-Header by Aurora93
Think Linux from Scratch, facepunch style.
I've been working on a basic root filesystem for the past few days, kernel, GCC, binutils ect. Up until now it's been nothing more than an educational project. If i can get enough support, and a few people on board, who would be up for creating our own distro?
Yes, it's a big project - but Neowin did it with only a couple of people to start with.
Who's up for it?
For people who would like to get involved, I need you to also PM me, give me a few details. I need to know who has what skills, and how we can all help eachother. Brotherly love...
Don't worry if you're not a seasoned programmer, or have never compilled glibc. Maybe you're an artist? Or even if youre willing to do a bit of testing, we need you.
IRC is up @ irc://irc.freenode.net/fplinux
Joining IRC - curtosy of VladH - http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=14...p;postcount=145
[highlight]Tools you will need[/highlight]
You NEED to know how to use these tools.
- VMware Player / Workstation
- GCC suite
- Your brain. Seriously. There's going to be things that require thinking outside the box to solve.
- Our buildroot. This is a stripped gentoo system, that can be used to compile the real distro. It's a Vmware image, for workstation 6.5, or player 2.0.
Root password: oify
DONT DOWNLOAD THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO COMPILE THE BASE SYSTEM
- Mirror 1: Cosmic Duck: http://fplinux.facepunch.info/mirror/gento...root-020509.rar
- Mirror 2: TehDoomCat: http://fplinux.slashingedge.co.uk/gentoo-b...root-020509.rar
- Mirror 3: Tu154: http://fpv-community.de/fplinux/gentoo-buildroot-020509.rar
- Mirror 4: Denzo: These are FTP mirrors - set your client to active mode:
ftp://188.8.131.52/gentoo-buildroot-020509.rar - Username: fplinux Password: f*ckingincredible
ftp://hmoe.denzor.org/gentoo-buildroot-020509.rar - Username: fplinux Password: f*ckingincredible
Some recommended reading for you:
- Linux From Scratch - http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/
- Every single man page you can find. Gather as much knowledge as you can!
Can everyone on the teams please be active in IRC. I havn't heard from half of you guys since joining.
All of the development rolls have been filled. If you have a real specialty, feel free to contact me.
EVERYONE can contribute to this project, even if you're not on the dev teams. Your ideas and suggestions are more than welcome!
I personally want to keep development as open as possible, to allow people to learn from what we are doing.
birkett - Team leader.
Chandler - Python programmer.
Eax - C / C++ / General knowledge
Chryseus - C++ / GTK / SDL / Assembly
henrikb4 - Python
|BIG$MONEY$BALLER| - GUI general knowledge
Web Team (Full)
Cosmic Duck - Main hosting
Denzo - Joint team leader - Mirror
VladH - Joint team leader - PHP dev
TehDoomCat - Mirror (Provisional)
Extrems - Build machines
Art and Media Team (Full)
Tu154M - Art team leader - Mirror (Provisional)
Massive project some people I know are working on. Lead developer has been saying he's going to release an i386 ISO for the past few weeks, but it hasn't happened yet. I'd like to see this done, because it's a fucking incredible idea.