Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright seriously...
Forums > News and Announcements > Feedback > Feedback Resolved Topics
illriginal
Can you guys... for the love of God, please, seriously, just... please remove the damn search limitation off my account cry.gif

It's like... a form of torment. E-Torment via search limitations on a forum board verymad.gif
fire
Flood control? OM takes it away.
brooklyneast05
do you mean how it has to be 4 letters or longer? because that f*cking annoys me too. what if i wanna search for god? or better yet what if i wanna search for JC. it won't let me.
tokyo-rose
Are you talking about the search flood control or the character thing? You'll be exempt from the former once you're an OM again.
brooklyneast05
don't believe them, you might not be exempt. i've been in basically every member group on cb besides admin and i've ALWAYS had flood control. i just got it right before i came to this topic.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 23 2009, 07:27 PM) *
don't believe them, you might not be exempt. i've been in basically every member group on cb besides admin and i've ALWAYS had flood control. i just got it right before i came to this topic.

Are you saying I'm lying :( That's really weird; bring it up with Dee or someone!
illriginal
I'm not tryin to offend anyone, but the search feature, seriously, is primitive (man I've been using this word a lot lately). Unless of course this is based on specific accounts, then please... I'll do anything to remove the damn limitations. 30 seconds waitin just to hit "View New Posts" is just... insanity! And just like Jc said, 3 characters gives you an error!?!

::dies::
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(interpretation @ Apr 23 2009, 06:29 PM) *
Are you saying I'm lying :( That's really weird; bring it up with Dee or someone!

lol no, i'm not saying you're lying homie. i've mentioned it numerous times but nothing has ever changed. i just figured i was stuck this way shrug.gif i think when i was a regular member it was 30 seconds, and now it's 15 seconds.

and yeah there's a ton of words that are 3 letters long.
mipadi
The issue has been brought up many, many times before, and Jusun has stated each time that he has no intention of removing the limit.
brooklyneast05
i really don't get why...what is the difference between it being 4 letters and 3? i duno that much about searches but it doesn't seem like it'd be a huge deal.
Gigi
Yeah the 4 letters minimum has pissed me off ever since I've been here. But I don't have flood control anymore.
mipadi
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 23 2009, 07:33 PM) *
i really don't get why...what is the difference between it being 4 letters and 3?

Allegedly it has something to do with database load. I don't buy that excuse, but, mathematically speaking, an increase in size of a search string from 3 to 4 characters does greatly reduce the amount of searching that needs to be done.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(illmortal @ Apr 23 2009, 07:29 PM) *
I'm not tryin to offend anyone, but the search feature, seriously, is primitive (man I've been using this word a lot lately). Unless of course this is based on specific accounts, then please... I'll do anything to remove the damn limitations. 30 seconds waitin just to hit "View New Posts" is just... insanity! And just like Jc said, 3 characters gives you an error!?!

::dies::

The three-character minimum for searching has always been in place. I think that all regular members have flood control, but Official Members shouldn't. Just work your way back up to OM-ship.

@JC: CB discriminates against seasonal0.gif's. D: You should be angry.
superstitious
Someone posted something about this in the thread linked above, but searching within cB via google works pretty well.

click to enlarge

Granted, it would be nice to be able to do this in-forum, but as a quick fix, it's something.

Joanne
I haven't had the flood control thing since I became a staff member (before I became an OM har har har).

But yeah, the 4-character search thing is such a load of crap.
karmakiller
I've never been OM shifty.gif but I haven't had to deal with Flood Control since I was a Member. There isn't anything I can do about the four letter search limit, but I think it should be changed, too. (I mean, if you read the rules posted above Debate it even says not to post multiple topics about god, but you can't even search for god.)
rnicron
actually, i think it can be changed in the admincp.

also, i'm jusun and i say change it.
superstitious
I say bring back the arcade first. boxing.gif
brooklyneast05
our list of stuff that needs to be done is really long
rnicron
someone just do it
karmakiller
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 23 2009, 07:27 PM) *
our list of stuff that needs to be done is really long
I still think he should give Admins more power. No one is going to Suzz out on him.
rnicron
just have michael search the admincp. i really think it's there.
superstitious
hi,

the reason why theres a 4 character limit is because its the default (and most effective) setting for mysql fulltext's search. mysql is the database engine behind this site. lowering this value will increase the storage space requirements dramatically, while not necessarily guaranteeing an increase in effectiveness.

i dont know why anyone would search for common three letter words like "are", "and", "you" and "the" as it will return most if not all of the topics ever made here.

and you can search part of a keyword (including names) by using the asterisk (*).

im going to close this topic but if you have any further questions / suggestions regarding this feel free to pm me.

http://www.createblog.com/forums/index.php...t&p=2497550

Yeah, it may be in there, but it's root admin only. Admins can't do anything about it. I saw Michael in the admincp a long time ago. If he found anything, I'm sure he'll let everyone know.
mipadi
QUOTE(superstitious @ Apr 23 2009, 08:58 PM) *
Yeah, it may be in there, but it's root admin only. Admins can't do anything about it. I saw Michael in the admincp a long time ago. If he found anything, I'm sure he'll let everyone know.

Yes, it is. Otherwise, I would've changed it already.
fixtatik
i think reducing the minimum character requirement (or at least making search more effective) could potentially reduce storage space, rather than add more load. if it where more effective, the resource forums wouldn't have 80 topics of the exact question. one day you answer a question about centering a layout, the next day there are five more because the poster didn't know how to use the search feature. "div" is a three letter word, so no one can search for that, yet all of these topics are "omg help me center my div lyt!"

that, and the only way to get a worthwhile result is to use the advanced search. if someone searches for "center layout" using the regular search, it returns just about every topic.
karmakiller
A lot of people don't even know where the Advanced Search feature is so maybe if it was more accessible people would use it more often and have less complaints about searching for things. I know Jusun says that allowing three letter words cause server problems, but if it automatically limits the search to the last 12 months or something wouldn't that help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.