Resource Center Links

This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | BigBookofResources

Submission Guidelines

Beenly's Sharpening Guide, wanna get some feedback before submitting
Rating 3 V
creole
post Jan 22 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 676,364

I'm surprised there aren't any tutorials like this on Createblog. Sooo, I took some time to go over two different methods of sharpening, Regular Sharpening and High Pass Sharpen for Photoshop CS3 and up ( which should be familiar if you're a designer ). Oh yeah, btw Smart Sharpen is not included because I don't use that and some people don't even have that option. I WANNA KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK! *Gets into serious mode*.

First, you should open the image you are working. I highly recommend high quality pictures because they are much easier to work with and it looks much more professional compared to a blurry, grainy, yucky low quality picture. Here is what I am going to be using for this tutorial. You may use this image throughout the tutorial as a guide.

Next, you want to duplicate the layer. The reason why is because we all make mistakes. So if you made a big mistake or just want to compare the images as you progress, it's highly recommended to duplicate.

Now, you go to the tabs in Photoshop. They should be listed as "Files Edit Image Layer Select Filter Analysis 3D(only for cs4) View Window Help". Click on the one that says "Filter". You should now have a drop down box full of different effects. You need to go to Sharpen and then another side drop down box will appear. Click Sharpen on the side drop down box which will have your first effect. Before I show you the effect, here is an image that will help you go through this whole process if my words were not clear!

Here is the Before and After:

End of First Method
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I begin the second method, I'd like to say that this the method I mostly use now. This method has a different range of sharpening. After I show you the Before and After of this method, I will also show you the comparison between the After images from both methods.

Let's get things started. Open up your image. For this method, you have to duplicate the image in order for this method to work. I am going to be using the same first image we chose in the beginning of the tutorial.

Now, set your duplicated layer to Overlay. To set it to Overlay, all you need to do is change the Layers mode. You can change the Layers mode by clicking where it says "Normal" and a drop down box should appear, then click on Overlay. This method is also compatible with Soft Light, but Overlay has a much more better effect. Your picture should now look more contrasted or darkened. That's fine. Before we move onto the next step, I provided an image of what I just went over if anyone was confused.

Now go to the tabs above(Remember, Filter, Analysis, Window, etc.) and click on Filter. A drop down box should appear and you need to click on Other. Another drop down box should appear to the side and you should now go ahead and click on High Pass. A window with a slider and a box of your image should pop up. Gray colors should appear on the small box(which is fine). The grays represent the things that are going to be sharpened. You should now click on slider or manually type it to set it to 2.0 pixels. You could always adjust the slider to your personal interests if your image isn't sharp enough. Remember though, the more pixels you choose, the more it will look contrasted and less sharpened. Try to aim for low pixels! Once you're done adjusting, click OK. Congratulations, you just finished the second method. Before I show you the Before and After images, here is another picture is you were lost throughout this paragraph.

Here is the Before and After:

End of Method

Here is the After Images from the two methods(Left one is 1st method and right is second method):

Thank you for reading my tutorial. Please post any feedback or any questions and I will reply ASAP.

End of Tutorial

Start new topic
Replies
iDecay
post Jan 22 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #2

Pocketful of Sunshine

Member No: 289,004

wanna get some feedback before submitting

I'll read through this later.

Simba
post Jan 23 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #3

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(iDecay @ Jan 22 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I'll read through this later.
doubtful

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: