Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should The "N" word be banned from the English language?
Rating 2 V
BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 484,926

I think that everyone should THINK before posting. Thanks.

sixfive
post Nov 12 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

n*gga please.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(kreios @ Nov 12 2008, 01:50 PM) *
No? It's just a word. If the n word is banned, a new word will come up.

So its okay to just allow it to be recognized as an actual word? It was once legal to keep slaves. Its now banned, but in some areas of the world it still exists. Should we have just kept slavery since people are going to do it anyway or find new ways to do it?

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(kreios @ Nov 12 2008, 02:08 PM) *
slavery =/= english language

Actually it is equal if you think about it. Slavery was powered partly by words. Many slaves were enslaved simply because they didn't undestand english. Many were manipulated into thinking that slavery was justified by the Bible, which was written in English. They also could not escape because they could not read English signs and directions. Language can be used as a tool to manipulate people. It can be twisted into all forms of propaganda. Knowledge is Power as Thomas Jefferson said, a man who owned slaves as well. Being able to understand English is a form of Knowledge which is power and therefore allows u to manipulate or enslave others mentally, as well as physically with words.

RCKstarh
post Nov 12 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Onyi eff. babii

Member No: 204,660

i think it's just a word...
even african americans use it with eachother as a sign of friendship or used as a pronoun to represent a guy (sometimes grl)
even tho it should no longer be thought of as a racist word towards blacks it still does. But if the english language does rid of it, they have to rid of "cracker" "s**c" and any other racial slur

brooklyneast05
post Nov 12 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #6

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

no it should not be banned. we don't ban other words, why ban it. besides it's not going to stop anyone from saying it.....

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 02:07 PM) *
So its okay to just allow it to be recognized as an actual word? It was once legal to keep slaves. Its now banned, but in some areas of the world it still exists. Should we have just kept slavery since people are going to do it anyway or find new ways to do it?

what the hell does that even mean? It's already regarded as profanity.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 12 2008, 03:32 PM) *
i think it's just a word...
even african americans use it with eachother as a sign of friendship or used as a pronoun to represent a guy (sometimes grl)
even tho it should no longer be thought of as a racist word towards blacks it still does. But if the english language does rid of it, they have to rid of "cracker" "s**c" and any other racial slur

I agree that the other words should be banned. I dont think blacks should call each other the "n" word either. Many say its a word for friendship. Yea? Well let's see Caucasion or any other race call an african-american the "n" word. I guarantee they will feel offended and react very unfriendly. The same thing goes for "cracker" and any other offensive racial words. If you want a word to call each other as friends, make a new one, don't just try to change a previously offensive word to a friendly word. If that was the case we might as well call each other assholes to be friendly.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 12 2008, 04:07 PM) *
no it should not be banned. we don't ban other words, why ban it. besides it's not going to stop anyone from saying it.....

Murder is banned. People still do it. Should we make that okay just because people keep doing it?

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 12 2008, 04:10 PM) *
what the hell does that even mean? It's already regarded as profanity.

Actually, its still regarded as a word. Research may come in handy for this topic.

This post has been edited by paperplane: Nov 12 2008, 04:20 PM
Reason for edit: posts merged- please do not triple post

only-tuesdays
post Nov 12 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #9

Lets Get Dead

Member No: 641,562

Your argument is reaching a bit far. There is a huge difference between banning a word, and keeping murder illegal. While it isn't a word I like, there is no reason to "ban" it. Since when did we start censoring the language? It has a completely different meaning today, than it did years ago when it was used as a racial slur. People still use it in that context, but it's just a word.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 12 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #10

I'm Jc

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 05:12 PM) *
Murder is banned. People still do it. Should we make that okay just because people keep doing it?

murder physically hurts someone. people walking around saying the nword doesn't physically hurt someone. that was the dumbest thing i have heard on here in a long time. why the hell do you think murder is anything like saying a word? wtf? do you want to arrest people for saying a word? how are you going to "ban" it?

Tung
post Nov 12 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #11

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

Ever heard of freedom of speech?

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 04:14 PM) *
Actually, its still regarded as a word. Research may come in handy for this topic.

No kidding. It is a word, and it will not ever cease to be a word, whether it is "banned" or not.

Saikou
post Nov 12 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #13

最高のLady

Member No: 514,808

"I disagree with what you say, but i defend to the death your right to say it".
It would be pointless to ban a word,you cant stop people from saying it in private.
Freedom of speech imo.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Everyone continues to say "its just a word." If it is just a word, then why can't anyone use it at anytime without anyone feeling umcomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have said banned because you're right a word can't be banned. However, it should be removed from the English language. Freedom of speech is indeed important and people should be allowed to say what they want. However, if we continue to regard it as an actual word, we are saying that it is okay for us to use such an offensive term. People say it doesn't mean the same thing. That's bull. It may not in certain contexts, but as I said earlier everyone can't use it, therefore proving that is offensive and should not be regarded as an actual word.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 12 2008, 04:15 PM) *
murder physically hurts someone. people walking around saying the nword doesn't physically hurt someone. that was the dumbest thing i have heard on here in a long time. why the hell do you think murder is anything like saying a word? wtf? do you want to arrest people for saying a word? how are you going to "ban" it?

Of course saying a word isnt like murder. However, it was an example to prove my point. Im not saying make a law to not say the word, Im saying not to regard it as an actual word.

Tung
post Nov 12 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #16

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

Nobody is saying it's okay to use an offensive term. The fact is, you can't ban a word. People are going to still stay it regardless.

I feel like this Debate topic is going in circles. rolleyes.gif

Edit : Please stop double posting. if you like to add something to say, please edit your post.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 12 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #17

I'm Jc

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 05:34 PM) *
Everyone continues to say "its just a word." If it is just a word, then why can't anyone use it at anytime without anyone feeling umcomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have said banned because you're right a word can't be banned. However, it should be removed from the English language. Freedom of speech is indeed important and people should be allowed to say what they want. However, if we continue to regard it as an actual word, we are saying that it is okay for us to use such an offensive term. People say it doesn't mean the same thing. That's bull. It may not in certain contexts, but as I said earlier everyone can't use it, therefore proving that is offensive and should not be regarded as an actual word.

you can't take a word and make it not a word anymore, that makes no sense. it's a word, it's been a word, and it will always be a word. words don't have to be good to be words. words can be offensive and still be words. the intent or meaning of a word doesn't change the fact that...it's a word.

we regard all words as words...because they are.

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #18

You cannot remove a word from the English language. That makes no f*cking sense. You certainly can't punish people for saying something that's not "regarded as a word." Making a big deal out of this will only prolong the inherent offensive meaning of the term.

batman
post Nov 12 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #19

Member No: 696,018

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 02:15 PM) *
Many were manipulated into thinking that slavery was justified by the Bible, which was written in English.

And here I was, thinking that the Bible was originally written in Hebrew. -_-

Words are just words, whether they're derogatory or not. People choose not to say words because of the history behind them and that's perfectly fine. You can't just erase a word like it never existed. You can't effectively ban a word and expect people to comply. What you CAN do is try to impress upon others that using words in a way to hurt others is a bitchass thing to do.

While we're at this whole banning of words issue, you might as well fight to ban all the other words in the English language that might be marked as offensive.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #20

I don't think everyone is paying attention. Of course you can't punish someone for saying a word. My POINT IS (please read clearly) that the word should not be regarded as a ACTUAL word. When I say actual I mean FORMAL. By formal I mean allowing it to be printed in the dictionary. AINT is not a formaal word and therefore is not listed in the dictionary. However, it is still a word because it is made of letters. Of course the nword will always be a word, but it shouldn't be part of the FORMAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I also believe that any other offensive racial terms should not be regarded as english either. Maybe slang, but not english. I really hope that everyone reads this correctly because it seems as though a lot of people here are close-minded and are not understanding my point clearly.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 12 2008, 04:44 PM) *
And here I was, thinking that the Bible was originally written in Hebrew. -_-

Words are just words, whether they're derogatory or not. People choose not to say words because of the history behind them and that's perfectly fine. You can't just erase a word like it never existed. You can't effectively ban a word and expect people to comply. What you CAN do is try to impress upon others that using words in a way to hurt others is a bitchass thing to do.

While we're at this whole banning of words issue, you might as well fight to ban all the other words in the English language that might be marked as offensive.

Tell me, does the average american use a Hebrew bible? I don't think so. Nor do I think slaveowners had Hebrew bibles. Either way it doesnt matter because slaves couldn't read either one thumbsup.gif

Saikou
post Nov 12 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #22

最高のLady

Member No: 514,808

oh,now i understand a little better what you were trying to say.
The N word has pretty much left a stain on the english language,that cant just be erased.Trying to just make it disappear,would be like erasing History;...sort of like covering up what things happened because of it...be it tragedy or change.<--- Im not really good at explaining things,but maybe somebody will get what im getting at,lol.(Random:I did read about the whole Bible thing ,today actually >_>)

batman
post Nov 12 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #23

Member No: 696,018

Just because people don't get your point, doesn't make them close-minded. It makes you really bad at communicating and/or getting your point across.

And now that I get your point, I still disagree. If by "N-word" you mean n****er, then fyi, it is already considered slang. If by "N-word" you mean negro, I feel like the word has been a part of our history for so long and, though it is considered an archaic ethnic slur now, still belongs in our dictionary. Not every word in the dictionary sheds a positive light on everything and just because you happen to disagree with the usage of this word doesn't mean it should be taken out.

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 04:51 PM) *
I don't think everyone is paying attention. Of course you can't punish someone for saying a word. My POINT IS (please read clearly) that the word should not be regarded as a ACTUAL word. When I say actual I mean FORMAL. By formal I mean allowing it to be printed in the dictionary. AINT is not a formaal word and therefore is not listed in the dictionary. However, it is still a word because it is made of letters. Of course the nword will always be a word, but it shouldn't be part of the FORMAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I also believe that any other offensive racial terms should not be regarded as english either. Maybe slang, but not english. I really hope that everyone reads this correctly because it seems as though a lot of people here are close-minded and are not understanding my point clearly.

It's not about closed-mindedness, it's a matter of you conveying your point horribly. You'd rather accuse everyone of not thinking or doing sufficient research, rather than make an effort to make yourself clear.

Ain't is not in the dictionary because it's a contraction, and not even a proper one at that. I don't think there are any contractions in the dictionary (I don't have a real dictionary so I can't check, but I assume). Regardless, I don't know what make you think disregarding n****er as a word would change its meaning or usage at all. Pretending [potentially] offensive words don't exist does not make them less [potentially] offensive.

only-tuesdays
post Nov 12 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #25

Lets Get Dead

Member No: 641,562

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 01:51 PM) *

Just because it has a negative connotation doesn't mean it shouldn't be regarded as english. This whole "debate" is silly.

Pitt Bulls have a negative stigma. Therefore, they shouldn't be considered a breed or even type of dog. They are an animal, and they are canine, but that is where it ends.

See my point?

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: