Reply to this topicStart new topic
text book prices...why?
brooklyneast05
post Jan 23 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #1

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i don't get why text books are so expensive. i just bought this art history book that is 116 dollars, but i don't understand WHY it costs so much. it's a decent sized book, but it's not huge. what i don't get is...say you go into a regular book store like barnes and noble and you buy a book with art history in it, why isn't it as expensive?

when you go into a book store, rarely do i see any books costing 116 dollars. so what makes text books of equal size cost more?

don't tell me how i can go buy them cheaper balbalbaabl, i'm not asking about buying them cheaper. i'm asking what makes text books like this cost so much more than just a regular book that's similar in size and stuff?

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No: 709,923

Thing i don't get about the whole thing is you pay soo much for books and you try and sell them back and you get like 15$ for it.
madd wack so what I usually do is i wait till the finals week and take all the books everyone else leaves behind and sell them all together.
but chea i don't get it the book isn't higher quality than any other book you can buy so why are they soo expensive.
I mean i understand that they are books for school but still i don't think the prices should be so high since you do need to study and read to learn why is it soo expensive if people want you to learn and suceed.

NoSex
post Jan 23 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #3

in the reverb chamber.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto @ Jan 23 2009, 11:04 AM) *
but still i don't think the prices should be so high since you do need to study and read to learn why is it soo expensive if people want you to learn and suceed.

THEY ONLY WANT THE RICH TO LEARN & TO SUCCEED.

mipadi
post Jan 23 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #4

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

Simple: demand. You need that textbook, right? So does everyone else in your class. Hell, probably thousands of other students in American universities need that textbook, too. You have no choice: no choice in whether to buy it or not*, and no choice in what book to buy, if you do decide to buy one.

Plus there's additional costs. For one thing, textbook companies ship dozens of books to professors every semester in the hopes they'll use it for their classes (check out a typical professor's office -- he'll have several bookcases full of books, and that hawking of textbooks is partly the reason). That costs a lot of money, too.

* I guess technically you could choose not to buy it and find "workarounds", but for the purposes of this conversation, assume you have to buy it.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #5

I dunno bout that. If text book companies are doing all that shipping then why do i have to buy my books. yea there are alot of books just sitting there but we gotta pay for them if there's soo many why not jus give them to us.

See I went o Public School and that's whre we got our books for free. teachers jus handed them out and we used them took them home covered them and used them and then gave them back at the end of the year.

I also went to private school and there you had to buy your books.
but then again in private school you gotta pay for everything

College With the amount i pay just to be there which is 50,000 somewhere inthere should be covering my books.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 23 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #6

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(mipadi @ Jan 23 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Simple: demand. You need that textbook, right? So does everyone else in your class. Hell, probably thousands of other students in American universities need that textbook, too. You have no choice: no choice in whether to buy it or not*, and no choice in what book to buy, if you do decide to buy one.

this part was the only thing i could come up with. when i was discussing with someone else my answer was basically that they can "take advantage of students" because we have to get it one way or another.

but i wanted to ask to see if people had any other ideas or knew of any other reasons that text books really would cost more to make than a normal book. that's a good point about them constantly having to ship out copies in hopes a professor will pick it up and decide to start using it. i didn't think about that.

QUOTE(Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto @ Jan 23 2009, 02:55 PM) *
College With the amount i pay just to be there which is 50,000 somewhere inthere should be covering my books.

for real

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #7

I dunno i think these schools are theives man. real talk cause i found out that my tuition only covers about 80% of my education.
tuition is 50,000
there's about 3-4,000 students at my school
for international students that's a huge amount to pay and they are comin from all over the world students from 50 different countries are here.
now on top of that the other 20% is coming from donations....

doesn't add up
all that money and they can't cover text books.
then u try and sell em back and u get ripped off for them cause thye could be in perfect condition and u could end up gettin ne where from 3-9 dollars for a book

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: