Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you watch what you eat?
sixfive
post May 17 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(awesome me)
Not to be a health f****t or anything but my family kinda started heading in the direction of actually reading nutrition labels and shit so I decided it couldn't hurt to jump on with them and I've been watching what I eat for the most part. When I go out I don't really pay attention, but when at home I figure I might as well eat what's healthy. When you're in control of what goes into your food and drinks it's pretty easy to avoid loads of sugar / bad fats and focus on more important nutrients to consume. If you do it right you can make it taste just fine, too. Fruits and vegetables if prepared properly can be added into almost everything and add flavor to everything.

Got me thinking. Do you watch what you eat? Do you avoid specific things (carbs, fats, sugars, sodiu, etc)?

brooklyneast05
post May 17 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #2

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i don't really watch what i eat. i was talking about this with rik not that long ago. i feel like i'm going to be screwed whenever i get older and my metabolism slows down. i eat pretty good because i cook and my girlfriend cooks, so i eat balanced. i don't eat a ton of junk because i don't feel like it usually/buy a lot of it. i'd usually rather have a steak than a bag of chips. if i am in the mood to eat unhealthy stuff i will though without much guilt since i don't really ever gain weight. basically i'm saying i eat more healthy/well balanced food just because it's what i like to eat, not really because of the desire to be healthy. i think if i felt more consequences to my eating then i would care more about watching what i eat.

tokyo-rose
post May 17 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #3

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

The only nutrients I avoid are trans fat and saturated fat. I try to consume most everything else in moderation, especially sodium.

sixfive
post May 17 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 17 2010, 11:32 AM) *
i don't really watch what i eat. i was talking about this with rik not that long ago. i feel like i'm going to be screwed whenever i get older and my metabolism slows down. i eat pretty good because i cook and my girlfriend cooks, so i eat balanced. i don't eat a ton of junk because i don't feel like it usually/buy a lot of it. i'd usually rather have a steak than a bag of chips. if i am in the mood to eat unhealthy stuff i will though without much guilt since i don't really ever gain weight. basically i'm saying i eat more healthy/well balanced food just because it's what i like to eat, not really because of the desire to be healthy. i think if i felt more consequences to my eating then i would care more about watching what i eat.

I used to eat everything without regard to future consequences. My brother ended up having super high triglycerides so I decided that it may end up happening to me (Granted he weighs 260 / is a football player / got my dad's genes and I got my mom's). I have been able to eat whatever I wanted without feeling shitty or getting fat or anything like that, but I figured why not, might help me out later on in life. My dad and I are the cooks in the house (20% dad 80% me since I moved back home) so I've always been able to make healthy stuff that also tastes good. I guess I've now more than ever avoided the stuff that I know is unhealthy instead of saying "f*ck it it tastes good."

superstitious
post May 31 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #5

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

Ok, I'm SO sorry to be "mom" right now but dammit, Steven. I am so proud of you. haha I constantly have to watch what I eat now because I never cared about it when I was in my early twenties. You'll be so much better off.

sixfive
post May 31 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #6

thanks mom!

datass
post May 31 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #7

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 18 2010, 12:32 AM) *
i feel like i'm going to be screwed whenever i get older and my metabolism slows down.

that. i don't watch what i eat, ever. the only other times i read the ingredients just for fun, checking out the E numbers curiously. i probably should start soon in case i become a fat ass later in life.

synapse
post Jun 1 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #8

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 514,926

try to stay off a lot of foods that are prepared in a fryer. I watch how much of something I'm eating. In the past if I had ordered a med pizza for lunch, it's possible if it was made correctly, i could eat the whole thing in one sitting. Now I eat about 1-1˝ slices.

tokyo-rose
post Jun 1 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #9

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(doughnut @ May 31 2010, 10:13 PM) *
that. i don't watch what i eat, ever. the only other times i read the ingredients just for fun, checking out the E numbers curiously. i probably should start soon in case i become a fat ass later in life.

E? Are those the nutrition facts in Hong Kong?

none345678
post Jun 1 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #10

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

Never. Though I think I may start. Become a health f****t like Steven

tokyo-rose
post Jun 1 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #11

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(spambot @ Jun 1 2010, 02:29 AM) *
Never. Though I think I may start. Become a health f****t like Steven

S'one of the few things I approve of if you're going to follow Steven's act. :P

datass
post Jun 1 2010, 01:41 AM
Post #12

(′ ・ω・`)

Member No: 72,477

E numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number

E numbers are number codes for food additives that have been assessed for use within the European Union (the "E" prefix stands for "Europe").

smash
post Jun 1 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #13

f your couch

Group: Official Member
Member No: 491,301

i watch it go in my mouth.

Matsumoto
post Jun 1 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #14

Member No: 12,577

QUOTE(smash @ Jun 1 2010, 10:52 PM) *
i watch it go in my mouth.

Daaamn you beat me to this ahahaha

smash
post Jun 1 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #15

f your couch

Member No: 491,301

QUOTE(Matsumoto @ Jun 1 2010, 09:56 PM) *
Daaamn you beat me to this ahahaha

hehe great minds think alike.

Kathleen
post Jun 7 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #16

feed me your vices

Member No: 2,800

I avoid high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, and white flour. I don't consume eggs, milk, meat. nod.gif

Matsumoto
post Jun 7 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Member No: 12,577

Kathleen, you're a vegan right? Is it hard finding foods?

tokyo-rose
post Jun 7 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #18

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(Matsumoto @ Jun 7 2010, 03:22 PM) *

I was a pescetarian (the only meat I ate was fish) for about a month before my mother made it too hard for me to continue, but it wasn't that difficult to avoid the meat I couldn't eat. I think I still consumed dairy products, but I limited myself on that since I was more lactose intolerant back then (year-round runny nose).

From what I've seen at college, it's much harder to be allergic to gluten because that's in so many foods. The Campus Center dining hall only opened a gluten-free section during the 2009~2010 after gluten-intolerant students pushed for it.

Kathleen
post Jun 9 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #19

feed me your vices

Member No: 2,800

QUOTE(Matsumoto @ Jun 7 2010, 12:22 PM) *

Yep! I would say that in the beginning, it's hard. Once I did research (granted, it helped that my boyfriend was vegan for a few years before I did the switch), I was able to find cheap vegan foods (I live on my own and am very poor, haha). Once you get past that and figure out what to find where, it's practically second nature when it comes to eating.

I have yet to go somewhere to eat and find nothing. Even fast food places have vegan items (not that I recommend supporting that or consuming such egregious things)! You'd be surprised...

Also, Whole Foods is a godsend for vegans. It may seem expensive, but compared to local grocery stores that carry meat and dairy alternatives, it's much more reasonably priced.

It also probably helps that I live in L.A. When I went back to visit Pittsburgh, I tried a couple vegetarian cafes and wasn't too impressed. I think that I've become somewhat of a food snob, haha.

Were you thinking of becoming vegetarian/vegan?

sixfive
post Jun 9 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #20

I could never stop eating meat no homo but I can decide to eat the leaner meats and leaner cuts. I can also eat meals composed entirely of vegetables, but sometimes I just have to have a nice sirloin or a loaded turkey sandwich.

emberfly
post Jun 9 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #21

kthxbai

Member No: 621,203

I'm vegan. (so, yes, I watch what I eat)

Just_Dream
post Jun 9 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #22

durian

Member No: 3,860

Oh man, I used to be pescetarian back in middle school. My mom cooked a lot of fish back then anyway, so yea that was my main source of meat/protein/whatevz. Other than that, I had a lot of carbs along with fruits and vegetables. I still don't consume a lot of dairy just because I don't like dairy products as much as vegetables :P But I still love froyo ;x

I only watch what I eat when I have my obese days - days where I feel extremely fat/bloated and I'm realllly picky about what I eat. Other than that, I don't watch what I eat, although I need to. I eat WAYYYYYY too many carbs and snack on a lot of random stuff.

Kathleen - I usually go to Trader Joe's for more organic and natural foods, and I've noticed that they do carry some similar products (even some of the same brands), but for lower prices. Actually, whenever I shop at Trader Joe's, the prices are pretty much the same as regular grocery stores anyway, although I hardly every shop there since I hate driving there (next to UCSD, but HORRIBLE parking lot and difficult to get to). The upside is that Whole Foods is HUGE, so they do carry a lot more than Trader Joe's... :P

tokyo-rose
post Jun 9 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #23

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(Just_Dream @ Jun 9 2010, 10:44 AM) *
I only watch what I eat when I have my obese days - days where I feel extremely fat/bloated and I'm realllly picky about what I eat. Other than that, I don't watch what I eat, although I need to. I eat WAYYYYYY too many carbs and snack on a lot of random stuff.

"Mongorian Beef" and "obese" do not belong in the same sentence, unless it's to say how you make obese people appear even heavier than they really are.

sixfive
post Jun 9 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #24

that shit will catch up to you - it always does. i don't gain weight at all right now but still, don't wanna become a fatty

Just_Dream
post Jun 11 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #25

durian

Member No: 3,860

QUOTE(tokyo-rose @ Jun 9 2010, 09:17 AM) *
"Mongorian Beef" and "obese" do not belong in the same sentence, unless it's to say how you make obese people appear even heavier than they really are.

Ah, but I can't be meating all the time because I do gain weight ;'[ After eating 4-5 meals a day and having dessert 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks while in HK, I gained quite a bit of weight. Surprisingly I still looked slim in my HK photos. o__O p.s. durian's like the most fattening fruit everrrrr.

Whatevz Steven, even if you eat fast food, all the working out work should prevent you from getting fat, so PPSSHHH. Doesn't Michael Phelps eat 12k calories a day?! And with quite a bit of fatty foods too... Just sayin'. He could be chowing down a shitload of fast food and still maintain his physique because of all his intense workout(s)...

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: