QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Sep 10 2009, 12:20 PM)
so does anyone make their own salsa or know of a really good recipe for some? because i been wanting to make my own for a while now.
p.s. i don't like it to be really hot
p.s. again, has anyone made their own tortilla chips?
I love salsa. I prefer medium-hot but make both medium-hot and insane-hot batches, since my boyfriend loves spicy salsa.
Do you like pico style or restaurant style? Restaurant styles tends to be more saucy. I like both, but prefer restaurant style (which can easily be done by adding tomato sauce and blending).
I don't use a recipe, since I throw together salsa from ingredients on hand. I did find a recipe that is pretty close to what I do though.
* 8 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
* 2 cups tomato juice
* 1/3 cup sweet onion, very finely diced
* 3 green onions, sliced thin
* 1 garlic clove, minced very fine or run through a press
* 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
* 1-2 teaspoon salt, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 limes, juice of, to taste (or more)
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pinch sugar
1. Mix all ingredients in large nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. Taste, and readjust seasoning if needed.
I don't use sugar or red wine vinegar. I blend the ingredients then simmer for a while so it's saucy and not just chunky.
Chips are easy. Cut corn tortillas into triangles and fry them in oil (put salt on the chips while they are hot).