2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Drugstore vs. High end makeup
angelrevelation
post Aug 12 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #1

You can't keep running from what you're trying to find.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 54,096

In your opinion, is it worth it to get high end makeup from department stores or other places like Sephora, or is the quality of drugstore makeup the same? It must depend on the brands, so which do you think are just as good? I don't want to waste money on makeup, but I don't want it to give me eye infections either.

transcendentalis...
post Aug 12 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #2

sleep now, moon

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 526,212

it depends on what you're buying.

mac is pretty much legendary for eyeshadow, but many milani shadows can do a very passable job. loreal shadows are also rated extremely high.

for concealers.. you have that one gold tube concealer? i think it's lancome or yves saint laurent. it's maybe $30, but the revlon under-eye concealer's been rated just as highly.

for brushes.. mac, again is legendary. but i'm perfectly fine with my costco brushes.

maybelline is decent in general...

i like my high-end stuff. smashbox = love.
however, although many drugstore brands can do a wonderful job, many of them test on animals and i'm not really into that.

i could write such a long post on this :/
splurge on brushes (unless you have a costco nearby... $20 for 12 brushes, case and cleaner). and check out the mac 187 brush too!

redpeony
post Aug 13 2007, 02:49 AM
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No: 17,767

I spend a lot on [undereye] concealer because Bobbi Brown goes beyond anything I have tried (and has rave reviews) and eyebags are a problem for me. I got a brush from Benefit because my first concealer was purchased there. I also like to splurge on lipcolour because I personally feel there is a difference.

However the rest of my make up comes from drugstores. The best pencil eyeliner I have tried so far is Annabelle and I am satisfied so I stick with it. I don't have a super thick lashes being asian and Maybelline Full n Soft has by far been my favourite mascara so far. I've tried Estee Lauder, Lancome, Benefit, Mac... and I always go back to Maybelline.

As revoltaire said above, completely depends on the product for me.

Rachel
post Aug 13 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #4

i've never wanted anything rationale.

Member No: 19,045

Most of my eyeshadows are from MAC, mainly because I love the colors. Foundation is Sephora, although I rarely use it. My mascara is Maybelline, the pink tube fabulous. My powder is Cover Girl, I've tried MAC and others but they feel too heavy. Oh and my eye liner is Wet & Wild, can't beat $0.99.

HakunaMatata
post Aug 13 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #5

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

I have things here and there from Sephora and MAC, but for the most part I deffffinitely vouch Drugstore makeup. While MAC is famous for their eyeshadow, I use Rimmel and honestly - it does the job. I've had my makeup done at MAC before, and I went home and tried it with Drugstore products and wa-lah, overall, the same quality. Admittedly, the MAC makeup had more *oomph*, but for the average day, I don't think there's too much need to spend too much cash on makeup.

P.S. Buuut, I can't vouch for either side about foundations or concealers, because I haven't tried it from either options.

Gigi
post Aug 13 2007, 06:10 AM
Post #6

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

Unless you buy makeup from some really obscure dollar store, you won't get eye infections (unless you're allergic, but in that case you would be allergic to even the expensive makeup).

I think the biggest difference when it comes to drugstore and department store makeup is pigment, especially for eyeshadows. If you take a similar shade from a drugstore and department store brand and apply some to the skin, the more expensive brand will have a more saturated, darker pigment. The reason for the price difference in most cases is the price for pigment (and packaging, etc).

*Michelle*
post Aug 13 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #7

It really depends on what you're using the make-up for. For me, I use a mixture for everyday make-up: Anna Sui, Revlon, Almay, NARS, Make-up Forever

But when I'm doing make-up as an artist for photography or whatever, high-end "designer" make-up just works so much better. The colors are brighter, the stuff is easier to blend and work with, and the brushes work wonders. I love NARS, Chanel, MAC, Givenchy, and some others. They're fantastic for make-up.

reeenana
post Aug 13 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #8

blah

Member No: 548,771

sweetest-emotion
post Aug 13 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Tasty.

Member No: 21,784

WHAT YOU PAY FOR IS WHAT YOU GET! buy cheap, you get cheap...
although, i must say maybelline's full and soft mascara has gotta be the BEST mascara i have ever used...so +1 for the drugstores, but +a million for department store brands. the eye shadow has staying power, better colors, vibrant ones, shimmer in unexpected ways, just overall fab stuff. plus chanel's double perfection compact (foundation/powder) is seriously the best foundation and powder product i've ever used. well worth the money.

Peanups
post Aug 13 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Look Up.

Member No: 73,230

depends... laugh.gif

oooohlala
post Aug 13 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #11

Member No: 560,822

QUOTE(jennypie @ Aug 13 2007, 03:49 AM) *
I don't have a super thick lashes being asian and Maybelline Full n Soft has by far been my favourite mascara so far. I've tried Estee Lauder, Lancome, Benefit, Mac... and I always go back to Maybelline.

i'll have to try that sometime.

i only wear mascara and a bit of eyeliner. i pay about $15 for clinique mascara and my eyeliner is not high end at all. actually, i don't think my eyeliner is a brand at all; i got it in china. i tried wet n wild mascara ($2?) and it was pretty bad.

1angel3
post Aug 13 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #12

Naomi loves you. Y'all may call me NaNa

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 427,774

I get my makeup at drugstores but I avoid dollar stores but their lip gloss make my lips itch.

monxcheri
post Aug 13 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #13

mon cheri amour x

Member No: 168,530

I never bought make-up from drugstores but I suppose they would be the same.

K0olkiid
post Aug 14 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #14

ich bin nich ich

Member No: 558,891

i think itz really different
i cant wear make-up from drugstore

misoshiru
post Aug 15 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #15

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

i love high-end makeup. a lot of cases, i just feel that drugstore makeup doesn't apply as well as high-end makeup does.

$$$ soul
post Aug 15 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #16

xkcd always

Member No: 521,059

QUOTE(HakunaMatata @ Aug 13 2007, 03:41 AM) *
I have things here and there from Sephora and MAC, but for the most part I deffffinitely vouch Drugstore makeup. While MAC is famous for their eyeshadow, I use Rimmel and honestly - it does the job. I've had my makeup done at MAC before, and I went home and tried it with Drugstore products and wa-lah, overall, the same quality.

Agreed, since I use Rimmel as well. Sephora makeup just lasts a tad longer and doesn't run as much.

heyyfrankie
post Aug 16 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #17

This bitch better work!

Member No: 28,095

My mom always gets her makeup from Dillards & Macy's. mellow.gif

arghrawr
post Aug 16 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #18

Communication breakdown.

Member No: 552,691

I rather drug store stuff. Cheaper, and if you buy the right stuff you basically get the same/better quality than some high end makeup stores.

kimmytree
post Aug 16 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #19

Kimberly

Member No: 121,599

I only buy high end pressed powder... because from what I've seen it's the only product that seems to be any better.

$$$ soul
post Aug 17 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #20

xkcd always

QUOTE(ventriloquist @ Aug 16 2007, 01:37 PM) *
My mom always gets her makeup from Dillards & Macy's. mellow.gif

Macy's isn't a drugstore...they sell high end makeup like Clinique, Dior, Chanel, Lancome, etc.

*stephinika*
post Aug 17 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #21

I don't wear much makeup, but I use a mix of drug store makeup and the more expensive stuff...when it comes to eyeshadow, I've recently fallen in love with MAC stuff just because it blends and stays on so nicely.

x_curse_of_the_c...
post Aug 17 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #22

Member No: 444,349

I get sephora stuff because cheaper brands test on animals.

cyb3r0ptik
post Aug 17 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #23

:electro[u]nique:

Member No: 561,877

if i had a credit card, i'd be buying some bare minerals.
that is the best concealer/foundation that i have ever used in my entire life.

since i'm poor and can't afford that tho, i usually buy the maybelline matte mousse foundation. it works wonders for me.

i go cheap on eyeliner. partly because i use it. a LOT, but also because i've found that wet n wild liquid does just perfectly fine for me.
eyeshadows, i like all the wild colours, so I have to get MAC, or even now i've found that Max Factor has come out with a really cool line of colours that i adore.

i guess it's just a mixup of what i can afford vs what i want.

$$$ soul
post Aug 17 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #24

xkcd always

^ I use matte mousse fondation (rimmel) sometimes too! it's sooooo much better than regualar foundation, but i also use Prescriptive's foundation, where they custom make your foundation on the spot and give it to you in a bottle. Prettty expensive but welllll worth it.

cyb3r0ptik
post Aug 17 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #25

:electro[u]nique:

Member No: 561,877

QUOTE($$$ soul @ Aug 17 2007, 03:30 PM) *
^ I use matte mousse fondation (rimmel) sometimes too! it's sooooo much better than regualar foundation, but i also use Prescriptive's foundation, where they custom make your foundation on the spot and give it to you in a bottle. Prettty expensive but welllll worth it.

yeah, it makes my face feel much more smooth than regular liquid foundation. and i feel that it covers those imperfections a LOT better.

i haven't heard of perspective, but clinique does the same thing at their cosmetic counters at our local mall.
22.50 for a standard foundation sized bottle.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: