Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rosary
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Fashion
Medi
Over the past 6 months it's grown to be a popular accessory. I don't understand how some people can take something sacred and turn it into this..
illriginal
They're running out of ideas. I've rocked my Dhikr beads for 3 years now cool.gif
Medi
QUOTE(illmortal @ Mar 12 2009, 10:50 AM) *
They're running out of ideas. I've rocked my Dhikr beads for 3 years now cool.gif

Hopefully not in a chauvinistic way.
gojira
click to enlarge
illriginal
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Hopefully not in a chauvinistic way.

Nah... it is a reminder to always have God in mind at all times. wink.gif
Medi
I know that I always have God, I don't need to wear anything to remind me of that.
illriginal
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 12:59 PM) *
I know that I always have God, I don't need to wear anything to remind me of that.

You sure about that? It's actually helps me a lot from sinning and even having sinful thoughts cool.gif
Maccabee
QUOTE(illmortal @ Mar 12 2009, 12:01 PM) *
You sure about that? It's actually helps me a lot from sinning and even having sinful thoughts cool.gif

I thought you were muslim?
medi are you christian?
Medi
I am muslim.

@illmortal: yes. I'm sure of that.
Maccabee
O. Im a christian.
Medi
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 11:04 AM) *
O. Im a christian.

So you probably wear a cross. For Jesus. But the rosary being worn as a fashion accessory, is worn by a lot of non-believers. It's just weird to see.
illriginal
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 01:02 PM) *
I thought you were muslim?
medi are you christian?

What do you mean?... Yes I'm Muslim... blink.gif
illriginal
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 01:04 PM) *
I am muslim.

As-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu
Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem
Allahuma Salli 'ala Muhammad wa 'ala aalihi wa sahbihi ajma'een wa sallim
Maccabee
I dont wear anything. I dont even know what a rosary is.
Im also jewish. I have some jewish stars but I dont wear them. Or a yummica. I dont even know how its spelled.
illriginal
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Im also jewish. I have some jewish stars but I dont wear them. Or a yummica. I dont even know how its spelled.

So... you're a Jew for Christ? mellow.gif

Do you study/practice your religion? If not... then well you really shouldn't claim to be religious. No offense.
brooklyneast05
joseph probably got confused because when you say rosary, most people think of catholics...
Medi
QUOTE(illmortal @ Mar 12 2009, 11:10 AM) *
As-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu
Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem
Allahuma Salli 'ala Muhammad wa 'ala aalihi wa sahbihi ajma'een wa sallim

Wa Alaikum As-Salaam
hypnotique
QUOTE(illmortal @ Mar 12 2009, 12:01 PM) *

I actually agree with that.
I like to wear my roasarys that my mother has made for me because it keeps my language in check and and they are really beautiful pieces of art.

I highly dislike how its become a fashion statement because the rosary truly is a item that should be regarded with respect.
karmakiller
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 12:10 PM) *
You're Christian and Jewish? huh.gif

My mother has rosary beads, but she doesn't use them for religious purposes. She got them from her mother and aunt when they passed away... she keeps them for sentimental value, but never wears/uses them.

People wear necklaces with a cross on them... shrug.gif you can find those kinds of necklaces almost anywhere. Lots of people pray to the cross.
smash
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 11:59 AM) *

that's how i feel. i don't need to wear crosses and what not to have God with me. i do like them but i know it's not necessary. i'd like some rosary beads.
Tomates
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 01:06 PM) *
So you probably wear a cross. For Jesus. But the rosary being worn as a fashion accessory, is worn by a lot of non-believers. It's just weird to see.

catholics also wear the rosary.
Tomates
QUOTE(divergent @ Mar 12 2009, 05:12 PM) *
Not in the way in which the fashion foreword people do.

I spoke to my friend Diego about this a few weeks ago. I'm completely unreligious, I've worn a cross before, but as a fashion statement. haha. XD.gif

well yeah but someone above kinda made it sound like, or at least to me, that muslims only wear them
Medi
@ Tomates: It's not that it's not okay to wear it, if for the right purpose. Though, the fashion industry has made it okay to wear it, without any purpose is what makes me mad.

@ divergent: My point exactly. You shouldn't wear something sacred for fashion. Wear a hemp-necklace or something. ^_^
Tomates
QUOTE(Medi @ Mar 12 2009, 05:18 PM) *
@ Tomates: It's not that it's not okay to wear it, if for the right purpose. Though, the fashion industry has made it okay to wear it, without any purpose is what makes me mad.

lol no no i know. I was just saying that catholics wear them also for the religious reason too.
illriginal
QUOTE(Tomates @ Mar 12 2009, 05:15 PM) *
well yeah but someone above kinda made it sound like, or at least to me, that muslims only wear them

lol if you're talking about me, I definitely didn't imply that. Even Jews have prayer beads _smile.gif
hi-C
WTF, people have been wearing cross necklaces as fashion accessories for years and years and years and years and years. What makes wearing a rosary for the same purpose any different?
illriginal
QUOTE(hi-C @ Mar 12 2009, 06:31 PM) *
WTF, people have been wearing cross necklaces as fashion accessories for years and years and years and years and years. What makes wearing a rosary for the same purpose any different?

Proving the stupidity of humans? I don't know.

People mock religion, God, the Messiah and Prophets. Then wear crosses as they commit sins on a daily basis and not even pray. Now they're gonna disgrace prayer beads.

Elect me for President, my scimitar is thirsty for blood.

jk tongue.gif
Maccabee
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Mar 12 2009, 03:44 PM) *
You're Christian and Jewish? huh.gif

Yes.
Whats a rosary?
smash
definition

AbbeyMarie
I have never seen people actually wear them on there neck. If it's an actual rosary, it is a little disrespectful to wear it as a "fashion statement" or whatever, but if it's just a cross I don't see the problem. Since, if they don't believe in god, the cross holds no real significance to them, so it's just another shape.
karmakiller
Culture... both the rosary and the cross are sacred to religion. We're just more used to seeing people wear the cross than the rosary.

QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 05:53 PM) *
Yes.
Whats a rosary?
That's interesting. I just asked because it'd be hard to be two religions that have such conflicting views, like whether or not Jesus was the messiah. You'd have to pick one or the other, and whichever one you picked you wouldn't be the other. shrug.gif
smash
messianic judaism?
hi-C
I know a few people who are both because one parent was Jewish and the other Christian. You know, Chrismukkah, and all that.
brooklyneast05
i think people should wear them when and however they want to. how are you going to look at someone and know if they are wearing it for the "right" reasons? judgmental much. maybe some people wear them for multiple reasons.
gojira
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 12 2009, 08:48 PM) *
i think people should wear them when and however they want to.
Medi
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 12 2009, 06:48 PM) *
i think people should wear them when and however they want to. how are you going to look at someone and know if they are wearing it for the "right" reasons? judgmental much. maybe some people wear them for multiple reasons.

I never said that I was looking at everyone wearing it and saying that they were wearing it for the wrong reason. The people that I know that are not catholic are wearing rosary beads because it's become fashionable, there's no good reason to wear rosary beads in a flashy way and have a sacred purpose in mind.
hi-C
I think you're contradicting yourself. Or at least the way you're expressing your views sounds like a contradiction.
Medi
QUOTE(hi-C @ Mar 12 2009, 07:25 PM) *
I think you're contradicting yourself. Or at least the way you're expressing your views sounds like a contradiction.

Sorry for that.
misoshiru
just because you're religious doesn't mean that everyone looks at religion the same way. Crosses themselves have been fashionable for years and years. Why is a rosary any different from wearing a cross? It's like people wearing the Irish Claddagh and not care for the meaning behind it. Or people wearing the Star of David for fashionable purposes. Now you don't see a regular Protestant Christian bitching about how designers use crosses do you? Well..maybe the fundamentalists do. who knows.
StubbornFemme
i have yet to seen it as a fashion accessory but then again knowing how people are these days..im not surprised.
missnh
what I find amusing about rosary is that you're not supposed to wear it around your neck. even though it is in the shape of a f*cking necklace. who the f*ck cares who wears it. it is just a piece of jewelry, don't idolize it. not just Jesus died on crosses. thieves, murderers, rapists, etc. so if you wear a cross are you paying respect to those people as well? pft.
-SoDifferent
Well, I have been wearing rosary beads(not too many!) for years now. Ever since I was little lol. I loved it. I love and believe in God so why not? I don't see a problem with me wearing them.
ley
I'm Catholic and i wear rosary's alot. To church mostly and i have a really exspenisive one i only wear on ash wednesday. Rosarys are meant to be used for praying and their are specific prayers meant for specific beads on the rosary. The ones used as accessories typically dont follow the general rules of how many beads are suppose to be on the rosary. I really wouln't call them rosarys at all they're just beaded necklaces with crosses on them. I don't find them offensive at all.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 12 2009, 07:48 PM) *

There really is no right reason for wearing them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.