Mar 12 2009, 12:37 PM
I find it easier to type everything that's on lecture and record everything that the professor's talking about. I think that when I try to do both simultaneously, trying to listen to the professor and keep track of what's going on during the lecture I don't do as well.
Mar 12 2009, 12:48 PM
i have a teacher who made copies of the entire semesters worth of notes, had them printed, and sold at the bookstore for people to buy. (for 12 bucks or so) they are about 80% complete, so you have to come to class to get the other 20%. i think that is a really effective way of doing it, because it allows people to listen more than take notes, but 20% being missing still keeps most people coming to class since lots of the missing info ends up being on the tests.
i got hearing problems and struggled for a long time trying to take notes in class. i finally got a note taker assigned to me and she takes all the notes and it allows me to sit and listen to the lecture with way less stress. my grades have improved quite a bit because of not having to simultaneously do as much.
i don't know how anyone can keep up with the lecture and take notes simultaneously.
Mar 12 2009, 12:52 PM
Some of my classmates try and take notes and follow along, I have a higher avg test grade than them. I've told them to do one or the other, not both. But they don't listen.
I took notes for a physically disabled person last semester.
Mar 12 2009, 12:58 PM
^ I wanted to do that for my microeconomics class this semester, but I was too late in handing in my application.
$100 go bye bye.
Three out of four of my professors this semester make the lecture slides available online for their students. I usually only print out the slides for one of my classes and take notes on the side, and I just take notes for the others.
I wish I had the option of typing out notes in lecture, but I've got no laptop.
Mar 12 2009, 01:06 PM
damn 100 bucks. i think they only pay mine 50 dollars or something. they should pay these people more though imo cause it's unbelievably helpful to people like me.
Mar 12 2009, 03:36 PM
Note takers at my school make $50, but if they miss a class the professor can tell on them and they won't make any money.
For me, it depends on the class. Most classes it's beneficial to me if I take my own notes. I tend to zone out during lectures, so if I had the printed notes already and just had to sit there and listen it would be hard for me. My English professor posts notes online after the class, so if you miss anything you can go online (or if you miss the class you can go online, too.)
Mar 12 2009, 03:43 PM
I didn't get paid, just community service hours.
Mar 12 2009, 10:27 PM
I only take notes in class if they're structured lectures (like math, where he actually writes out every single word we're supposed to know), or if notes are provided to me, like for accounting. I just have to fill in the blanks or do the problems.
Other than that, my profs make their lectures slides available online and when it comes time to study for my exams, I almost never read the notes I write in class, so I don't even bother.
Mar 12 2009, 10:29 PM
I'll never forget, my freshman psych professor felt the need to have us buy his lecture notes, not like other professors that will just upload them online. And it was $33 for his 2 cent slides. >_>
Mar 14 2009, 01:56 AM
Wow. I wish my community college had buying notes as an option. But I take notes for every class, especially math. My math notes are the only ones I review extensively.
Mar 15 2009, 04:12 AM
I never really take notes.
I just draw pictures and by some act of god i understand it all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here