found that they also had a PC for about the same price.....

I dun really think $3000 iz a lot for a "good" computer sad.gif
hybrid
lol either that or just by a new tower. happy.gif
Note
ya'll have wimpy comps. mine i bought for 5 grand. this comp comes with hela sh#et! anyway like a year ago i really wanted a alienware. had that tight mouse on it!

::jerry::
triipinfserious
dude get an ALIENWARE those are the absolute BEST gaming computers without a doubt ... `nd most should be under 3g`s
twayblade
if you want a $3000 gaming comp get alienware! They are the best gameing computers laugh.gif
WildGriffin
Get a decent sony vaio ($1000-$1500) and a ATI Redeon 9800 Pro graphics card for $200- 300ish. You'll be set.

Alienware is over priced crap that's cutting edge for like 4 months.
veryberri
think going to www.dell.com would help? =p
DrNick311
Alienware is NOT the best gaming PC.

Take a look at Falcon or ABS computers.

And whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM DELL.
waccoon
dell, erk. dont make me hurl.
my choice is the Fragbox by Falcon. I used to have it. It's awesome. it's just as fast as a full sized computer, but this one is tiny, and a good choice if you move around a lot but still want to bring cs with you. you can get the fragbox pro for around 1500 with BFG Asylum nVidia GeForceFX 5950 Ultra 256MB - awesome. 2.80GHz 800MHz, 120 GB. this one has my vote.
kryogenix
my choice is a home built system. i think with $3000, you can make a dual proc system.
dukesoccer07
Holy shit... if you just buy the parts and put it together yourself you could get THE BEST stuff for around $1500... then tell your parents they owe you the other $1500 for making it biggrin.gif
CEP
QUOTE(dukesoccer07 @ May 16 2004, 7:30 AM)
Holy shit... if you just buy the parts and put it together yourself you could get THE BEST stuff for around $1500... then tell your parents they owe you the other $1500 for making it biggrin.gif

Or just take the $3000 and build it yourself. And keep the remaining money for yourself.
I mean, look how many shoes you can buy with $1500.

- Chinkieyeedpnoi
dukesoccer07
That is very true... man if my parents told me to that I'd have a blast... I would seriously be really cheap and keep all the money
initial-seven
QUOTE(waccoon @ May 16 2004, 9:03 AM)
dell, erk. dont make me hurl.
my choice is the Fragbox by Falcon. I used to have it. It's awesome. it's just as fast as a full sized computer, but this one is tiny, and a good choice if you move around a lot but still want to bring cs with you. you can get the fragbox pro for around 1500 with BFG Asylum nVidia GeForceFX 5950 Ultra 256MB - awesome. 2.80GHz 800MHz, 120 GB. this one has my vote.

I was lookin for a comp with at least 3.0 gHz w/ or w/o HT, at least 1 gig memory, and a minumun of 120 gig hardrive, and definately a ATI radeon 9800..

I think 2.8 gHz is a bit too slow, the computer i have right now is a song vaio with a 2.6 P4 proccessor with HT, a 80 gig hardrive, a nVidia GeForce4 Mx440, a 512 mb memory.....

Also I need a big@$$ LCD flat pannel, I just hav a 18.5 inch SONY flat panel right now.....

God.....I hav slow and crappy stuff.... _unsure.gif
kryogenix
QUOTE(azn_PIMP @ May 16 2004, 12:26 PM)
I was lookin for a comp with at least 3.0 gHz w/ or w/o HT, at least 1 gig memory, and a minumun of 120 gig hardrive, and definately a ATI radeon 9800..

I think 2.8 gHz is a bit too slow, the computer i have right now is a song vaio with a 2.6 P4 proccessor with HT, a 80 gig hardrive, a nVidia GeForce4 Mx440, a 512 mb memory.....

Also I need a big@$$ LCD flat pannel, I just hav a 18.5 inch SONY flat panel right now.....

uh, your system is not that bad...

if you want a big screen, buy a plasma tv and use the tv out on the radeon 9800 to use it with your computer.
Just_Dream
actually, well, did you PICK ALL The nightest components for dell or alienware? Because if you lower down a few of the things, like a smaller hardd drive or maybe like no dvd_rw or something, it will probably go down. as long as you have the 500 dollar radeon graphic card, then it's all good and a really good speed and stuff. of COURSE it would be 6 k if you chose ALL the best of the best. I mean, some guy on mtv had some sony viao (so rpetty!) that was around 5000+ dollars and it was a laptop and had alot of good stuff... Did you want a laptop or a desktop? desktops are cheaper, of course...
Note
QUOTE(veryberri @ May 16 2004, 1:31 AM)
think going to www.dell.com would help? =p

easy as dell! tongue.gif

::jerry::
hybrid
Joe, why should we stay away from Dell? What'd they do?
shawty_redd
QUOTE(chinkieeyedpnoi @ May 16 2004, 9:24 AM)
I mean, look how many shoes you can buy with $1500.

- Chinkieyeedpnoi

laugh.gif always thinking about the shoes jose
177emories
i suggest you built your own tower!!! and get some nice 19" LCD screen and so on... but getting ur own stuff would be the best idea...
likeachild
QUOTE(azn_PIMP @ May 16 2004, 12:26 PM)

a LCD flat panel will make the price shoot up a lot
because you have to get one with 16ms or less refresh rate
and since you are a gamer you don't want ghosting
therefore you need a good LCD
i suggest you spend all $3000 on a really good computer
then it will be while before you have to upgrade and then you can buy a better LCD too
LatinaLady
sams club has really cheap prices. and the computers are cool.
KEVINishtehPACO
Here: Customized Dell All this for 3,029. I customized it and it's realleh nice. Add it to your cart and look at the detailed view. biggrin.gif
initial-seven
QUOTE(KEVINishtehPACO @ May 22 2004, 1:50 PM)
Here: Customized Dell All this for 3,029. I customized it and it's realleh nice. Add it to your cart and look at the detailed view. biggrin.gif

itz not bad.......but i dink itz w/o da fatass LCD
KEVINishtehPACO
Okay fine, I found this other gaming computer, like it?

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=2

this is actually under 3000$
uLoVeMikeRoch
jesus people u dont know nething

If u want a good comp, get a dell (yes dell) but the new gaming dell xps or whatever , fragbox, alienware,voodoo, or a falcon northeast or west i dont know,
but if ur gonna customize it
Get these parts

Radeon 9800 (or the new x800 platium radeon which is alienware exclusive cuz it didnt even come out)
3.60 p4
3gig ram
dvd-rw
usb 2.0
windows xp profeccional (i cannot spell for liffe)
ethernet
power cord (lol)
120gigs but if u can i heard there was a 512 gig hard drive u should get that
and i dont know about sound cards that much jut get the new creative one though
and that should be ur basic pakage
mechwarrior1989
QUOTE(uLoVeMikeRoch @ May 31 2004, 1:12 PM)
jesus people u dont know nething

If u want a good comp, get a dell (yes dell) but the new gaming dell xps or whatever , fragbox, alienware,voodoo, or a falcon northeast or west i dont know,
but if ur gonna customize it
Get these parts

Radeon 9800 (or the new x800 platium radeon which is alienware exclusive cuz it didnt even come out)
3.60 p4
3gig ram
dvd-rw
usb 2.0
windows xp profeccional (i cannot spell for liffe)
ethernet
power cord (lol)
120gigs but if u can i heard there was a 512 gig hard drive u should get that
and i dont know about sound cards that much jut get the new creative one though
and  that should be ur basic pakage

And are you retarded? He said under $3,000. Plus there is no such thing as a 3.6ghz P4 unless you overclock.

Just build your own computer, you'll save so much money that way, plus it is much easier to customize. Only problem is you need to get your own OS.

Just somethings you might want to think about:
-Dual-layered DVD+-RW drives are overpriced, if you really want one, wait till prices come down.
-Dell 20" LCD is currently rated as the Top LCD by Computer Gaming World, wait for special promotions though so you can get a better price.
-If you're paying more than $0.50 a gig for a harddrive, you're getting ripped off. Consider this I recently got a 160gb WD harddrive for $33 after tax and rebates.
-You need a minimum of 256 mb ram. For gaming at least 1 gb.
-A good PSU (power supply unit) is one of the most important things you can get your computer, a bad one could fry all your parts.
-Audigy are good sound cares, but some people don't really care for sound that much, but make sure you have a 5.1 surround or higher card and get 5.1 surround sound speakers.
-A good mother board is something you definatly need.
-Before buying parts, make sure they are all compatible with one another. Don't go buying an ATX board for a case that can only accept Micro-ATX
-You might want to go AMD just because they're cheaper, $799 for an AMD 64 fx-53. But if you're gonna go Intel, make sure you get a new chip with the 1mb L2 cache or the Extreme Edition. But these are mostly for gaming.

I'll probably think of something later and edit again.

Good site for buy parts: www.newegg.com
IcyStorm
Either custom build your comp, or go to alienware.com and customize it there, even though it might be a bit expensive.

You can easily get this for
Aurora Enthusiast
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS) - Saucer Silver
Power Supply: No Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ Processor with HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard: ASUS SE K8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Motherboard
Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ X800 PRO 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and TV Out
Video Cooling: AlienIce™ Video Cooling System - Astral Blue
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 160GB Seagate Barracuda® 7,200 RPM
Optical Drive One: Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-712A 12x DVD±R/W Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround
Network Connection: High Speed Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Display One: NEC 17" LCD1760NX MultiSync LCD - Black
Speakers: Logitech® Z-640 5.1 70-Watt Speakers
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard - Conspiracy Blue
Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - USB - Conspiracy Blue
Gamespot Complete: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black
Automated Support: AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System

only $3,056 (ok, a little over, but you can manage)

You don't have to buy a keyboard and mouse if you use your old one, and if you don't need a DVD+R/W, then you can change that. Or just configure it to whatever you want. So, you can get a good comp (not really GREAT, but very good) for even lower because you really don't need all that hardware above.

So for only $2564 + tax and shipping, you can also get:

[1] Aurora™

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS) - Saucer Silver
Power Supply: No Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ Processor with HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard: ASUS SE K8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Motherboard
Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce™ FX 5900 XT 128MB DDR w/Digital and S-Video Out
Video Cooling: AlienIce™ Video Cooling System - Astral Blue
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 120GB Seagate Barracuda® 7,200 RPM
Optical Drive One: Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Optical Drive Two: Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround
Network Connection: High Speed Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Display One: NEC 17" LCD1760NX MultiSync LCD - Black
Speakers: Logitech® Z-640 5.1 70-Watt Speakers
Gamespot Complete: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black
Automated Support: AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System

Whatever you do however, DO NOT GET A HP, COMPAQ, OR DELL (even the XPS or 8300, just don't). If it's $3000, dude, that's a LOT. So just stick with Voodoo, Falcon, or Alienware. Cyberpower and iBuyPower is pretty cheap too. Or custom build it... that's the cheapest way usually.

Just get at LEAST

A 3Ghz+ Intel Pentium 4 OR AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor
AT LEAST 512 MB DDR Memory
120 GB of Memory (you don't really need it unless you store games, movies, or *AHEM* certain types of content)
At least an ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card or nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra or better
And try to overclock them if you know how :)
mai_z
ionno if ur talking cnd or american, but either way, i'd say for the cheapest and best comp, build one urself, u can build it exactly the way u want it, and u don't need 2 pay for thestuff u don't need...also u can mix and match brands and stuff.

o and i'm goin wit IcyStorm here, if ur gonna buy, go with the alienware, they have pretty nice stuff. ... and as a gamer.. if u don't kno how already, overclock!!
angel-roh
less than $3000? wow that`z damn expensive lols newais hmm.. im not reallie good at naming brands of computer, but ben (v@por) and jae (aznhybriddragon)<---they're pretty good^^
koreansaga510
I think u should get an alienware that i think is the best or u can get a SONY
JlIaTMK
actually my comps a dell and its pretty good.... i got it for 700 dollars
corizzle20
[/QUOTE]I also went to alienware.com and found that they also had a PC for about the same price.....[QUOTE]

those are the worst looking ones ever and they arent even that good. too expensive too.
aznwu89
dont get a dell, i mean yea they are ok...but if u looked carefully they stack a good proccesor and a good video card and ram but they dun put in the small stuff, they dont mention a lot of stuff a company that actually *makes the computers put in

ABS has sum of the best computers for real cheap...well cheap as for ur $3000 condition | http://www.buyabs.com/ |

http://www.abspc.com/app/config.asp?mono=1706&view=2;

this comp is one of the top of the line home gaming centers u can get

Athlon 64 FX-53-BEST OF THE BEST [other then if u go into workstations]

GeForce FX-5950-Current the only nvidia card that is slightly faster then the Radeon 9800 XT

1GB of Cosair [one of the best n reliable RAM companies] 400 Mhz Pc-3200 DDR

Sound blaster audigy-as good as u can get

80 GB western digital hardrive 8MB cache pretty good

nice keyboard mouse speakers moniter

$2600

its a trusted sites lots of reviews n stuff so its guarnteded ur get it

trust me this is a whole shit load better then alienware, voodoo, or all those other companies that overprice stuff by like $2000 for extended warranty or sum lil case dremel
heyo-captain-jack
lol@ all you f*gs suggesting Alienware.
Maccabee
for 3k i could build a super computer.
none345678
No bumping old topics unless they pertain to my interest god dammit.
mipadi
If you're going to bump a five-year-old topic, at least say something more exciting than "Alienware sucks".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.