Reply to this topicStart new topic
the silmarillion, jrr tolkien
*futura*
post Dec 5 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Has anyone ever read Tolkien's The Silmarillion? I've only tried looking for it at thrift stores so far. I'm sure they sell it in a million other places but I like old and tattered copies of things.

superstitious
post Dec 12 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #2

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I've read it twice, though years ago. I prefer it to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I think that it's an acquired taste. It's one of those books that takes patience to read, if that makes sense. I love it though. I think I should read it again.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Dec 12 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #3

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Group: Official Member
Member No: 602,927

I have a copy but haven't bothered reading it yet. I hear it's a tough read but is worth it if you can sit through it.

Firiath
post Dec 16 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #4

Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 653,128

The Silmarillion is my favorite book! I actually have that copy you put up, but I can't find it >.<
It's somewhere in my house, and it's a beautiful copy. I've got to go find it.

I love reading about the history of Middle Earth and all the different ages, but that's what people get most confused about. The fact that it covers numerous ages, which is a *very* long time, makes the book seem a little disconnected. I still prefer it over all the other Tolkien books, and it helps you understand the context in which the LotR and The Hobbit books are written in.

*futura*
post Jan 16 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #5

ahhhhh must read this still!

superstitious
post Jan 27 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

Ok, found an old copy (© 1977). Since the end of year work hell has ended and I have more time on my hands, I will start re-reading this tonight.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: